Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Slick? good or not >

Slick? good or not

Slick? good or not

Old 12-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Post Slick? good or not

Ok so I was wondering if the proline prime of j concept smoothies are any good for racing and my track that I race at is a dry clay indoor track so I need some tires for clay because my barcodes wore down and I didn't know if the slicks are good pls respond

Last edited by Buddy17; 12-08-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

what do people in general run at your track?

that may be the best place to start. Ask the local hot shoes there.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

They will work well when the track is swept off and free of dust, but you will have to be very careful to stay in the racing line. If you stray off into the dusty outer portion of the track, you'll lose all traction.

They don't work when the track is wet or dusty, like it will be during practice.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

My local indoor track is hard packed clay. When we first opened, once the track dirt got broken in, slick would work and were faster than treaded tires, but very sensitive to track condition changes. Most of us preferred a treaded tire. We have since started using dirt glue which seals in the dirt. Now we use slicks exclusively. There is not more buying tires weekly or trying to figure out which tread patter to run, its awesome...
Old 12-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bracket View Post
They will work well when the track is swept off and free of dust, but you will have to be very careful to stay in the racing line. If you stray off into the dusty outer portion of the track, you'll lose all traction.

They don't work when the track is wet or dusty, like it will be during practice.
sounds like you may want some sort of very lightly treaded tire to give you a better all around performance.

however, as I have seen at some places, guys will change tires to match the conditions as they change too. It may be that you will need to do that as well.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
what do people in general run at your track?

that may be the best place to start. Ask the local hot shoes there.
They mostly run electron and some run barcodes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
sounds like you may want some sort of very lightly treaded tire to give you a better all around performance.

however, as I have seen at some places, guys will change tires to match the conditions as they change too. It may be that you will need to do that as well.
Ok thanks I'll take the tip
Old 12-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

When moisture level on our clay\dirt indoor track is pretty high, the Primes are absolutely insane amount of traction. Once you get even slightly outside that very narrow track condition, they get very loose and you best have your flat tracking pants on. Our track is talking about putting a misting system in and I am praying they do. Having the ability to quickly and easily add moisture, bringing up the traction level, the Primes have great traction and extremely low wear. The trouble is they also have a very narrow sweet spot for being better than say Electrons or Typos which both have a much broader range of being in their sweet spot.

On my 1/10th scale I prefer the Electrons for our track and I like the Typos better on my 1/8th scale. I would suggest grabbing several different tire sets and see what you like at your track on your vehicle.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im my experience slicks when track conditions allow are awsume. But this situation doesnt happen regularly. As others have say find the 3 fastest local guys, that will tell you, and see what they say. Maybe a practice night they will loan you a set of tires to try a few laps. I have given out my tires many times for people to try.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, within their preferred conditions, Primes are FANTASTIC, but if your track's condition isn't right, you WILL struggle. Buddy17, at your track, do people's tires look a bit dusty when they finish a race, do they tend to look reasonably free of dust?. If they retain a bit of dust, then I'd say a treaded tire may be the best bet(like an Electron, Chainlink, or Dirt Web), but if they look fairly clear of dust after a race, then I'd say slicks would be worth trying....