Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best motor ( mod)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hacker
In this day and age, I don't understand anyone buying a mod motor for $90-$100, when you get a new trackstar for half the price.
This.. I have 4 of them right now and they are all great. TONS of power. I have a 5.5, a 7.5 and 2 8.5's
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
This.. I have 4 of them right now and they are all great. TONS of power. I have a 5.5, a 7.5 and 2 8.5's
Shhh it's a well kept secret lol
Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker
In this day and age, I don't understand anyone buying a mod motor for $90-$100, when you get a new trackstar for half the price.
That's like saying "why pay $7 for a frozen pizza when you can get X brand for $3"......after all they're the same right?

There's more to choosing a mod motor than just power.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer1812
That's like saying "why pay $7 for a frozen pizza when you can get X brand for $3"......after all they're the same right?

I run all Orion, previously all reedy and gave the track star motors a try. They are very good. Clearly you haven't tried them with the statement you have made.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by suby723
I run all Orion, previously all reedy and gave the track star motors a try. They are very good. Clearly you haven't tried them with the statement you have made.
I've driven a car with one in an otherwise competitively/well setup 2w mod buggy - same ESC (R10) as mine even. Perceptibly not as smooth through the powerband as a Reedy, period. Raw power itself was ok, executing the laptime wasn't the same. Not as bad as most would expect but absolutely not as good as one would need at the sharp end of the field. The owner of said car switched to a Reedy and immediately found that little bit he was looking for.

When you're running mod, you probably have thousands of dollars invested in the rest of your equipment, why give up that fraction of a percent that could make the difference between being in the A and being BQ for $50 in one-time savings on a motor that could last hundreds of runs? If you really are competitive in mod, you probably spend that much every few weeks on tires.

Those motors are like owning a Porsche and putting in Pep Boys branded motor oil instead of Mobil One because it's still oil, right?

This is correct:
Old 12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

I guess my skill level just isn't there to take advantage of a more expensive motor. Sounds like I'm going to have to drop over $100 on a motor to be competitive....

Those few wins that I have had with these motor were all just a fluke, I suppose.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Another vote for the TrackStar motors: put one of these in your 4wd buggy and spend the money you save on tires and track fees - that will help your times more than giving an extra $100 to Orion or Reedy. Lots of fast guys running them:

Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PetRock
Another vote for the TrackStar motors: put one of these in your 4wd buggy and spend the money you save on tires and track fees - that will help your times more than giving an extra $100 to Orion or Reedy. Lots of fast guys running them:
You said it so I'll ask..Who?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You said, so I'll ask: "Like what?"..
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
I guess my skill level just isn't there to take advantage of a more expensive motor. Sounds like I'm going to have to drop over $100 on a motor to be competitive....

Those few wins that I have had with these motor were all just a fluke, I suppose.

I never said they were bad motors or that people couldn't run well with them. For you to talk about winning races means NOTHING. I don't know you, where you race, or who you race against. You might come to my track and spank the A main, but I doubt it.

My whole point is that there is more than just "power" when you choose a motor. These days, even with mod motors, it's about "feel". How is the power through the throttle curve, is it punchy, is it smooth, does it have a dead spot, does the power come in early or late, how is the braking, is it smooth, is it linear..etc.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running the Reedy M3's for the last few months and love them, smoothest brushless motors I've ran! Gotta give props to the crew at Reedy for these awesome motors.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

I never said they were bad motors or that people couldn't run well with them. For you to talk about winning races means NOTHING. I don't know you, where you race, or who you race against. You might come to my track and spank the A main, but I doubt it.
Talking about winning races with a certain motor means nothing? Sooo then what are we discussing again?

Let's just say that "best" motor is subjective and move on down the road.

Guess this just means that I really do need to spend 100 plus bucks on a "good" motor so that way people will see how much money I have spent and that automatically means I will spank the A main.

And for what it's worth.. You're right.. You don't know me.. Kind of crappy to tell me that I can't win races just because of the motor I use.. Please.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:01 AM
Suspended

I thought everyone in the States would use an Orion or a Reedy.....

Think I will get a new Reedy for the new Steed.. currently running Orion Vst2 but it has had some miles this yr
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

People run Orion's and reedy, cos that's what wins the major races cos x, y, z runs them!

And what wins....sells......

.....suckers ha-ha

The Orion's and Lrp's I have bought were 2nd hand. I would never pay 100 for a new mod motor.

Smoothness, power delivery etc...what a load of bull! If you have a smooth motor, its gutless..
You can always tune via esc anyway if its too abrupt...

To the people paying top dollar for motors, keep convincing yourselves you have the 'best' equipment, when I motor past you with my cheapo motor! Could possibly be made from the same factory anyway.....

I have never ever heard of someone losing a race with a $50 motor saying their motor held them back. If its too slow, motor up, simple!

Go hobbyking!!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

I really don't get why people go to nice resteraunts when you can get a burger at mcdonalds way cheaper! I mean they're both burgers! People are just wasting money on good food when they can get it this cheap!

Look past the kilo volts and look toward the company, the team, the support, the quality, the engineering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.