R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Questions about vintage Team Associated 1:10 rc10 buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/899764-questions-about-vintage-team-associated-1-10-rc10-buggy.html)

Speedy21 11-14-2015 09:57 AM

Questions about vintage Team Associated 1:10 rc10 buggy

Hello everyone one. I am a newbie here but not a newbie to rc cars. I got into it heavily in the 80's but then a lot of life happened and took me in another direction. I recently lossed my dad and found his Team Associated rc10 #6010 50% completed never used with all manuals box in mint condition,dark gold pan with an MRC highly performance 2 stick control w/servos, battery, motor and bearings. ( To make things Clear this is Not an attempt to sell)
I have done research on the model and it's listed for anywhere between 400 and 899. Some sold for 300 to 1250. My question to you guys is I got an offer for $350. Is that an offer I should take or ask for more. I appreciate any advice that you might be able to give. Thanks.
I will try to post some pics.

Jerm13 11-14-2015 10:44 AM

Well, first off, sorry for your loss. Its something that I personally know what you are feeling and going thru when loosing a parent.

Second, are you 100% sure you want to get rid of it. Not just monetary wise but sentimental wise. Some times, its things like these that are more important to people than money. I have a few reminders laying around my house that I wont part with no matter what the circumstances. If you part with it, will you be OK no matter how much you sell it for. That should be your first and fore most decision.

Third, a vintage RC10 Gold Pan, half assembled with electronics ( mind you, they are time period correct) is going to fetch a little more than $350. Im not saying you will get 6 figures for it, but that was probably a little low. Best thing to do, is a little research. Find out how much people have paid for not just the car, but a whole package. If it really is unused, with manuals and electronics, but only half built, I would finish the build, and ask a minimum of $500 ( and that's off the top of my head). The only reason you may not get up to that $1000, is that it is out of the box.

Good luck in your decision. Its yours to make.

Speedy21 11-15-2015 08:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey Jerm13,
Thanks for the response seeing that at least 100 people checked it out I appreciate your time. Yeah it was rough with my dad and your thought was
much appreciated. I had thought about completing the build I'm just not that great at the whole painting thing. If I was to complete it what would you
recommend should I finish it with the servos and motor at hand or should I invest in new ones. If so which ones are decent. Like I mentioned before I have been out of it for a while but would like to get back into it. I really need to keep myself busy. I've been in a haze since he passed and seem like I never get anything done. I uploaded some pics, I hope this helps.
Thanks again.
Cog

Fasttrak 11-15-2015 10:29 AM

Sorry for your loss, losing a parent is always hard.

No one can answer what you should do but we can give our opinions on what we would do.

It sounds like the two of you might of had a passion for rc vehicles at one point. If it was me, I would finish the build he started and put it in a display case as a show piece in my man-cave. It would always be a cool conversation piece and lead to a good story about you and your father.

I still have the box for that exact model as I built one when they were first released, might still have the manual but the buggy was ground to dust many years ago. By today's standard it is pretty antiquated and not up to current standards so I would not even bother to run it, it would be kind of anemic with that brushed motor and would ruin it to make it more current. Much cooler just having a like new original RC 10, timeless.

Dave H 11-15-2015 01:29 PM

My Condolences too. 11 years for me and it still hurts.

I vote for keeping the old period correct servo, motor etc. Better rememberence if you keep it, as well as probably more valuable if you try to sell it. Some guys like updated runners, but for a new build collectors like all period correct stuff, including the box etc.

There are a ton of old beaters around, but not that many unused ones. Save it, keep it pristine.

Speedy21 11-16-2015 09:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for your kind words and your opinions are always welcome.
I was thinking about completing it but right now with all the cleaning and stuff to go thru (dad was an electronic and gadget pack rat). I don't know how much time I would need to do it. Also I think the kit included some double sided tape which has dried out and also some oil and grease tubes which I don't know if I should get new ones or use those if they are still ok.
Also right now money is a little tight and with the holidays coming up I am at
a really difficult decision crossroad. He also had a lot of HO Trains as well which I was thinking of keeping but maybe should sell the trains and keep the Car. That's another bit of research I need to do, trains were used maybe 3 times with the original boxes.
I am glad I decided to post, thanks again for the words of sympathy and helpful words of advice.
Cog

fredswain 11-16-2015 09:29 AM

I'm a huge model railroader and I'll tell you, unless he has something very special, HO trains don't bring anything. It makes up over 80% of the model railroad hobby and is plentiful. If he has anything in brass it may bring some decent money but just HO train sets are a dime a dozen. You'll have to do some research to see what it's all worth.

Losing a parent is hard. I wouldn't rush to sell anything just because money is a little tight for the holidays. Sentimental value is something you can almost never recover once lost.

klowne 11-16-2015 09:36 AM

My condolences on losing your father. Same boat been 3 years for me as well. I still feel like I am lost without my father. As for me , having the chance to have something of his that we both shared and interest in, I would build it and shelf it. I am thankful for the time that I had with my father in this hobby and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. That in all honesty would make that kit priceless to me.

As for putting a value on it, does the box have an address on it for where the company was at the time the kit was assembled. This is also another way to determine the value of the car. There should also be a stamp near where the motor goes at on the chassis. This will help as well. The obvious rare cars are the edinger box cars. One site to check out to get more information on this would be www.rc10talk.com or you can also check out rc10vintage mania on facebook , also on facebook oldschool rc as well.

As to put a value on that with the condition that it is in, the offer that you was giving in my opinion is in all honestly a low offer. What makes it worth more to me is the fact it is original, you have the box, manuals, and all the other items that go with it. Bringing the value in higher than the first offer. As for the radio, in all honesty it seems the radios really don't get much on the market for resale. Usually the older radios go for under $40 dollars or less, otherwise they are just dust collectors. Also on the old school facebook site, you can find a young man that does box art paint jobs as well.

For me that would be a keepsake to have on the shelf to be a reminder of the great memories I made with my father. Hope this will help you in some way as well.
You have a wonderful piece of history in my opinion and should keep that beauty. :)