Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Entry level brushless >

Entry level brushless

Entry level brushless

Old 01-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by need4rc View Post
I'm thinking sub $200... is that too low? looks like i'm not allowed to mention any names on this forum, but i've seen chinese generic clones in that price range. if the $200 ones are complete trash, then of course i'd rather spend a bit more and get a decent one.
It all depends on what you want. If you want new, ECX might be a brand worth looking at in your price range. Might even be able to find a brushed slash for around your budget. Swap in a brushless kit after you blow up your motor. If you could do used, the sky is the limit. There are so many cars out there that can be had for under 200 bucks. When buying used, your money will go A LOT further.

As far as some of those generic clones, just remember this; You get what you pay for.. Yeah they might be cheaper on the front end, but when you break something, good luck finding parts. So then what? Just because your budget is 200 bucks, that does NOT mean that you are limited to generic clones. You can get a good quality rig well within your budget.

AE, Losi, Traxxas, ECX, Durango, etc etc.. All great brands with plenty of parts support.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Look at arrma or vaterra. I picked up a Vaterra raptor and it's a beast.. parts are all over the Web and it's price is reasonable for what u get..
Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I started with a Redcat. Almost drove me out of hobby before I even got started. $200 is a bit low. Used is an option. A lot of people buy something, drive it few times then it gets left in a box. Bit of risk with an off road, never know how it's been driven.
2wheel drive will be cheaper then 4wheel. Rustler,Firestorm,Slash,Blitz all come to mind. Takes practice to get used to 2wheel drive. But it's a lot of fun. Set of paddle tires in the sand.
This hobby it's cheap. Can be done on a budget. But I've always tried to be honest about cost. Look through the brands we've suggested. See what catches your eye.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Buy once, cry once. Just saying.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omgbilly View Post
Buy once, cry once. Just saying.
2nd that.

I just got back into the hobby after many years out so I had to buy EVERYTHING... I'll end up spending around 1 grand. Even a used roller will still cost you money in electronics, etc. Go with a Traxxas Slash RTR. They're super durable and cheap. I think you can get a brand new brushless system for around $280. Throw in the traxxas charger and battery for probably another 150? and you're ready to roll. Just like any hobby, it's going to cost you some money. Used definitely helps in some cases but it is a huge risk .. Just like buying a car after someone returned it as a lease. People know that they will be upgrading their RC after some time so they ride em hard. Maybe wait a little longer and save up some more money. No sense rushing in and getting out quick due to frustration.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
A lot of people buy something, drive it few times then it gets left in a box. Bit of risk with an off road, never know how it's been driven.
It all just depends on how bad it is beat up. Every part on the car is replaceable. So even if it is beat to hell, if you can get it for a good price, go for it.. A few bucks in parts and it's brand new again. It all just depends on the price.

If I can find a car for $150 that is beat up vs the same car that is in pristine condition, but $300. Ill buy the one for $150, spend $50 in parts + a new body and for $100 bucks less, I have the same car as the one for $300...

I guess you just have to know what to look for and what parts support looks like.