Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 8ight-T clicking sound from front end >

Losi 8ight-T clicking sound from front end

Losi 8ight-T clicking sound from front end

Old 01-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight-T clicking sound from front end

Guys, I just finished putting together my first Truggy (Losi 8ight-T, converted to brushless, used from this site) and did a trial run today. Under acceleration, if the wheels are turned fairly tight, I get a clicking sound. It happens under hard braking as well.

I have attached a link to videos that you can hear the sound in. (It won't let me post a link, too much of a rookie I guess!)

I just want to make sure I don't have an issue that I need to tear into.

By the way, this is not a dig on the used truck at all, I got a good deal and I know it's used, so no worries there.

Thanks, Joe
Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mossman2 View Post
Guys, I just finished putting together my first Truggy (Losi 8ight-T, converted to brushless, used from this site) and did a trial run today. Under acceleration, if the wheels are turned fairly tight, I get a clicking sound. It happens under hard braking as well.

I have attached a link to videos that you can hear the sound in. (It won't let me post a link, too much of a rookie I guess!)

I just want to make sure I don't have an issue that I need to tear into.

By the way, this is not a dig on the used truck at all, I got a good deal and I know it's used, so no worries there.

Thanks, Joe
Sounds like a bad ring and pinion on the front diff. May be stripped or may just be shimmed incorrectly. Usually, its the rear that does it more than the fronts, but they do skip teeth from time to time when worn.

Also, check the center driveshaft couplings. They also wear out and can cause all sorts of problems.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Did you make sure to lubricate everything? Could be a bearing also. I agree that it's LIKELY diff related but it could be anything from the bearings to the diff.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

only when wheels are turned tight? you mean steering ? my jc rims rub on my 2.0 truck when turning sharp and make a clicking sort of noise.
if its your diff you shouldnt need to turn to make it happen
Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Check the cvd's, and make sure they aren't tight with grit or sand. What happens is it's tight, it "flicks" the inner dogbone against the cup as it rotates. Try putting some foam piece or tiny O-rings inside between the inner dogbone and cup, so the inside dogbone end lightly bumps it. I'm kind of glad to see this thread, I'm having a weird knocking sound on hard straight acceleration myself, sounds like a car engine knocking speeding up as I get faster. And a slight clicking on light right and left turns under slight accel during turns.

I haven't torn into the dif yet, so if you figure it out let me know lol.

Eta I had a dished out dif cup do this on my buggy as well. Clicked when turning. The inner dogbone moves in and out while the suspension travels up and down, and makes the crosspin slide in and out under stress.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Everything was clean, no significant wear on the cups on the differential. The wheels/tires are not rubbing.

I wish I could upload the YouTube link so you could hear it. I think it's the front diff if I was a betting man.

Might tear into it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-31-2016, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

MM, just PM me the video link and I'll post it.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Well I tore mine down today, inspected the pinion and ring and bearings thoroughly, hardly any wear, mesh was awesome. I did find the frt center cvd under the boot dry, so serviced it. Also changed out the complete center dif for another brand new one, just in case as well. Still there, Not as distinctive now, really have to listen for it. I think the future holds a set of buggy difs, so for now I'll live with it. I also replaced all the a arms while I was in there. Hit a chunk of brick recently someone tossed into some grass. Bent a pin and gouged the crap out of one of the arms. Losi's are brutal trucks indeed.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Video links sent to Spookie, thanks!

Took it out on Sunday and broke a rear cvd in the first 10 minutes. So no more progress on this one. I did read a lot and I am going to focus on shimming the front diff and see if it gets better.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Here you are Mossman, it sounds like ring and pinion skipping to me. I would say rear dif, since it was in a small wheelie when it did this. Mine doesn't sound like this at all. Mine is slower knock. Be careful what you buy to repair this with. When I pulled my frt dif apart is wasn't a 12tooth pinion as expected, but a 10tooth. ;( I forgot to count the ring. A quick way to find out if it's rear or frt, let it rest against you're foot to block it with tires on the ground, then give it light throttle and listen to which dif the noise comes from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNci_ymKc_s
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZw6Q9WbvH8
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by spookie; 02-01-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mossman2 View Post
Video links sent to Spookie, thanks!

Took it out on Sunday and broke a rear cvd in the first 10 minutes. So no more progress on this one. I did read a lot and I am going to focus on shimming the front diff and see if it gets better.

Thanks!
I am thinking the gas truggy center dogbones will fit in this. I have some on my watch list on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381457329605...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I use gas buggy dogbones on all four corners of my 8 buggy. So alot of this stuff interchanges.