lip storage

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 189 (100%+)
Default lip storage

I have 3 smc 4s batts. Gonna be taking couple month break. Will they lose life being storage charged? They are only a month old. Should I just sell and buy new again? I have hitec quad charger, they always balance charged and in storage mode when not racing.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would sell 2 of them , and keep the 3rd in case I get a nice day or something like that ....

Buy fresh when you will be active again. I don't think they will suffer if you store them properly , but I wouldn't take the chance if it were my money
Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

You can store them for a few months safely. I run different classes summer and winter and my cars take different batts. They normally sit in storage mode for at least 6 months at a time and have done this for 2-3 years with the same batteries with no ill effects.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

You can periodically cycle your batteries if you are worried about it.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
You can periodically cycle your batteries if you are worried about it.
DING DING DING!
I don't think it's necessary for a couple months but I don't see the point in taking a lose on selling them to someone else because you don't know how they were really treated which is why I never ever by a used battery. Plus lipos I'm sure at the warehouse sit in storage mode for a couple months anyways waiting to be sold
Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by patrick lsp View Post
I have 3 smc 4s batts. Gonna be taking couple month break. Will they lose life being storage charged? They are only a month old. Should I just sell and buy new again? I have hitec quad charger, they always balance charged and in storage mode when not racing.
I also heard that storing them in the refrigerator or even the freezer is good for them. Just wait till they get to room temp before charging. I haven't done this but read an article on it. I'm going to do some more research on it.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't sell and buy again! Just keep the lipos at storage charge. Check on them once a month. I had kept mine in storage charge for 6 months. Periodically checked them and topped them off to storage voltage if needed. Took them out for some serious run time past few weeks and no issues, no swelling etc .... running as expected.

I'm not a serious racer so I'm not concerned about having the most fresh packs etc etc ...