Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Motion Shock Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Default Slow Motion Shock Tuning

So while going through the millions of threads here on RCTech, I came across someone's suggestion to make a video of your suspension working in slow motion by having someone drop your car from a foot or so and analyzing the compression and rebound. Sounded like a cool idea so I gave it a try. Wow. It makes it really easy to see if your shocks are the same, different and the difference between the front and rear. Great idea.

So on most of my cars, the videos show the car landing and then slowly returning to static position. However, on one of my trucks, I noticed that the front tires would bounce about a 1/2" to 3/4" off the ground before the shocks would settle. This tells me either I have too much pack in the front shocks or the springs might be too stiff. Is there any merit to this?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There's tons of merit to it but be aware that many people do nothing but copy whatever the pros do which means if the pros don't do it, many will automatically discredit it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What did you use to shoot the high speed video?

I'd love to see it in HD.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Inf: Lol, I'm not one of those. I don't drive like Cav or anyone else and they definitely don't drive on my track so the only setup that works is the one I come up with by tuning my cars. I
start with box setups and go from there. I never understood how copying a setup works as car setup and tuning are very personalized to the driver and track..... Anyway, nothing fancy, just used the feature on my HTC M8. I was surprised how good it came out. I'll try to post it to YouTube and provide a link.

The reason this caught my attention is because on this very truck, landings off bigger jumps can be tricky. The truck either lands very smoothly or horribly. It's harder to stay consistent with this particular vehicle. But it's great everywhere else on the track. So when I noticed the front end bounce in the video, the magic light bulb went off and I started to think maybe this has something to do with it. I've been fine tuning my shock package on this truck for a while now and I've got it real close. But the insight the video gave me made me think.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Here is a quick one I just shot. I apologize for the busy background but you can clearly see the front end bounce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GFt8t0dZg
Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by InfiniteMotors
What did you use to shoot the high speed video?

I'd love to see it in HD.
A lot of smartphones have a slow motion setting for video