Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which One Would You Buy? ECX Torment Or Traxxas Slash? >

Which One Would You Buy? ECX Torment Or Traxxas Slash?

Which One Would You Buy? ECX Torment Or Traxxas Slash?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Which One Would You Buy? ECX Torment Or Traxxas Slash?

My friend bought an ECX Torment today and after playing with it, I'm hooked and am thinking about getting one. It's a blast and fast out of the box! I like the radio and look of the truck (it even has mud flaps which look very cool-lol) and my LHS is selling them for only $169.99 RTR!

The Traxxas Slash is for $189.99 but this kit doesn't come with a battery and charger. Is this stock motor faster than the ECX torment

We're looking to just bash and have fun. Are there any major pros or cons I should be aware of before I pull the trigger on one? I think both have good parts support and I think Slash is known for being tough...or do I have to spend money to upgrade everything to make it withstand bashing?

Which one is fastest bone stock? Which one is the cheapest to mod?

P.S. I should mention...I've had nothing but GREAT and mean GREAT customer support from Horizon Hobby over the years. This really makes me want to buy the ECX Torment alone. Knowing they will back it up if anything goes wrong.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

People tell me the Torment is a tough truck. But a friend of a friend bought a brushless one when they first came out. Came to the track with us and he ran Sportsman with it. Rear outer wheel bearing locked up. Caused the drive shaft and bearing carrier to snap. Bearings, axle stubs and bearing carriers are all less beefy than the Slash. The next week he bought a Slash roller and swapped the brushless system, radio, and tires onto it. Much better. The ECX came with a Spektrum radio and a decent brushless system, but the servo was the weakest I've ever seen. I threw a Rustler servo in it and made a huge improvement! And I was surprised that the Dynamite Shootout tires actually worked decent on an indoor clay track at frigid temps.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Slash is by far the cheapest to mod...Everyone makes parts for them. And yes, I've had a pleasant experience with Horizon's customer service too.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had both of them. ECX is a reaaaally tough truck. My 6yo drove it many times at full speed against our backyard fence and never broke (120A esc and 7.5T sensored motor). Hot Racing has some sweet upgrades for it too. Slash was an awesome bash or racing truck had a lot of fun doing both. If your looking to bash only, go for the ECX. For my experience that thing was almost impossible to break.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

I'm still torn between the two trucks but I'm interested in these specific ones and both I think look great...

ECX Torment - K&N Edition

Traxxas Slash - Robby Gordon Edition

Is the $60 difference in price worth it for the Slash? I didn't realize that Traxxas was sold by Horizon Hobby which makes me feel better about it...maybe that's why they also have such great support or did HH acquire them recently???

I just chatted with Horizon Hobby who said the K&N Torment edition won't be in stock until early February...so this may sway my decision to the Slash which can be ordered now.

Thanks for the replies! One for Torment and one for Slash...anyone else care to give their opinion?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Honestly work in a Hobby Shop. You are paying for slightly better parts availability and a significantly larger selection of after market parts, but the ECX's has been growing, plus Traxxas just has the reputation for being one of the best basher cars period. Either way I am 99% sure you will be happy. They are both great enjoyable cars.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Tech Initiate

You're gonna be happy with either one. The EXC is more bang for buck, the Slash has more of a following which translates into more aftermarket parts and support. They're both durable and good for bashing. Pick one and enjoy!
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

another vote for the slash here. Super durable, parts everywhere and people fight over used ones around here - resale is always good.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default MY LHS HAS 2 IN STOCK!!!

I just called my LHS and I was calling to place a special order for the Slash and when I gave him the part # he said, wait...we have 2 new ones that just came in!!!!!

So I'm going down now to my LHS and coming home with the Robby Gordon Slash edition! Plus my wife gave me the okay!!!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

+1 on the slash..... Was my first RC car and I abused it. Great basher and I even raced it without many upgrades. Have fun.....
Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've bought one Slash and will never own another one.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Congrats on picking the slash. It's a good little truck for the money. My brother had one and loved it the whole time he had it. He upgraded as we got into racing. The only issues were the motor went out (only $20 and lastEd ~40 packs) and the wheel bearings got gritty after a summer of running. It's not a racer for sure but if you buy an LCG chassis it will compete on a novice level.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies! It's been just over 1 week with my Slash and I LOVE IT!!! My friend has the ECX Torment and he loves his too. They're both great trucks! We've been bashing them in the mud, water, dirt jumps, etc. and these things can take a beating which I love. My friend and I went head on (I was driving his truck and he was driving mine) and at full speed and mine was completely fine! His truck broke the steering block and rear hub but parts are cheap and our LHS had it in stock.

I mean I beat this truck up and it hasn't broke yet. I did buy the blue Traxxas body to use as my basher and I'll keep the beautiful orange (General Lee) body for showing it off. It's been a great, quality, tough truck so far and I'm having a blast!!!!

The only thing I wish is it was 4WD but I wouldn't pay nearly twice as much for it. Where I get high centered and have issues, I'm assuming would cause the same issues with 4WD in most cases. ??? Maybe?

Quick Video...

Here's some pics...
This one wasn't completely staged...our trucks hit head on and then lifted up - lol! Then we put the Dromida buggy in the middle

P.S. Can ya see who made my new box his new sleeping cuby?