Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is the point of 17.5 blinky class? >

What is the point of 17.5 blinky class?

What is the point of 17.5 blinky class?

Old 12-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A b5m , tekin rs spec , tekin 17.5 , savox low profile servo, and protek shorty pack , 4 tires , pucks , eliminator , and alum top shaft is $795 without coupon. The pucks , eliminator, and top shaft are basically $100 of that total. I did it at A main just to be fast .

I wouldn't think anything on that list is the "best of the best" or "top of the line" , so I think its safer to say the buy in is higher , but the running costs are less.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
About the best you'll be able to do to get things on an even playing field is do what the euro touring series does: you rent the motor (they test them and ensure they're all comparable) then require a just stock esc (they rent those as well) then make people run a spec, already mounted tire. Then you're only putting it to driver, car, and batteries.
Or you just leave it like it is (though I'd like to see a hard ban on high-amperage charging and traction additives) and let it continue to grow.

"pucks , eliminator , and alum top shaft " << None of those items are necessary.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
"pucks , eliminator , and alum top shaft " << None of those items are necessary.
Someone needs to test this.

Would someone who has one of these upgraded 17.5 buggies mind testing out the differences?

High-current charged battery + pucks + cut gears + slipper eliminator + topshaft VS 1C charged battery + stock transmission back to back.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
A b5m , tekin rs spec , tekin 17.5 , savox low profile servo, and protek shorty pack , 4 tires , pucks , eliminator , and alum top shaft is $795 without coupon. The pucks , eliminator, and top shaft are basically $100 of that total. I did it at A main just to be fast .

I wouldn't think anything on that list is the "best of the best" or "top of the line" , so I think its safer to say the buy in is higher , but the running costs are less.
Or you could just buy the Xray XB2 for $325 and be done. They are under weight with a shorty, and will arguably be at LEAST as good of a buggy as the B5m.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Or you could just buy the Xray XB2 for $325 and be done. They are under weight with a shorty, and will arguably be at LEAST as good of a buggy as the B5m.
Wouldn't they still try and lower the rotational mass even with the x Ray ?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Tech Prophet

With running a mod 2wd class if somebody is new to it all you would need to do is lower the throttle EPA or tune down the punch it makes it more drivable for sure.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
With running a mod 2wd class if somebody is new to it all you would need to do is lower the throttle EPA or tune down the punch it makes it more drivable for sure.

if your esc has the ability to turn on current limiter id do that, and leave everything else linear.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bracket View Post
Someone needs to test this.

Would someone who has one of these upgraded 17.5 buggies mind testing out the differences?

High-current charged battery + pucks + cut gears + slipper eliminator + topshaft VS 1C charged battery + stock transmission back to back.
based on what I have seen, mip alum pucks by far make the biggest difference in the stock class next to high c rated batteries. if you don't install these, a short stack motor and/or carbon chassis are the next best items.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
You will have to wait for the "dirt" version to be released ideally. You will have to add a ton of weight to the rear to make it competitive with the B5M on clay as it is now, plus do they even come with a ball diff? The one that was just released was designed for carpet/astro (where they are working awesome here)
Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
^^^ I agree 1,000%

I think you mean be competitive with a shot at winning if they drive flawlessly or more flawlessly than everyone else in their respective skill level. That is what would make it fun for all involved.

At my local tracks I have to bump up from the B-main constantly because we are racing against sponsored and pro drivers who's skill level is a notch above and those of us with a shot have to hope they either knock each other out or make a mistake or have a failure of some sort. Some days when I'm hot I'm right there with them but with how much I work I can't hit the track to practice anywhere as much as they do to always be up there with them. Hopefully this year I have more time to dedicate to racing.
Indeed, & that does bring up one thing I don't like to see, the sponsored guys running 17.5 Blinky, as I believe their reasons for doing it are not because they want to run a spec class, but because they think they have a better chance at winning(&/or because they believe they can get more track time doing it). I DO believe that spec classes in general should be limited to amateur racers, but I do realize that that's a difficult thing to keep track of, so when I encounter a sponsored guy in my class, I try not to get upset about it, I just try to run the best I can(& if I can hang with him that day, I can certainly feel like I accomplished something)....
Old 12-15-2015, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Can somebody add up the cost of this Unicorn $1000 buggy for me that still makes the 1499g weight limit?

We ALL have to buy a servo, esc, motor, and battery. So those don't count. Somebody show me a 1K Stock buggy that makes 1499g's...
Well, my 211XM weighs in WELL under 1499(unless I add extra weight to make 1499), but I didn't have to modify it to do that(first time I weighed it, it was at 1405g), it came that way out of the box, & I only paid $350 for it. And at tracks where they require the ROAR min., it's quite easy to get it to the needed weight, & it allows me to choose where I put it to balance the car. Oh, & or the record I'll also say that I have NO intention of using outrageous charge rates on my battery, I still think it's idiotic, & also VERY dangerous. Not to mention, I rather like getting a decent amount of life out of my packs, & I think doing something like that is a waste of my money(not mention I don't consider myself mistake-free enough to take advantage of those kinds of things, I almost ALWAYS have to be corner-marshalled at least once in a race)....
Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Indeed, & that does bring up one thing I don't like to see, the sponsored guys running 17.5 Blinky, as I believe their reasons for doing it are not because they want to run a spec class, but because they think they have a better chance at winning(&/or because they believe they can get more track time doing it). I DO believe that spec classes in general should be limited to amateur racers, but I do realize that that's a difficult thing to keep track of, so when I encounter a sponsored guy in my class, I try not to get upset about it, I just try to run the best I can(& if I can hang with him that day, I can certainly feel like I accomplished something)....
I'm sponsored and I run 17.5 specifically because I want to run 2 classes. My 4wd buggy isn't finished yet. Once it's done, I'll run 2wd Mod and 4wd Mod. But guess what... I'll probably still run my 17.5 car in mod
Old 12-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
I'm sponsored and I run 17.5 specifically because I want to run 2 classes. My 4wd buggy isn't finished yet. Once it's done, I'll run 2wd Mod and 4wd Mod. But guess what... I'll probably still run my 17.5 car in mod
17.5 is the most poplar class, for a number of reasons. Any racer pro, amateur, and intermediate want to race against as many racers as possible. So I for one don't like losing often, but also I also prefer these pro/sponsored racers be in my class. I use it as a measuring stick on my progress as a driver/racer. When I do place in the top 3 of 15+ racers I feel great, hell if the competition is very tough I will accept a 4th place.

I don't care who the driver is as long as they follow the rules for equipment. When the dust settles during qualifying you will get placed according to your skill level (unless you break often). If you so happen to be in the Z main so be it that is YOUR main with others of the same skill set. Concentrate on winning YOUR main. If you bump great. If not do not blame others who drive all the time, have 50% sponsors, etc. If you are so caught up in being number one of a 100 racers then divorce your wife and kids, quit your job, sell your home and move to the track so you to can put in the track time.

Racing is fun. Great racers don't complain about another racer and their skill set. They congratulate them on their win and try again next time.

So to answer why do we have 17.5? Because there has to be a separation and limit on the motor allowed. 17.5 was chosen to be the cut off for Sportsman Stock. You can run a 21.5 or 25.5 if you choose. But a 13.5 and above would be too much of a motor advantage and is supposed to be Expert Stock.

So we have a 17.5 blinky class, because we have 17.5 motors and it would really be unfair for a 5.5t to be allowed in lower classes.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
You will have to wait for the "dirt" version to be released ideally. You will have to add a ton of weight to the rear to make it competitive with the B5M on clay as it is now, plus do they even come with a ball diff? The one that was just released was designed for carpet/astro (where they are working awesome here)
Yes there is a dirt version to be released soon, and it does come with a ball diff.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

They carpet version from rc America is shipping with a ball diff included .... or they were

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.