Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Info. on 10.5 motors for buggy >

Info. on 10.5 motors for buggy

Info. on 10.5 motors for buggy

Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Info. on 10.5 motors for buggy

hey all

I am looking for a 10.5 motor for my 2wd yokomo buggy. I am racing primarily on turf with it and the 7.5 I currently have is just too much motor for the track...it's too technical to really open up a 7.5. I have already messed with gearing etc...

My question is:

On trinity motors....what is the difference between the D3.5 , D4, Killshot, 24k gold motors???

If anyone has another suggestion I am all ears. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 164 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freakshow__ View Post
hey all

I am looking for a 10.5 motor for my 2wd yokomo buggy. I am racing primarily on turf with it and the 7.5 I currently have is just too much motor for the track...it's too technical to really open up a 7.5. I have already messed with gearing etc...

My question is:

On trinity motors....what is the difference between the D3.5 , D4, Killshot, 24k gold motors???

http://www.schuurspeed.com/spec?product_id=73

Cant ever go wrong with a shuur speed for any type of stock, super stock racing. All of the motors I run from them have been amazingly fast.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

With modified motors, the generationational differences aren't really worth thinking about. They're all fast and it's up to you to choose the wind that is most appropriate for your needs. If it's not fast enough, you drop a wind, not pick a different brand of the same wind, right?

That said, for modified, it's smart to get a modular motor like Novak Ballistic. You can run the 10.5 and if you change tracks or need a faster motor, you can get a stator in any wind you want for less than 1/2 the cost of a whole new motor. Since modified don't often run hot, they basically last forever. I have a 10.5 that's plenty powerful. It's a Novak 4300SS (1st Gen brushless motor) with a sintered rotor in it.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freakshow__ View Post
hey all

My question is:

Trinity D3.5, D4, Killshot, 24K are basically old to newest design.

The D3.5 are very good motors (the 17.5 version is ROAR illegal), the D4 is an outstanding motor which my current choice, the 24K is the newest and I have one and it is very nice.

The D4 is extremely easy to tear down and change rotors and stators. I have not torn down the 24k yet. I have Trinity D4 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, 13.5, and 17.5 motors. Also have Reedy Sonic 540-M3 7.5 which is very smooth.

They are all good motors. If a very technical track you might go with a 13.5, I like the 13.5 only if there are not triples or if there are it is not a big deal to clear them. The Trinity D4 1S 13.5 is nice. Also on sale at A-Main

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...1701rm/p416686
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Fwiw the Reedy Mach 2 and new Mach 3 motors are also modular, that is you buy one motor and then you can swap out different turn stators that are a lot cheaper than buying a whole new motor. The Reedy motors are pretty sweet and ya can't go wrong with them!