Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread! >

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Like Tree36Likes

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the 8IGHT-E 4.0 Wiki

USEFUL LINKS

Overview
Manual
Pictures
Parts

Print Wikipost

Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TxLoser
Thanks. I'll put those on before I run it.
Tip from Reno Savoya - Use a hole puncher with the smallest hole to drill a small one on top of the shock boot, right around shock collar. It will prevent ballooning giving a freer movement for the shaft without getting dust inside.

I use the smallest size on my hole punch tool to make the hole in the shock boot...works well

-Traig
TxLoser likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by clarktg
Tip from Reno Savoya - Use a hole puncher with the smallest hole to drill a small one on top of the shock boot, right around shock collar. It will prevent ballooning giving a freer movement for the shaft without getting dust inside.

I use the smallest size on my hole punch tool to make the hole in the shock boot...works well

-Traig
Thanks Traig
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
I have not even finished my E 4.0 yet and already thinking about the possible upgrades. I am curious about the Smart Diff's and the E-clutch. Trying to understand more about what they do and when you would need or want them.

I will add that I am not (at this point) a serious, formal racer. We have an informal, mixed vehicle, dirt track with some jumps at what is primarily our flying club. I may or may not delve into formal racing some day. I am interested in getting around the track fast. So I am asking if the Smart diff and/or clutch make the 4.0 easier to drive fast or what are their functions. Gimmicks or worthwhile?

Thanks for any input.
Don't get the clutch....it didn't work for me. It felt like it lost power, couldn't hit jumps that I normally hit perfect. Spend the money on pionons or tires, my clutch is collecting dust.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by platgof
So for indoor racing the shorter ackerman is preferred?
From testing and racing the short will help make sharp turns on small or large outdoor tracks. Don't know if it'll do the same indoor.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TlrLosi210
Don't get the clutch....it didn't work for me. It felt like it lost power, couldn't hit jumps that I normally hit perfect. Spend the money on pionons or tires, my clutch is collecting dust.
Yet there are other people who really like clutches on electric cars. I ran one for years in a Tekno conversion and had no problems making jumps. Nitro cars have no problems making jumps with clutches.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ta_man
Yet there are other people who really like clutches on electric cars. I ran one for years in a Tekno conversion and had no problems making jumps. Nitro cars have no problems making jumps with clutches.
Smh...yet some like white tires some don't, some like blue not red....guy asked for tips and I gave him my experience. I'm pretty sure I've seen a nitro make a jump or two ....come on were talking about electric of course nitros can make jumps. And he's asking about putting it on his TLR not his tekno, i have no idea how it would work on that model.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Finally got to run the new buggy. Total failure. All builder error(me). First off, I'm not ready to drill holes in a new chassis so I used the Protec clear double sided servo tape for the ESC. That lasted two jumps. Then ziptied it under the chsssis and rolled around real slow to make sure things worked for the most part. Next I noticed my left front wheel bouncing as I ran down the straight. Must not have used locktite putting the shock piston on the shaft. Those two parted ways at some point. Again locktite... Missed it on one of the screws between the motor and mount, so that was moving.

Fixed all that and today I picked up some 30lb 3M double sided tape. This stuff seems much more stout than the Protec tape. Maybe tomorrow I can make it through an entire pack.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

The grey/black 3M tape also called extreme or VHB is amazing... You'll have to pry that ESC off with a flat head screw driver.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Furadi
The grey/black 3M tape also called extreme or VHB is amazing... You'll have to pry that ESC off with a flat head screw driver.
It really is amazing. I went through three packs today. Had some crazy cartwheels and that thing never moved.
Furadi likes this.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Happy holidays. Really enjoyed running this car a few days back minus one thing. If I don't land perfectly, just a tad nose low, the back end pops up and flips the car over on it's lid. First buggy coming from SCT, so maybe this is a buggy trait. I thought it may be a bit more forgiving on the landing. I built it stock w/battery forward and emulsion dead. I'd prefer not to throw parts at it, so for now I thought I'd try moving up to 30 or 35wt shock fluid in the rear to slow the shocks. Any other ideas, or do I just need to get consistent landing a little nose low? I really like every other handling characteristic. Track is fairly smooth, hard packed indoor and has a number of sizeable jumps.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The car is bouncing? Maybe you didn’t build shocks correct way? Or rear shocks leaked? Also get rid of stock springs and get evo springs. A lot of people use yellow rear. Front violet or blue.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Happy holidays. Really enjoyed running this car a few days back minus one thing. If I don't land perfectly, just a tad nose low, the back end pops up and flips the car over on it's lid. First buggy coming from SCT, so maybe this is a buggy trait. I thought it may be a bit more forgiving on the landing. I built it stock w/battery forward and emulsion dead. I'd prefer not to throw parts at it, so for now I thought I'd try moving up to 30 or 35wt shock fluid in the rear to slow the shocks. Any other ideas, or do I just need to get consistent landing a little nose low? I really like every other handling characteristic. Track is fairly smooth, hard packed indoor and has a number of sizeable jumps.
Definitely not a buggy trait. Think you could get video of what's happening?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Sounds to me like he's tail slapping the chassis and it's front flipping. I'd increase the rear shock oil or stand the rear shocks up by moving the top out on the rear tower.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
Sounds to me like he's tail slapping the chassis and it's front flipping. I'd increase the rear shock oil or stand the rear shocks up by moving the top out on the rear tower.
I did bump the rear oil wt from 25 to 30. Headed to the track tomorrow. See what happens with that. I'll work on technique and also may bump it to 35 if no results .Next step I'll move the shock out a little. The crazy part was I'd try to take it easy and go slow over the jumps. It still flipped. Got a workout that day running back and forth .
Old 12-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I did bump the rear oil wt from 25 to 30. Headed to the track tomorrow. See what happens with that. I'll work on technique and also may bump it to 35 if no results .Next step I'll move the shock out a little. The crazy part was I'd try to take it easy and go slow over the jumps. It still flipped. Got a workout that day running back and forth .
Sounds really weird. I'd love to see video. You really shouldn't have to deviate from the stock setup just to land jumps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.