Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New E-Revo BL TSM owner: What battery strategy, 2S/3S? >

New E-Revo BL TSM owner: What battery strategy, 2S/3S?

New E-Revo BL TSM owner: What battery strategy, 2S/3S?

Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM
sbn
Tech Rookie

Default New E-Revo BL TSM owner: What battery strategy, 2S/3S?

Hello

I've decided to start playing with RC cars again after a 20 years break. Now, I can actually afford the stuff that I was dreaming about when I was a kid, so I'd go for the Traxxas E-Revo Brushess TSM.
It comes with two cheap 8.4V NiMH batteries and a 12V charger.

I guess that I'd like to step up to LiPo but I'm in doubt about the strategy?

My first thought was just ordering the car, and use it with the stock parts and the stock NiMH batteries for a while, until I'm familiar with the handling. Then, when it starts breaking, and I'm gonna order new parts, I could also order the TRX2990G package with 2x Traxxas 3S 5000mAh LiPos and a dual port charger. (It's on sale for 200 in several webshops and I really like the easy iD connector concept).
Until I buy the battery bundle, I'd fix some cheap 12V PSU for the 12V NiHM charger, as I dont want to waste money on a charger that's being replaced soon.

BUT - are the 2x3S battteries overkill for the E Revo? Some people say that it's hard to handle, and breaks really quick with more than 4S batteries. What are your experiences?

Or could I just use the 6S and then limit the throttle using the transmitter configuration until I'm a pro driver?

Or would you recommend that I stick with 2x 2S LiPos?

I just feels wrong to me, if I buy batteries that I know are not the most powerful, and might be replaced later...

Thanks in advance for your answers