Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is the point of 17.5 blinky class? >

What is the point of 17.5 blinky class?

What is the point of 17.5 blinky class?

Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Last edited by Fabulous; 12-08-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Because those changes will be blatantly obvious and he'll get checked and caught. That's the beauty of 17.5 blinky, there just isn't that much opportunity to add power within the rules. Fresh batteries and motors will be a little faster but when guy floats the triple that nobody else even comes close to making?
I have a 17.5 motor that I got from a guy that used to dominate stock with for 6 months. He was teched many times for blinky, weight and voltage because he could make jumps no one else could. I tore it down when I got it and it has a mod rotor in it. No one thought to tear his motor down to tech it, and even if they did they probably wouldn't know what they were looking at. He told me set his epa so that his car wasn't that much faster on the straight than others so he wouldn't raise suspicions. But he had a lot more punch and was able to gear really high and keep temps down. This is the last guy I ever suspected of cheating but he didn't have any problem doing it. My point being it happens and if tech isn't being done then the guys that stick to the rules are getting screwed.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 268 (100%+)

sorry out of the know here, what is so special about the ichargers for stock racing, in particular which one is the culprit?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer723 View Post
I have a 17.5 motor that I got from a guy that used to dominate stock with for 6 months. He was teched many times for blinky, weight and voltage because he could make jumps no one else could. I tore it down when I got it and it has a mod rotor in it. No one thought to tear his motor down to tech it, and even if they did they probably wouldn't know what they were looking at. He told me set his epa so that his car wasn't that much faster on the straight than others so he wouldn't raise suspicions. But he had a lot more punch and was able to gear really high and keep temps down. This is the last guy I ever suspected of cheating but he didn't have any problem doing it. My point being it happens and if tech isn't being done then the guys that stick to the rules are getting screwed.
Did you congratulate him on failing at life?

If you have to cheat to win, is it really worth your time? We play with toy cars for fun, if you have to cheat at that . . . then I really feel sorry for them
Old 12-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
sorry out of the know here, what is so special about the ichargers for stock racing, in particular which one is the culprit?
They can cycle batteries and change at 40+ amps. I have a 306b, it will change at 30a and discharge at 30a . . . 4010 will do 40a, and you can get a separate load to discharge at crazy rates. I bought it (306b) because it is a nice charger. It was $100 onsale at prestige during Christmas last year. Personally I only charge at 2c because I don't buy batteries twice a year, and the punch is really not all that much. You can feel it for the first few laps, but more so on on road where the traction is really high.

The people saying it is necessary to win are deluding themselves. It is an advantage but only if you keep wheels down the whole race . . . and it's a very small advantage at that. That said it's a very nice charger in general, so i'd recommend them to anyone to be honest.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer723 View Post
. My point being it happens and if tech isn't being done then the guys that stick to the rules are getting screwed.
He cheated. Your track didn't have anyone capable of doing tech. That's unfortunate since they then can't deliver what they promise when taking entry fees - fair racing. I'm glad I race somewhere that ensures fair play.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Because those changes will be blatantly obvious and he'll get checked and caught. That's the beauty of 17.5 blinky, there just isn't that much opportunity to add power within the rules. Fresh batteries and motors will be a little faster but when guy floats the triple that nobody else even comes close to making?
But that is the issue...WITHIN THE RULES. I have witnessed people floating jumps only mod cars can make (in the "17.5" class) at several tracks in the area I used to live, people would comment, yet the tracks are reluctant to do anything about it.

I like how the BRCA does it for regional and national races. After your heat your buggy is "impounded" at a table, then while you marshal the buggies from that heat are teched EVERY SINGLE ROUND, EVERY SINGLE BUGGY!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
But that is the issue...WITHIN THE RULES. I have witnessed people floating jumps only mod cars can make (in the "17.5" class) at several tracks in the area I used to live, people would comment, yet the tracks are reluctant to do anything about it.
!
That's a failing of the leadership at your track. It's up to the stock racers to collectively demand enforcement or live with it.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default capable

He cheated. Your track didn't have anyone capable of doing tech. That's unfortunate since they then can't deliver what they promise when taking entry fees - fair racing. I'm glad I race somewhere that ensures fair play.
CAPABLE.....that's a lil harsh.....your better choice would've been to say that no one want to be the enforcer.....we are all capable of doing the job....it isn't that hard....I would help tech vehicles at the big raced when I lived in Michigan for year.....as long as your fair and thick skinned....your good....not everyone will be happy....but those are the choices we make everyday.......
Old 12-08-2015, 06:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

The true point of 17.5t blinky class was to have a comperable stock class to the old 27t brushed stock class.
The point now is for guys who have lots of money to beat up on kids who are just starting out. Basically Pwning noobs. The best motors, batteries, and all the lightweight crap you can buy just to be competitive. I say just run mod and have fun!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
The true point of 17.5t blinky class was to have a comperable stock class to the old 27t brushed stock class.
The point now is for guys who have lots of money to beat up on kids who are just starting out. Basically Pwning noobs. The best motors, batteries, and all the lightweight crap you can buy just to be competitive. I say just run mod and have fun!
Good summary! We need to keep new blood coming into the hobby, and I have seen first hand kids (and even some adults) that do well in novice, get forced to move into "stock" then quit after four races of coming in dead last by over a lap, getting lapped by the leader 3 to 4 times. There is such a disparity between novice and stock classes right now.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't have any real experience with the class , but from what I read here it seems the motors are the #1 cheater problem . Wouldn't a sealed can motor with no timing adjustments go a long way to fixing that ? I know some always will find a way , but come on ....

It also seems to me the greatest cost comes at trying to get down to fighting weight. Wouldn't it be simple enough to raise the min weight for the class ? If the lightest kit sold had to ADD weight to make minimum weight , who would try and lose weight ? Just to have to add it back ?

This extra weight would force people to back up on the gearing some , which would slow the cars some . Which some seem to want .

Would a esc limit of say 60a with no timing help ?

I never got to run 17.5 . Our track is mod only but I certainly wish I could run a spec 2wd buggy class . I love driving 2wd , I suck at it , and learning on track in the middle of a mod heat isn't cool.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been to at least 6 different tracks over the last couple of years and never saw any tech being done at any of them. There just isn't the manpower available. Usually just the RD. And I've seen some really fast 17.5 buggies. Fast enough to question how legal they were.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Flyingjalapeno View Post
CAPABLE.....that's a lil harsh.....your better choice would've been to say that no one want to be the enforcer.....we are all capable of doing the job....it isn't that hard....I would help tech vehicles at the big raced when I lived in Michigan for year.....as long as your fair and thick skinned....your good....not everyone will be happy....but those are the choices we make everyday.......
I think capable was exactly the right word. If they didn't "want to be the enforcer" then they were incapable of handling the responsibility of making their stock class fair for all the paying racers and thus allowed one cheater to spoil the class for at least one racer, likely many more.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post

I like how the BRCA does it for regional and national races. After your heat your buggy is "impounded" at a table, then while you marshal the buggies from that heat are teched EVERY SINGLE ROUND, EVERY SINGLE BUGGY!

You cannot properly tech a motor after it has run. The heat causes resistance to rise therefore giving you a false reading on that measurement. They impound vehicles to keep you near the track so you don't wander off to miss your marshal duties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.