B4.2 RTR Tires Suggestion ? Bashing / Onroad/ Offroad >

B4.2 RTR Tires Suggestion ? Bashing / Onroad/ Offroad

B4.2 RTR Tires Suggestion ? Bashing / Onroad/ Offroad

Old 01-01-2016, 09:58 AM
a2t
Tech Initiate

Default B4.2 RTR Tires Suggestion ? Bashing / Onroad/ Offroad

Hey all,

I recently bought a RTR B4.2 and love it. So far this buggy is used in the street or across the yards, general bashing. Once I get better with it I will track it but for now its just an around the neighborhood basher.

I need a good tires suggestion, premounted and ready to install. Looking for something that will last on street but still provide some traction off road. The AE tires that came on this buggy shredded in minutes on the street, I guess they are more for clay.

I was actually looking at SkyQ on amazon, as they have a bunch of 12mm hex wheels and are very inexpensive. Anyone use them for general bashing ? Is there another wheel/tire combo I should look at that may be better ?

Thanks for all input. Not looking to break the bank on this basher, but also do want something I could take on track when Im ready.

I bought some proline tires only but I cannot remove the existing tires from wheels, its all just stuck on the grooves so I guess I need to return these and trash the existing wheels.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM
a2t
Tech Initiate

I found wheels for it for all of $4. I wish my LHS would of told me not to bother trying to re-use the wheels.

Anyways, the tires they sold me are Proline Dirt Hawgs. The tread looks like it should be OK for street and track. The guys at the hobby store said they would be good for me.

Still eyeing those SKyQ for street running. Has anyone tried them ? Complaints Ive heard is they are small diameter and you have to glue them. I might give a try, 4 are $10 mounted ...
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can put the old wheels and tires in acetone and remove them easily. Use scissors and cut the old tires off the wheels leaving as little tire behind as you can . remove the foams , and put the wheels , bead down in a Tupperware with enough acetone in it to cover the bead. You should really get comfortable with this and gluing new rubber up if you think may be at this hobby awhile.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hands down, best "All-Around" tire, is the the ProLine Dirt Hawg.

http://www.prolineracing.com/tires/d...gy-rear-tires/

great for gravel, dirt, barkdust, etc. Tread wear should be minimal.

All my testing in the street or for playing are on these and I love them.

MOmo
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs - street, grass, etc....
Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

thanks guys, i picked up set of pro line dirt hawgs. Im just waiting for the new wheels to arrive.

Ive tried everything to get the rubber off the old 1s. No idea what AE used to put them on but they just wont budge. I'll just wait for the the wheels, they were all of $4 so its pointless to try to mess with em. Although this down time is killing me !

I dont want to risk messing up the new tires on old rims where i didnt get all the old tire off, its a real mess. I'll have a buddy of mine show me how to glue them on, Ive watched some youtube vids on it, doesnt look hard. Thanks for heads up.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

What do you guys think is a good street tire ? Are those skyQ's ok ? They are like $10 a set of 4 ! I wish they made much wider ones for the rear though. This car handles alot like a 911 turbo. Very tail happy. Some wider rubber out back would keep things in check. Just like porsche had to do LOL
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 268 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a2t View Post
What do you guys think is a good street tire ? Are those skyQ's ok ? They are like $10 a set of 4 ! I wish they made much wider ones for the rear though. This car handles alot like a 911 turbo. Very tail happy. Some wider rubber out back would keep things in check. Just like porsche had to do LOL
got a link to them? I see some SkyQ stuff on ebay but not seeing the tire set you are referencing.

The big thing I would think would be the type of compound used on the tires? If they are hard as a rock and cheap, you will just be spinning out.

I would suggest cleaning the Dirt Hawgs with Simple Green, this can help refresh the rubber too.

I also think the Proline Road Rages were a bit softer than the Dirt hawgs and may work better on the street.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

like these

http://www.amazon.com/SkyQ--road-Sha...skyq+hex+tires

i ran the pro line dirt hawgs today, finally. great tires ! huge grip on street, too much grip ! great tire for loose/hard/asphalt but have to be careful on asphalt since it flips easy. would almost WANT a harder compound to slide bit more if just driving street.

broke the rear chassis plate on my b4.2 in an epic 5' cartwheel on street. yuck. need some front weight to run a 3s and 25T pinion in there. its probably hitting 50 mph easy. the dirt hawgs are balloning almost to point of scraping the rear wing so i should dial it back a notch.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Dorthawgs probably the best bet. Anything with a pin will get destroyed pretty quick on the street
Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

any suggestions for on-road only tire, capable of high speeds (50-60 mph) ?

these dirt hawgs are good, but at the speeds im running, the tire is expanding too far and making the car become unstable. is there a rubber slick that is perhaps larger diameter, better suited to high speed street passes?