R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Anyone Running a Gear Diff on Indoor Clay? 2WD Buggy. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/902892-anyone-running-gear-diff-indoor-clay-2wd-buggy.html)

hsp-sandiego 12-09-2015 05:43 PM

Anyone Running a Gear Diff on Indoor Clay? 2WD Buggy.

While my young boys are learning to drive r/c, I put the gear diff that came with my centro c4.2 (used) in and I actually think the car feels very good, especially when the track is hooking up nicely.

Anyone else out there using a gear diff on indoor clay in their 2WD buggies?

thanks.

tc5 man 12-09-2015 06:04 PM

I do actually on my Dex210 V2 i use 3k in my tried 4k but that took out the mid corner steering and rotation positive with 4k on clay is it didn't diff out quite as much .

So as long as its medium to higher grip in the day it works fine on clay from running a ball diff honesty im not any faster with ethier one just less of a pain with a gear diff.

Bracket 12-09-2015 06:56 PM

I also run a gear diff, also in a DEX210. I think I use 2k AE oil, but that's more because it's what I had lying around. I too use it because it's less maintenance than a ball diff and I can't say I notice a huge difference in performance.

Pretty sure a ball diff is lighter than a gear diff, so if you're chasing weight, it's one sacrifice to make.

BrandonBreh 12-09-2015 07:23 PM

A lot of people do. Cavaleri won the ROAR Championship with a gear diff (He used 3k oil).

I've been interested in trying one.

Like noted above though, it adds more weight, and it's rotating mass, so its a double whammy.

tc5 man 12-09-2015 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bracket (Post 14299877)
I also run a gear diff, also in a DEX210. I think I use 2k AE oil, but that's more because it's what I had lying around. I too use it because it's less maintenance than a ball diff and I can't say I notice a huge difference in performance.

Pretty sure a ball diff is lighter than a gear diff, so if you're chasing weight, it's one sacrifice to make.

One thing that i think lowers the weight of the gear diff is composite plastic spider gears which i have in my gear diff so that's got to reduce rotating mase. One thing i had to do running a gear diff compared to the ball diff was turn down the expo because it gave me a lot more power on the bottom .

I run Mod Buggy .

hsp-sandiego 12-09-2015 08:24 PM

thanks for the replies. yeah, it's working well. We have ramps we setup in our front yard and the car gets driven at the track as well, so driven a lot... the gear diff is the ticket.

iTz Nicholas72 12-09-2015 08:29 PM

I haven't tried it on dirt but I have a gear diff for my B5M when I run carpet.

I forget how much bit it was lighter than the factory ball diff.

I did only use 2 spider gears to get more fluid in the diff though...

tc5 man 12-09-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 (Post 14299983)
I haven't tried it on dirt but I have a gear diff for my B5M when I run carpet.

I forget how much bit it was lighter than the factory ball diff.

I did only use 2 spider gears to get more fluid in the diff though...

You can use only 2 spider gears never knew that is that only for the B5 gear diff only or all ?

Grizzbob 12-10-2015 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bracket (Post 14299877)

I think it really depends on the diff, though, & what kind of gears are in it. My Tamiya(a TRF211XM) came with both a ball & gear diff, so I went ahead & built both(I'm normally a ball diff kind of guy), & I noticed that with the kit plastic gears(though metal ones are available, but I only run stock classes, so I figured plastic was worth a try), my gear diff is actually 10g LIGHTER than my ball diff(which has tungsten carbide main balls & ceramic thrust balls). but performance-wise, I haven't really noticed any difference, though from what other Tamiya guys have said, the ball diff may be more forgiving on a low grip track. But I've only tried changing them back to back on a med. to high-grip track, so YMMV....:cool:

racesanything 12-15-2015 10:16 PM

I have only personally ran ball diffs in my car. But i have made many laps with my brothers very similar set up with gear diffs. I couldnt tell any difference in how they worked. And his" build it and forget it" almost has me 100% sold on them. No of i can convert something to fit my buggy i will run one for sure.

fanfor18 12-16-2015 10:12 AM

A little off topic. What are you guys using to seal up your gear diffs. Anytime I have used one I end up with a tranny full of diff lube. I just use the stock gaskets.

tc5 man 12-16-2015 10:51 AM

From running the gear diff on the 2wd for a while i noticed on medium traction on the clay is. That 4K diff oil works better than 3k less wheel spin kind of like a tighter ball diff with less diffing out .

Downside is you lose some mid cornering steering and rotation but you tune other things .

tc5 man 12-16-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by fanfor18 (Post 14308832)
A little off topic. What are you guys using to seal up your gear diffs. Anytime I have used one I end up with a tranny full of diff lube. I just use the stock gaskets.

I use just RV seal blue colored replace the gaskets and o -rings if it still leaks there might be a crack somewhere on the case .

Cpt.America 12-16-2015 10:59 AM

There are a couple guys at my indoor clay track (high bite) running gear diffs in their B5ms with great success. I personally like to be able to tighten or loosen my diff on the fly. I usually make at least one adjustment on any given race day. Rebuilding a gear diff to be a bit looser or tighter every time a change in the track would dictate, would be a major pain for me.

tc5 man 12-16-2015 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Cpt.America;14308904]There are a couple guys at my indoor clay track (high bite) running gear diffs in their B5ms with great success. I personally like to be able to tighten or loosen my diff on the fly. I usually make at least one adjustment on any given race day. Rebuilding a gear diff to be a bit looser or tighter every time a change in the track would dictate, would be a major pain for me.[/QU

Yea I wouldn't do it at the track with the gear diff that's a do at home thing but if it doesn't work there is other adjustments on the car .