Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cup and Dogbone compatibility/measurements, Associated, Mugen, Serpent

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Cup and Dogbone compatibility/measurements, Associated, Mugen, Serpent

Hi! I'm looking for a motor mount and center diff to convert an old nitro buggy. The choice is down to Associated RC8B3e, Mugen MBX 6 or 7 Eco and Serpent 811-Be. That's because these have a sliding motor mount and only require the removal of one part to access the diff.

Since the dogbones that will sit in the output cups of the center diff are a given, I would like to check which of the 3 would be a good fit. I guess the cups and dogbone dimensions are very similar, but maybe there's a surprise.

If you have access to the relevant parts of any of these buggies, would you be so kind to provide the dimensions? That is, height of the slit, inner and outer width right at the slit. Alternatively or in addition, diameter and 2 lengths of the dogbone pin.

Additionaly, I already know all use the same size bearings for the center diff. But what are the installation widths of the diffs? Maybe they are close enough for interchangeability.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Initiate

I got my hands at a RC8B3 front/rear diff. Identical to a center diff except for the lid/spur-gear part. The slits are 3.15 mm tall. Outer diameter 12.6, inner 10.4 mm.

The CEN Matrix dogbones fit in rather nicely, with dogbone pins of 3 mm diameter.

Only since I have access to one: SWorkz S350 BE diff cups happen to have slits of about the same size, with 12.6 and 8.6 diameters.

With the choice of center diff set, there's still the question if it would fit in a Mugen or Serpent mount (I might just buy the cheapest option). With the wrong lid I have, the length across the axis of rotation is 32.9 mm. A measurement of the distance between the diff/motor mount plates should be sufficient and would be nice.