• 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 5 Post By lowspark

Ballooning Front Tires - Diff Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ballooning Front Tires - Diff Oil

Hey All,

My Outcast 6s has excessive ballooning in front tires and it just wants to wheelie all day long.

I have ~200k diff oil in center diff. Any ideas to reduce ballooning fronts?

Is it possible I need to lighten center diff oil to keep the fronts down? I’m just starting to play with changing diff oil weights.

thanks!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Thickening the centre diff oil will make the car more like permanent 4wd which will reduce the front wheels running faster than the rears and thus the ballooning.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

thicker center oil. will only reduce front end ballooning until the resistance of the oil is overcome. ballooning of the tires will begin again, now with less to no external force preventing the front wheels from balloon till the tires expand to touch the ground again. then external force resisting ballooning will begin again.

thicker center oil will transfer more weight off the front tire to the rears under loaded. increasing ballooning. this improve straight-line acceleration, but hinders your ability to turn and corner the track. this may seem like it will help on loose and dusty tracks. but actually hurts and hinders us. as most track are not straight-line drags but twisty turny city street full of congestion and crashes. adding weight to the front of the truck can and will counter act this affect but should be add in small amounts. and will have negative affects that will be undesirable.

if you would like to test this out got to the extreme and completely locking out your center diff. you will see how little throttle and load is needed to wheelie and back-flip. this should indicate how little lock down or locked up 200k oil is in your center diff really is. compare this to your 200k and empty diff. you'll see how ineffective each case is. and should determined center diff oil in a rage of 1k-50k idea on most tracks. tuned for your driving Style. you'll also see how much weight lose on a tire affects its traction.

what also should be noted is when power is off loaded to the wheel with lest traction it's not offloaded proportionally but in a ratio. so 10% speed/power lost in one side equals 20% increase speed on the other side. the ratios determined by your planetary/spider gears in the diff. ok i lost were i was going with this. but it should be noted
Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1

From the HUDY Tuning Guide:

RogerM and Mahjik like this.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

If you’re ballooning just one front tyre at a time whilst exiting a corner then try to stiffen the rear end or soften the front or alternativley thicken the front diff.

If your ballooning both front tyres as you accelerate in a straight line, then thickening the centre diff should do the trick.
RogerM likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The stock tires are very soft. Designed to absorb the impact on big jump landings. There are going to balloon under 6s.

One of the tire brands. Pretty sure it’s proline has belted monster truck tires that are designed to eliminate the ballooning.
trf211 likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

placing your throttle finger on the edge of a table top and striking said finger with a 16 oz ball peen hammer will eliminate the front tire ballooning issue you are experiencing....
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Actually, I think you have too much power. 6S is pretty mental anyway. Ditch it for a 4S.
Lightening the oil will increase the ballooning as the front unloads even more. Popping wheelies suggests that the center diff is too thick as it can't bleed it off to the front. Doing both is highly indicative of a beastly setup under the shell......
Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

Sir 51D3WAYS
+1