Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8 Scale RTR Brushless Buggy Price Differences >

1/8 Scale RTR Brushless Buggy Price Differences

1/8 Scale RTR Brushless Buggy Price Differences

Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/8 Scale RTR Brushless Buggy Price Differences

After looking at some 1/8 scale RTR brushless buggies , I've noticed a pretty big price difference between some of them :

RC8.2e RTR = $435 w/ Tower code.
Losi 8ight-E RTR = $660.
Vorza = $567 w/ Tower code
Arrma Typhon = $378 w/ Tower code.

Why the big gap in prices ? Are the Losi and Vorza really that much better than the Associated and Typhon ? The Losi is especially expensive (maybe due to AVC ?). But it's over $200 more than the Associated and almost $300 more than the Typhon. But why ? That's a pretty big difference in price.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Ill try to answer this best I can.

the 8.2e and losi are close to their kit counterparts. I would say the 8ight is more expensive because the parts are a little higher spec (closer to the race kit) and the electronics are IMHO better than the ae rtr bits. The AVC is cool, but when you can pick up a gyro for less than $50 that does nearly as much its not that cool.

The vorza is essentially an electronic version of the last generation of hot bodies cars, more specifically the D8. It comes with genuine castle products, although HPI rebrands them and colors them black to match their current line.

The arrma is a lower cost version of the current durango DEX8 competition buggy.

Now everyone will have their opinions of which is currently the best, but I think that the arrma is a great deal at its current price, and for the price of the losi you should be able to pick up a well treated 8ight kit 2nd hand with electronics
Old 01-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Ah thanks. I was also surprised to see the Losi 8ight-E and the XXL2-E 2 were at the same exact price point. But that's neither here nor there.

Arrma seems to have the best (or one of the best) values going on with their rigs , namely the Typhon , Talion and Kraton.

The RC8.2e seems tried and true but I can't help but wonder when it will be replaced by a RTR version of the RC8B3e.

I'm not very familiar with the Vorza or HPI. It just looks cool and is pricey.

Then there's the Serpent Cobra RTR but it does not appear to be as popular as the others.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Consider the new JQ electric RTR. It comes with a Hobbywing ESC and 1800 kV motor, which is a really great competitive combo
Old 01-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The electronics in the Typhon are not that great. The other buggies have better electronics.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis View Post
Consider the new JQ electric RTR. It comes with a Hobbywing ESC and 1800 kV motor, which is a really great competitive combo
JQ ? Never heard of that company. But I'll look into it.

The Losi looks like it has a decent set up for a RTR but the plastic shock caps baffle me. RTR's are all about compromise from what I've read. Buggy A has the best motor/ESC combo but has the cheapest radio. Or buggy B has the best parts support but its stock electronics are crap. But such is life.

There's always the kit route. And someone said that Losi sells rollers brand new. Might be worth looking at.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have had a ready to run electric that over heated during normal usage I had to go down two pinion sizes to race it
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

DeathWish9 the rtr buggy with the most potential on and off the track is undoubtedly the Serpent 811 be RTR (SER600006)
Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
DeathWish9 the rtr buggy with the most potential on and off the track is undoubtedly the Serpent 811 be RTR (SER600006)
I just read a full review of the Serpemt in RC Driver (online). Looks to have the highest quality RTR package along with the Losi. And the Serpent's radio looks superior.

The motor and electronics in the Serpent are labeled "Dragon". Is this a rebrand ?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeathWish9 View Post
I just read a full review of the Serpemt in RC Driver (online). Looks to have the highest quality RTR package along with the Losi. And the Serpent's radio looks superior.

The motor and electronics in the Serpent are labeled "Dragon". Is this a rebrand ?
Be a gem and let me know which you are choosing. They do use a version of the Savox steering servo
Old 01-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
Be a gem and let me know which you are choosing. They do use a version of the Savox steering servo
I'm favoring truggies at the moment. The Kraton (I know it's an MT but it has truggy DNA) and Talion. Might do a Losi Eight-T roller. If only the high end companies like Mugen and Tekno had RTR's.

But for RTR buggies I def like the Serpent Cobra and Losi 8ight-E. The RC8.2e seems dated with the new RC83Be now out. But the Vorza still looks appealing.

Just got over a foot of snow over the weekend here so I have plenty of time to shop around.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I read a customer review somewere that said that the serpent rtr quality of parts was nothing near the kit versions.