R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Which truck to buy????

Hey guys. Making the move from EP tourers to nitro stadium truck and am at a loss as to what to buy.

The shop I buy from has in stock xcellerator or Jato. From what i tell the xcellerator is a very beginner package while the Jato seems to be very high end. Is there some kind of in between that is still race capable and competitive????

Cheers,
Shags
shags_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to losirunner Send a message via MSN to losirunner Send a message via Yahoo to losirunner

um.... Jato aint that high end. High end would be The RC10GT FT or the Losi XXXNT AD2..
get a RTR RC10GT or a RTR XXXNT
losirunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Both the GT and XXXNT 1,2 are very race proven trucks. You'll be able to do well with either. From what I see the gt is better on rough tracks and the losi a bit better on smoother slick tracks. The gt is probably the easiest truck ever made to work on and is also super durable. And both are race legal out of the box. The jato has a 2-speed tranny and to big of tires both keeping it from being race legal out of the box. I haven't looked to closely at a jato but from what I remember it looked heavy and hard to work on.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

What's the GT you're talking about?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Associated GT. Can get rtr version, team version, or factory team.

Associated GT
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Losi XXX-NT RTR 1/10 off road 2WD nitro truck, w/JR XR3i & Mach 15RE
motor , if this is what you want, they will be selling for (AU)$550.

My local stockist can get this, is that ok?

Cheers,

Shags
Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
Tech Regular

That would be the truck.
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shags_j
Losi XXX-NT RTR 1/10 off road 2WD nitro truck, w/JR XR3i & Mach 15RE
motor , if this is what you want, they will be selling for (AU)$550.

My local stockist can get this, is that ok?

Cheers,

Shags
Your laughing!

$550 is an excellent price for a RTR NT. The JR radio system is a lot better then what is used on the RTR GT.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just bought a Losi XXX-NT to get back into R/C and it is awesome. The JR radio is better than the associated kit. The mach .15 is so easy to tune and it starts with 1-2 pulls even after lots of use. Just run O'Donnels fuel which has plenty of oil in it, no after run oil is needed. After run just fouls glow plugs. My engine is a couple years old and is like new.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by losirunner
um.... Jato aint that high end. High end would be The RC10GT FT or the Losi XXXNT AD2..
get a RTR RC10GT or a RTR XXXNT

Well regardless what you think dude I got a jato and a T-maxx, and a revo on the way. You are probably one of those Traxxas haters. For a beginner that is exactly what I have and would suggest one to anyone. I drive mine as hard as anyone on here and havent broke any thing exept some body post. Besides traxxas parts are so much eaiser to come by, and the motors are a whole lot more consistant to tune. I think the jato is a high end stadium truck very worth the money.
crash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Mustang2 Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang2

well if your gonna race and you get a Jato...you will have to convert the 2 speed over to a 1 speed....so Jato right out of the box is not race legal...I would go with a XXX-NT AD2....
Mustang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I'm sure most local race tracks will let you run your Jato with no problems..

Shags, the shop you're going to is most undoubtedly a Global/Hobby People store. I'd look for an independent hobby shop, which will have more of a selection in terms of RTR's and kits, and you'll be able to look at Team Losi vehicles as well.

Regardless of the fuel you use or the oil content within the fuel, you need to run the engine completely out of fuel and use an after-run oil or spray WD-40 through the glow-plug hole when you're done running the engine for the day. After-run oil won't foul glow-plugs unless you use too much of it. Just a few drops is all you need.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
Tech Elite

I used to use wd40 as after run until one day I left my sleeve and piston in a ziploc coated with wd. Next day or so the wd40 had turned to a jelly like substance that was gross. I don't want that in my engine. Now I use marvel mystery oil for after run when the motor will not be ran for awhile.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

I looked at all of the nitro 1/10 stadium trucks. My wants were a truck I could race, available tuneing information, and parts availability. It boiled down to 2 trucks, either the XXX-NT from Losi or the RC10GT from AE. Parts for both are easy to get in my area so that was a wash, theres good tune info for both, and both are race trucks. The thing that swayed me to the Lost XXX-NT was the higher perceived quality of the Losi Truck, the better radio included with it, a more race worthy design, electric spin start rather than pull start(just something else to go wrong), and the fact that it wasn't from AE. I got fed up with them dealing with the problems I had with my RC18 MT, they weren't real customer friendly. In looking at Losi as a company and the support that they offer I found that they seem to be much more supportive of racers than AE is. I got the feeling that all AE cares about is selling you the product and after that you are on your own. With Losi you have direct access to the guy whose name is on the side of the truck and the same guy that races it for a living. Look at Losi's web site, they link you to the direct e-mail accounts of all their drivers and they do reply when you contact them. AE doesn't even offer the names of thier drivers let alone access. The only one of their factory people that is readily available is Tony Phelan and he is sometimes hard to get an answer out of.
DarkRubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:55 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash21
Well regardless what you think dude I got a jato and a T-maxx, and a revo on the way. You are probably one of those Traxxas haters. For a beginner that is exactly what I have and would suggest one to anyone. I drive mine as hard as anyone on here and havent broke any thing exept some body post. Besides traxxas parts are so much eaiser to come by, and the motors are a whole lot more consistant to tune. I think the jato is a high end stadium truck very worth the money.
I used to have a Jato and it's more suited as a basher than a racer. I tried racing with it and it's quite a handful to control, primarily due to the TRX 2.5. I ended up having to put 30,000 wt differential oil and loosening the slipper clutch to the point that the nut was 1 or 2 complete turns away from just falling off just to keep it from losing traction. Not exactly durable either, I've had 2 broken rear shock towers and a bent front turnbuckle. I'll admit it is fast but it's not worthy of being a racer.