Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Driving Techniques? Braking >

Driving Techniques? Braking

Driving Techniques? Braking

Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think the correct answer here, is that all of them can be correct with the said hand on the radio wheel. This really comes does driver preference.

If you are just starting out, try the following, and dial it from there (you will find with research that these settings are similar to what Maifield runs on occasion).

ESC settings:
Drag Brake - start with 10-15%
Initial Brake Setting - keep drag brake setting here so you are smoother on the uptick, rather than setting this higher than the drag brake.
Maximum Brake - try 62.5-75%
Neutral area - set at 6% narrow so you have less travel to work the brakes and throttle.

Radio - Dial your EPA 100%throttle, and 90% brake and go from there.

Good luck - again, practice makes perfect.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Question on braking throttle for a 4wd.

On my 2wd I get really nice quick rotation when breaking around 180's. I find if I apply the brakes and turn the wheel it rotates beautifully. Then straight onto the power.

I recently bought a 4wd buggy and just cand seem to find a technique to rotate around 180s. It feels like I just can't find a technique to rotate quickly around them.

Can anyone elaborate on there approach to 180s or sharp corners using a 4wd?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't forget that there's no such thing as a driving style that'll work all the time everywhere.

It depends on the relationship between the tire and the track surface as well (traction circle). Some tire/track will have the same amount of side traction as longitudinal (acceleration deceleration) , other will have great traction but almost no side bite and other the opposite.

It means that in some situations you best solution will be to never brake of accelerate when turning and on some other track/tire combinaison you will actually have the most grip when braking/accelerating and turning at the same time. That's up to you to feel this and adapt, it'll be intuitive after a while don't worry.

Ps: that's why people like me do very well on the raceday at my track but I do quite poorly at other tracks. My timing which works at my track doesn't work elsewhere. The solution is to go to other tracks and practice like I do now.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

I usually set my esc at 80% on indoor rubber and 70% for indoor clay on my B5M FL
Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Volition View Post

On my 2wd I get really nice quick rotation when breaking around 180's. I find if I apply the brakes and turn the wheel it rotates beautifully. Then straight onto the power.

I recently bought a 4wd buggy and just cand seem to find a technique to rotate around 180s. It feels like I just can't find a technique to rotate quickly around them.

This all depends on a few factors, track type and conditions (loose, medium or high traction), Tires, and car setup.

When I got back into this seriously I had my 410 but was running the 19 front blocks and the car tended drift a bit and turn wide so I ran about 50 laps of practice and played with braking a ton and found that although it would allow me to turn tighter, I had to slow to a crawl to do so while others zoomed past me. Then I decided to try and throttle steer it and it worked. However, I couldn't simply come into corners hot and then expect to whip it around via throttle steering it. I had to brake pretty hard at the last minute (my brakes are set to 70% on my Rev pros) and then, when the car was at the ideal speed, I'd feather the throttle according to the rotational need for each corner and I could whip the rear end around just enough to maintain momentum.

A few weeks later I bought the 21 front blocks for it and the car was now super smooth and could turn much better and hold a line easily so I could maintain speed through the turns. I'm now running an SB401 with the Center diff, and although the car is superbly balanced and turns well, the lack of a slipper forces me to be gent on the throttle so I'm often out accelerated exiting corners so braking just right is paramount if I am to hold my position or catch someone up.

The most important element to all of this however, is tire selection, Tire Selection, TIRE SELECTION!!! Get that right and most cars will drive as if on rails.

BTW, it helps to know what wheeler you are running as well as setup and you can always ask in the specific thread for that buggy.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks incubus. Great reply.

I'm asking about a cat k2 I drive in 17.5t stock. I've got setup advice from those guys. I suppose with this thread I'm interested to hear about your input techniques.

I'm relatively new to this and want to not pick up any bad habits from the get go. Too hard to break down the line.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Some good info in here... Im going to try the drag brake tonight
Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
Some good info in here... Im going to try the drag brake tonight
I dropped my drag brake from 20% to 15% and started to try to use the push brake more. I'm still very inconsistent with it and just wound up coasting a lot. I'm still off the elite pace but I am faster with more drag brake.
Just seems easier and more consistent to me.
On the gas or on the brakes. No coasting.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

It is a matter of 2wd Vs 4wd. On a 2wd you only brake with the rear wheels, so it is easy to slide the back of the car. On a 4wd you brake with the four wheels, so on a slippery track taht leads to an understeer.
So my take would be to slow the car sooner, before entering the corner, then turn off-power or maybe with some power if you want to slide the car.

You can also, depending of your car, add a one-way, which disconnects the front part of the transmission under braking, simulating a 2wd under braking. They are slightly out of fashion but can be helpful on a twisty track.

Edit: I see you have a K2, so the one-way you may need is called a FAB in Schumacher lingo.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks incubus. Great reply.

I'm asking about a cat k2 I drive in 17.5t stock. I've got setup advice from those guys. I suppose with this thread I'm interested to hear about your input techniques.

I'm relatively new to this and want to not pick up any bad habits from the get go. Too hard to break down the line.
I have to say, I am jealous!

The K2 is wearing on my patience. Don't know how long I can hold out before finally buying myself a damn Schumacher. LOL

17.5 4WD is tough because you come up to top speed so quickly and although all 4 wheels are pulling, it's barely easier to make jumps compared to 2WD 17.5 because of the speed. It's almost like trying to hit an off-speed or knuckleball pitch in baseball. You have to time it just right. Practice going wide before turning in tight to the apex while applying medium braking to see if you can get your K2's front end to dig in dive as you get close to the inside. if you can get it to do that you should be able to feather your throttle a few times to get it to rip right through the corner.

If it can't do that, stay just wide of the grooving brake fairly late and when you feel your car is drifting a bit, father the throttle a few times until you get the rear end to break loose just enough to get the rotation you need to take the corner quickly. This one takes considerably more practice to master and is the least ideal solution, but if you're ever in a time crunch between rounds and can't get everything set up just right, having this skill can prove to be the ace up your sleeve.

So practice, Practice, PRACTICE!

Hope my practice goes well tomorrow. Going to test my YZ-2 and do a ton of setup work for the 2nd round of the JC Supercup.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

For those of you using drag brake, if you feel your car is better and easier to drive around the twisty bits but find it wants to nosedive on you in the air, try and stay on the throttle a bit longer than you are accustomed to and you should be able to figure out the ideal timing to keep the drag brake from rotating your car forward so early in the air. I think I have mine set at 7% right now and it's good. Had it at 15% before and it wanted to do a front flip. Hobbywing brakes on the 3.1 are quite smooth but powerful.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
For those of you using drag brake, if you feel your car is better and easier to drive around the twisty bits but find it wants to nosedive on you in the air, try and stay on the throttle a bit longer than you are accustomed to and you should be able to figure out the ideal timing to keep the drag brake from rotating your car forward so early in the air. I think I have mine set at 7% right now and it's good. Had it at 15% before and it wanted to do a front flip. Hobbywing brakes on the 3.1 are quite smooth but powerful.
What timing - tried drag brake for the 1st time last night, and was shocked at the nose dive coming off jumps - was also set at 15%.
17.5 / Hobbywing Justock with Max Brake set at 100%, radio dual rate set at 60%. I went right back and turned off the drag brake since it was a race night and practice was limited.

I'm thinking I have my brake setting backwards, and should turn down brake force on the ESC and turn off the dual rate on my radio. Will go to the track to test and tune on Monday to try this out.

Bruce
Old 02-12-2016, 03:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I haven't experienced any radical nose diving even at 20% drag. I keep my overall brake at 50-62.5% and radio at 100%. Just a blip of the throttle fixes any nose dive I get.
I wonder if the percentage is different on different speed controllers? I read that Tekin doesn't have a percentage but a number like 1-20. Maybe my 20% is 20% of whatever total braking I have programmed so it's not truly 20%? I have an Orion R10 Pro.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
What timing - tried drag brake for the 1st time last night, and was shocked at the nose dive coming off jumps - was also set at 15%.
17.5 / Hobbywing Justock with Max Brake set at 100%, radio dual rate set at 60%. I went right back and turned off the drag brake since it was a race night and practice was limited.

I'm thinking I have my brake setting backwards, and should turn down brake force on the ESC and turn off the dual rate on my radio. Will go to the track to test and tune on Monday to try this out.

Bruce
I run 15-20% drag depending on how slick the track is. But for jumps I let off the throttle a little but now enough to bring the drag brake into play. Once I am near the down side of the receiving jump I let off completely to bring the nose down and hit the throttle once on the ground.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Is there an advantage to limiting the ESC maximum brake versus limiting it on the transmitter? I always just set my ESC to 100% maximum brake and use my transmitter to limit it, usually to 60-80% depending on conditions. Figured it's much easier to change from the transmitter than the ESC.

As for drag brake I always use 5% which is just basically what I learned to drive and race with. Maybe I should experiment more with a higher setting. Racing with a B5M 2wd buggy, finding the right amount of maximum brake has always been tricky for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.