Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread! >

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Like Tree36Likes

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the 8IGHT-E 4.0 Wiki

USEFUL LINKS

Overview
Manual
Pictures
Parts

Print Wikipost

Old 03-02-2016, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by james633
I drove the AE and Losi back to back tonight on a mid bite indoor track. Drove my 4.0 and a friends new 4.0 with a different setup. One was 0 degree diff and the other was 4.4. Both had 5/5/3 diffs and basically a stock setup with emulsion shocks.

... Long story short on a smooth indoor track, in the hands of a good drive (not me lol) AE is the faster car. It turns like an on road car and carved the track. It simply carries more corner speed and feel naturally fast...

But for me an average driver I turned about the same lap time more or less with the AE RC8B3e and the 4.0. I felt like the 4.0 was easier to drive and it drove through my mistakes/bobbles. When I drive bad it stayed stable. The AE was super fast when I drove it clean and smooth. I feel like the AE is the faster car but I will finish better with the Losi. For now I will keep both cars and do more testing.
Put both cars to their box stock setups and see which is better.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Let the car break in, it will get better.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dietz
Let the car break in, it will get better.
Yeah I figure the setup should dialed, setup from the Losi guru... lol.

I don't plan to change much and will just race it. With the 4.4 center diff angle the 5k center diff seemed too soft. I feel like I am going to blow my front tires off.

I did like the 4.4 better than the 0. The car is less edgy to me with the 4.4. I am guessing most long term Losi guys will like the feel of the 0 angle as it has that aggressive on power feel. I am going to keep the 4.4 and go up my center diff to try and split the difference between the 0 and 4.4 angle.

Last edited by james633; 03-02-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Yeah I figure the setup should dialed, setup from the Losi guru... lol.

I don't plan to change much and will just race it. With the 4.4 center diff angle the 5k center diff seemed too soft. I feel like I am going to blow my front tires off.

I did like the 4.4 better than the 0. The car is less edgy to me with the 4.4. I am guessing most long term Losi guys will like the feel of the 0 angle as it has that aggressive on power feel. I am going to keep the 4.4 and go up my center diff to dry and split the difference between the 0 and 4.4 angle.
Ya i like the 4.4 as well! 7K in the center will be the way to go with the 4.4 for sure.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there a trick to getting the axle boots on? I wasn't able to get the wheel hex set on with them so I installed without.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LifeIs2Short
Is there a trick to getting the axle boots on? I wasn't able to get the wheel hex set on with them so I installed without.
I had to take mine on and off several times to get it like I wanted. You have to make sure the aluminum seal or whatever it is that goes over the boot on the other side gets seated down well.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Pat Sr. Had to sand down both the hex and washer down to make sure there was zero bind in the driveline. I found a cheap set of new 3.0 axles on ebay so I am running those until outdoor season starts.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just make sure the bearings are seated all the way. Should be no need for filing or sanding.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

You want to make sure when you slide the boot over, you just get it over the first little ring in the stub axel. Once you do that it should be easy, once i slid it to far over...no way was everything going together
Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

It really isn't fair to judge a new car until you have really ripped on it for some pack to break everything in, get everything all nice and loose. Then work on setup
I do think the AE has way more corner speed then my 4.0, broke in or not. I ran mine also back to back and i felt way faster with AE but lap times didn't show that. Half a second off, maybe. I didn't feel fast but it did feel easier to drive, felt more confident. especially in the "Jesus, please take the wheel" section of my local. My 4.0 was brand new, not broke in and it was a lot easier to drive. I can tell you first hand, AE is not the greatest car in the ruff unless you are a very good driver like Cav or really close. Coming from Motorama, watching AE take TQ and as the weekend went on. Watching the track get a little more rutted up. That AE got a whopp'n by TRL in the mains. It might not always be the very best car at every track, but it should be really good
Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

I went and practiced today to try a couple things. I reconfirmed that the 4.4 was better for me, i think it actually had more steering and the lap times showed that. The 0 actually made the car push. I am running basically box stock with emulsion shocks, battery up front. It is very rare to find a pretty close to box setup be so great. So props to who ever came up with it.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

I tuned the car more tonight and got it really good now. I have drifted a bit off of the kit and the Dietz go fast setup. I just needed more steering at the local frozen (no real heat) track.

Taking out a little bit of front kickup, shorter wheel base (one in) and moving the front shocks in on the front arms dropped my lap times by about 0.3 seconds. Does not sounds like much but that adds up quick. So my laps are the same as my fast laps with the AE now but the Losi seems to get less upset in the rough.

Last edited by james633; 03-02-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

I tuned the car more tonight and got it really good now. I have drifted a bit off of the kit and the Dietz go fast setup. I just needed more steering at the local frozen (no real heat) track.

Taking out a little bit of front kickup, shorter wheel base (one in) and moving the front shocks in on the front arms dropped my lap times by about 0.3 seconds. Does not sounds like much but that adds up quick. So my laps are the same as my fast laps with the AE now but the Losi seems to get less upset in the rough.
Just out of curiosity with it being 20-30F at your track would you want to drop the oils 2.5-5 WT TLR oils? More so a general question for anyone.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

maddog, have you adjusted the camber links any? Im going to try that lower spot on the rear tower the next time my car goes on the track... What about sway bars? Anyone try the 2.5?
Old 03-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by maddog9
Just out of curiosity with it being 20-30F at your track would you want to drop the oils 2.5-5 WT TLR oils? More so a general question for anyone.
Yes normally. I feel like the specs on the Losi kit oils are softer than listed. 42 front and 25 rear already seem too soft. I am used to running AE oils. Another 4.0 with 37.5/25 AE was MUCH stiffer than my car. When it warms up will go to AE oils just because I know them better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.