Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
3 gear vs 4 gear transmission. >

3 gear vs 4 gear transmission.

3 gear vs 4 gear transmission.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 3 gear vs 4 gear transmission.

I search and cant come to a clear view of the advantages of running a 3 gear or a 4 gear transmission. I race indoors mostly medium to high traction surface. I run right now a Durango ST on mid motor 4 gears. What will be the difference if running mid motor 3 gear vs 4 gear. I think same thing applies to most brands with option of running 3 or 4 gears.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...onfigurations/

This helped me
Old 01-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...onfigurations/

there you go

Ha ,,,, was typing I guess
Old 01-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Seeing that you have nothing but Durango's in your sig, and the above guys have linked you to the trans difference...

Team Durango's website includes an "in the pits" section that hosts quite a few articles regarding the tuning options for your vehicles that maybe you have missed.

http://www.team-durango.com/in-the-pits.php#ttt-top
Old 01-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
Seeing that you have nothing but Durango's in your sig, and the above guys have linked you to the trans difference...

Team Durango's website includes an "in the pits" section that hosts quite a few articles regarding the tuning options for your vehicles that maybe you have missed.

http://www.team-durango.com/in-the-pits.php#ttt-top
Thanks for the reply. I do run all Durango. I had other brands but once I got one I wanted all of the same brand since they share parts. And I wanted to be different from everybody else LOL. I was in the looks of a 2wd buggy and debating of 3 or 4 gear tranny. Some ppl run 3 and others run 4 and I don't see the big difference because they all claim theirs is faster. Ill take a look the the links above. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do run all Durango. I had other brands but once I got one I wanted all of the same brand since they share parts. And I wanted to be different from everybody else LOL. I was in the looks of a 2wd buggy and debating of 3 or 4 gear tranny. Some ppl run 3 and others run 4 and I don't see the big difference because they all claim theirs is faster. Ill take a look the the links above. Thanks!
Best I can tell the 3 vs 4 deal depends on traction levels, driving style/preferences, and modified or stock power. Since you have the option with a bit of wrenching it's a great opportunity to try it and see what works for you.

Last edited by Dave H; 01-21-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

One thing I didn't take away from reading Durango's blog is that the 4 gear is numb to throttle inputs in the air.

Dino helped me out when I could not get mine to land well at all. Consider 3 gear if you have jumps that require some throttle (EDIT: or brakes - I use the term interchangably) to land properly.

I was running 4 gear on our low traction dirt outdoor track, but now with 3 gear I can land big gaps perfectly (almost) every time. I also did not notice any loss of traction moving to 3 gear.

4 gear is more prone to wheelies. Take note, that this could be a a problem with mod motors. In high speed sections I found it skaty.

(The above post is my experience in rear motor. Might have reversed effect in mid.)
Old 01-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Tech Prophet

3 gear mid motor works fine on Medium traction and higher . From trying both 3 and 4 gear i actually like 3 gear more it just feels more natural kind of handling and your electronics stay much cooler for sure. Honetly i think 3 gear is going to be faster on the track with a good setup and a driver who stays on its wheels the drivetrain is just more freer than 4 .

You will notice a difference from running the two .

Both running mod motor .
Old 01-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I might switch around and test 3 gears if i might notice a difference. I currently run Mod with a 7.5T motor.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

A 3gear transmission changes the direction that motor torque is applied to the chassis, in a 4 gear transmission the torque of the motor causes a weight transfer to the rear wheels. A 3 gear causes a forward weight transfer under acceleration. This means the car stays flatter in the turns and has greater on power steering. Personally i like 3 gear over 4 gear
Old 01-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

got me sold... im trying 3 gears....
Old 01-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Tech Prophet

You can push the 3 gear mid motor harder also at least i realize that compared to 4 gear must be because its more stable . This was when i ran the Dex210 V2 with the B5M now im going to see soon.