Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Driving Techniques? Braking >

Driving Techniques? Braking

Driving Techniques? Braking

Old 01-26-2016, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Driving Techniques? Braking

Hi,

I was looking at Short Course Worlds video with Ryan Cavalleri and I didnīt get how to apply this braking techniques in my driving.
Brake all the time, before corners, in corners as well.
Can someone explain how to apply this properly?
Does someone have any video tutorials how to drive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Xwk7vQ9pQ
Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Torvald View Post
Hi,

I was looking at Short Course Worlds video with Ryan Cavalleri and I didnīt get how to apply this braking techniques in my driving.
Brake all the time, before corners, in corners as well.
Can someone explain how to apply this properly?
Does someone have any video tutorials how to drive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Xwk7vQ9pQ
Seemed like he explained it pretty well. Cavalieri has a distinctive driving style if you watch his ebuggy videos. Don't know what your driving but it makes a huge difference 4x4, 2wd, ebuggy, short course all have a very different driving style.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TraumaChaser View Post
Seemed like he explained it pretty well. Cavalieri has a distinctive driving style if you watch his ebuggy videos. Don't know what your driving but it makes a huge difference 4x4, 2wd, ebuggy, short course all have a very different driving style.
Do you have an link to that video or can I buy it somewhere?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I agree with Cav. However, IMO he doesn't explain it well enough. Braking forces need to match the vehicle's speed, corner type, and traction limitations. A lot of racers will master throttle control, but don't apply not enough brakes (coasting for too long) or apply too much brakes to late causing the buggy to loop out if it's 2wd or understeer if it's 4wd.

Last edited by nv529; 01-26-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There was a great discussion going over on Jason Snyders FB page from Dec 25th after he posted the Cavalieri video.

It got me to realize that I was one of the coasting, stab the brakes, guys.

I dialed in 20% drag brake and was amazed how much it helped my lap times.
I'm still off the pace of the super fast crowd but it really helped me see how important brakes are and how much difference it makes.
I'm able to stay on power longer before a corner and it really brought a lot of steering to my setup. When I want to coast I just stay on power slightly.

Now I just have to learn to use the brakes properly and take some drag brake back out.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
There was a great discussion going over on Jason Snyders FB page from Dec 25th after he posted the Cavalieri video.

I'm still off the pace of the super fast crowd but it really helped me see how important brakes are and how much difference it makes.
I'm able to stay on power longer before a corner and it really brought a lot of steering to my setup. When I want to coast I just stay on power slightly.

Now I just have to learn to use the brakes properly and take some drag brake back out.
Brakes are no different than throttle control, you should "roll" into them the same way as if you were trying to maintain forward grip on a slick surface while accelerating.

Last edited by nv529; 01-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What kind of brake percentage do you guys set on your ESC's?

I got this new (to me) Durango DEX210 with Viper VTX10R BE ESC and when I slam on the brakes the car slows rapidly and spins around just before it comes to a stop. There's a braking "noise" that I hear that sounds a lot like dirt pins scraping the asphalt, but I can't quite tell if it's locking the tires. When coming to a stop from a slower speed I can tell it's not locking the tires, but I don't know if it's doing that when stopping from full speed. I don't think it is because I'm not creating any flat spots on the rear tires.

So is it too high to have your brake setting on the ESC at 100%. Is it normal to have that set at something less than 100%?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by emerilnut View Post

I got this new (to me) Durango DEX210 with Viper VTX10R BE ESC and when I slam on the brakes the car slows rapidly and spins around just before it comes to a stop. There's a braking "noise" that I hear that sounds a lot like dirt pins scraping the asphalt, but I can't quite tell if it's locking the tires. When coming to a stop from a slower speed I can tell it's not locking the tires, but I don't know if it's doing that when stopping from full speed. I don't think it is because I'm not creating any flat spots on the rear tires.

So is it too high to have your brake setting on the ESC at 100%. Is it normal to have that set at something less than 100%?
ESC noise/feedback is normal under braking. Every car and track condition requires a different amount overall braking power. I program about 80% in the ESC (usually too much brake) and then fine tune it out on my radio depending on how much grip the track has.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Are you talking about drag brake or manual braking. Most pros use 0 drag break but I don't know what most use for brake force. I have. I have mine set for 80 but if your heavy on your trigger control go ahead and lower it to what feels comfortable. If you set it to low it's hard to nose down in jumps.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

I have a Viper 10R BE in my buggy and I found running about 60% brake force is about right. I have the Viper 10R in my SC and with it being a bit heavier, I find that 80% is about right.

With more traction you can run slightly higher braking force.

I usually run about 10% drag brake in both.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your feedback.
Iīll tried to find that discussion on Jasons page..

Itīs all about timing and practice.
Itīs always interesting to look at what to practice on.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Most pros use 0 drag break
I went through all the setup sheets on the Orion website for 2wd buggy.

ALL the pro's on there run right about 10% drag brake in 2wd buggy.

It makes sense to me. Goes back to what Cavalieri said. He talked about motocross racing. If your not on the gas you better be on the brakes. No coasting.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Are you talking about drag brake or manual braking. Most pros use 0 drag break but I don't know what most use for brake force. I have. I have mine set for 80 but if your heavy on your trigger control go ahead and lower it to what feels comfortable. If you set it to low it's hard to nose down in jumps.
I was talking about manual braking. And from what I'm seeing here it looks like setting something less than 100% is absolutely normal.

I also found setup sheets and a Viper programming guide on petitrc.com where it actually recommended never running brakes at 100%.

Thanks for the info guys, and sorry to jack your thread, Torvald.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

I was talking about manual braking. And from what I'm seeing here it looks like setting something less than 100% is absolutely normal.

I also found setup sheets and a Viper programming guide on petitrc.com where it actually recommended never running brakes at 100%.

Thanks for the info guys, and sorry to jack your thread, Torvald.
Hey not thread jacking. Every question is providing some good answers.

I know I'm learning a lot.

I think 100% would be full lockup. Not good for racing.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

I think 100% would be full lockup. Not good for racing.
Or bashing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright Đ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.