Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues >

Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues

Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues

We got our Ofna Electric 1/8 Hyper SS and within 4 jumps the front shock cap busted, does anyone have any upgrades for this issue. I noticed its just made of plastic. I have heard great things about Ofna, but this buggy is brand new and already an issue. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.ofna.com/hyper-ss-buggy.php are your shocks exactly like those ?

my ofna/hobao hyperstar e uses the same shocks. They can handle hell ! the cap and body are aluminium. Inside the cap is a plastic rod end and is unbreakable too.

what part of the shock did you precisely break or damage ?
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

OFNA Hyper SSE is the exact model and broke the shock top cap. This is not aluminum its plastic, I believe the bottom shock cap is aluminum. The shocks you showed me look like them but not positive. The part #23049 is part of what had broke on ours. I am getting most of my info from my 13yr old who knows a bit more than me, but I am sure we aren't describing it the best!
Attached Thumbnails Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues-pic1.jpg   Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues-pic2.jpg   Ofna 1/8 electric buggy shock issues-image.jpeg  

Last edited by ruttrowreroy; 01-25-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

oh ok, I see
I never broke this part ( but I bent a bunch of shockshafts ! ) , but it often popped out. That's why I added a shim to keep it in !

as you can see here :
Old 01-26-2016, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Are your top caps plastic? Yours look like aluminum...Maybe it was just a fluke, I dunno...I was hoping if I was to get another one the same type to upgrade somehow....
Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

now I see your pics
I have the exact same shocks as you and I never broke them like you did ! And believe me my hyper star, hyper 9e went through hell ! ( just like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCsIdKd0G4 )
I guess it's bad luck !
repair it and my bet is that you will never break it again !

add some spare parts to your order : front lower arms and I heard that some people broke the upper arms too

the rest is the sse is durable from what I read ( I wanted to buy the same buggy but ultimately choose the mugen mbx7r eco )
Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks so much for all your help---we will reorder and go from there! One last thing my son said when he jumps it nose dives/back dives...cant remember which....is this controlled with the throttle? Or is there something to balance on the jump ?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ruttrowreroy View Post
Thanks so much for all your help---we will reorder and go from there! One last thing my son said when he jumps it nose dives/back dives...cant remember which....is this controlled with the throttle? Or is there something to balance on the jump ?
indeed : it depends on the shape of your jump, but in every case you have to adjust the throttle after the jump

an excess of gas will lead to back dive or ultimately backflip
braking can lead to nose dive or even front flip

even steering in the air changes the left and right balance

I'm all about air control !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3DJJ_PlQg

is your son Learning to drive and jump ? then in my opinion you got the right buggy. parts are cheap, ofna is a good saler ( I ordered my buggies there )
don't forget to put blue loctite on any screw that seats in a metallic part. mostly the motor mount. if don't don't, the screws will get loose !
Old 01-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks again. We will tighten them up. Yes is still learning the skill of jumping. He has a slash which is all upgraded and is learning how to beat the crap put of it!! Damaged transmission in that right now. Dads going broke!!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

funnily i also came back to RCs with a slash. Quickly broke it !

then I went to 1/8th which are much more reliable !

RCs are great for kid to learn mechanic !
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Ha!