R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree11Likes

Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #496
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
Cain, thanks, i'm quit happy with the result too!
It will take some time, i can try the car, as i have no track arround me over the winter time!
I had a chat with Chris Doughty the other day, about the battery and motor layout, he sayed that preferes the saddle pack configuration on the v5 and as i dont have shortys, i thoght i'll give it a try too.

I've got the replacement 42.5 mm shock shafts today, they look exactly the same, as the stock kit once!
The shop i got my v5 and which sent me the replacements sayed, that td told him, these are one from the new patch, so may the hardening process of the shafts hase changed now, but you cant see the difference.

I'll keep them in my 210F spare box, as i'm using the longer 44 mm one right now on the 410v5.
I think someone mentioned it here but there was a way to check if they were overhardened. Be curious at this point.

If you talk with Chris again, would love to know what the heck is going on with durango.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #497
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I think someone mentioned it here but there was a way to check if they were overhardened. Be curious at this point.

If you talk with Chris again, would love to know what the heck is going on with durango.
The new shafts that came for mine were gold all the way through the threads. But from what Michael said, mine is a later Edition kit, so it looks like they did a running change at some point.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #498
Tech Addict

Something else I hadn't noticed until now, plastic diff gears on a plastic shaft..... Had I known, I would have bought the TD310002 and TD310003 ahead of time. With a 6.5 on 1/8 tracks, I have a feeling I'll be tearing these back down shortly. Anyone having issues?
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #499
Tech Addict

The owner of the shop told me, that td put the golden shafts in the kits, when they made the changes in the production process of the kit 42.5 mm shafts, to keep the kits selling, than, when the new shafts were done, they put the new one in the box and no golden anymore, thats, what he got told from td, or their european distributor!

Alan, i've only heard good things with the composit planatery gears and cross shafts, some sayed they had them in for months, even in mod cars, with no issues!

Cain, i was asking him about that, but as you can think, he could not telling me anything about that...

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #500
Tech Legend

The Gold shafts are the upgrade options from the previous kits. They even had a black version of them too which I think looks pretty trick. Personally hope they actually make them in that material going forward as an upgrade item.

I can't comment on the gears with that hot of a motor but I woudl think since mod is kind of the default in europe would here more about it being an issue. The main thing i heard about was the wing mounts and shock shafts.

Right now I am toying hard with picking up the center slipper conversion to try on carpet with Mckune pads. But, with Durango kind of up in the air on its status here, I dont' really know if dropping $100 on the full conversion is worth it. Maybe getting that darn sun gear to come off and using the locker is a better option or the 1million cst oil instead lol.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #501
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
Something else I hadn't noticed until now, plastic diff gears on a plastic shaft..... Had I known, I would have bought the TD310002 and TD310003 ahead of time. With a 6.5 on 1/8 tracks, I have a feeling I'll be tearing these back down shortly. Anyone having issues?
I have been running them with a 6.5 and its been fine for about a year so far.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #502
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld2llio View Post
I have been running them with a 6.5 and its been fine for about a year so far.
Likewise. Been tearing around in a 7.5T for 6 months weekly on an 1/8th scale track and no issues.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #503
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Been running the plastic internal gears for 2 years now with 7k front and 3k rear no issues at all
Pittster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #504
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
Does anyone tried to stiffen up the rear chassis brace. I think the chassis has too much flex. I will try to make a duplicate of the rear plastic chassis brace in 5mm carbon fiber and see if it helps with excessive flex. Some times it flexes so much that the center shaft pops out of the center diff.
Heck, you are right, i've not looked at that during the built!

If i can't find an easy solution, i think i'm done with that wheeler, sell it an will run my v3 again...
I dont like chassis flex at all, so mine have to be stiff like a steel plate at the end.
I made allready quit a fiew chances to that car, even i'm not done with the built yet!

Realy sad, as i always liked the td cars, the possibility of different battery and motor layouts and the look of it too, but i'm getting frustrated already.

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R

Last edited by micholix; 01-06-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #505
Tech Legend

I like some flex for our tracks here, helps with traction. I wouldn't be surprised based on how they are describing the vehicle they designed it that way to have some flex. if the vehicle was more popular I could see a company doing another stiffer chassis or durango.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #506
Tech Addict

We could ask mike from Exotek, if he can some?
I'll give him a pm, or mail, if he would make a center stiffener for it!

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
Old 01-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #507
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
We could ask mike from Exotek, if he can some?
I'll give him a pm, or mail, if he would make a center stiffener for it!
I haven't given up on the car for 2 reasons

1, I dumped a lot of cash in a ton of upgrades such as, exotek steering bellcranks, servo mount, hexes, wing mount, front driveshaft holder and rear hubs, machined TD ackerman plate, RD titanium shock stand up, lusford turnbuckle kit and the front universals.

2, The car is really easy to drive, easy to set up and is really good. At least in the tracks I drive.

I would be awesome if Exotek made an aluminium brace for the rear. Something I found is that 2 out of 3 times that I popped the center shaft its been the front one and there's no provision to install a front brace. But I will be trying to make the rear one out of 5.3mm carbon fiber.
Dialed-RC Hobbies (www.dialedhobbies.com), SOAR Seiki USA
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #508
Tech Addict

I gave mike a pm, will tell you, what he is saying!

I may have to have a look for the aloy side pots from the dex410 2011 spec, to stiffen up the middle and front section of the car?

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #509
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I like some flex for our tracks here, helps with traction. I wouldn't be surprised based on how they are describing the vehicle they designed it that way to have some flex. if the vehicle was more popular I could see a company doing another stiffer chassis or durango.
Seems like that's where all the engineers are going. B6/B6D/ and it looks like the B64 are intentionally designed to have rear chassis flex to the point a lot of guys will check the chassis after a few runs to see if it's tweaked significantly on a piece of glass or setup board.

I'm fine with it but it's certainly the opposite of what i thought would be ideal (stiffest chassis in real cars give the best handling). But maybe that's more onroad than offroad when you're trying for traction. I don't know enough about baja racers, etc to know if they are design to flex a bit.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #510
Tech Legend

yeah it could be an offroad versus onroad thing as far as flex. Ideally maybe zero flex is "best", but, what is easiest to get working setup wise is flex. Sometimes you gotta take from Peter to pay Paul as my grandmother used to say lol.

as for chassis strengthening, it will be interesting on how to do that to eliminate flex. On other cars I have seen guys rig up turnbuckles to the center diff and various tranny cases for stiffness, but in this case the way the center diff is I don't see how you do that.

Tomorrow gonna do some more racing action. I did put a fan on the motor, its a simple integy combo motor heatsink and fan I had laying around that actually fit quite nice. I'll take a pic when I get a chance and probably redo the plug system on it.