Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The silliness of the "Cab Forward" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I really disliked the cab forward look when I came back to RC after about 12 years off. However, I do think they look very cool now, especially the 4wd and new LCG transmission ones where you don't have the spur sticking out. The fact remains, however, that we no longer race buggies, we race semi-trucks.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Google image search "dune buggy "and you'll find that the rear cab buggys are for two people and the cab forward looking buggys are for four people. Now days people just want to bring there friends along for the ride lol.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Selfish, ban a body style because you don't like it? Force companies to release outdated bodies for your pleasure..Please
Old 11-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I honestly don't mind cab forward buggy bodies at all. But cab forward truck bodies look stupid! Stadium trucks and truggies need to look like a truck not like a stretched out tad pool! LOL
Old 11-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

I do think the current trend of the front wings hanging off the top of the front shock tower makes no sense. They need to be off the front of the car like the old Losi high down force wing kit for the XXX or like the front wing on a sprint car. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Tim W.; 11-12-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim W.
I do think the current trend of the front wings hanging off the top of the front shock tower makes no sense. They need to be off the front of the car like the old Losi high down force wing kit for the XXX or like the front wing on a sprint car. Just my 2 cents from someone who races a full size racecar as well as rc!
Do you realize the front wing on a sprint car is mounted above the front shock tower, right?

Last edited by Socket; 11-12-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Socket
Do you realize the front wing on a spring car is mounted above the front shock tower, right?
I should have been more specific a lot of the winged pavement sprints are hanging the front wing way off the nose now on the front bumper
Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is what I have in mind when I think front wing on a high grip surface!

Done by losi 15+ years ago

Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Done by losi 15+ years ago

Still looks way better than any of the tugboat crap forward designs of today.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
I'd like it to be a bit more governed. I'm not too worried about cab forward and cab back, but I like some standards so that there is some sort of resemblance to a vehicle that 'could' be real.

I'm some where in the middle:
  • For instance, I hate it when people don't use window masks and have a single color spray bomb body.
  • However, I don't think we'd get much performance from a scale buggy if we had to give it scale sized shocks, so a scale
class doesn't interest me so much.
Since we're making the bodies so functional with the front windshield basically acting like a wing, I'd rather we just move away from this front wing phenom going on.

It's mostly in the racer's hands anyway. If we don't buy it, they won't make it. If racers realized that a front wing isn't much of an advantage if everyone else slaps a wing on then maybe we wouldn't be going that route. What we're doing for the most part is simply increasing the cost of racing.
Agree, with the windows being masked (or highlighted somehow), trucks should have a front grill (ROAR still requires this).
The cab-forward designs, some are way to high, or forward for my taste, but there is no denying they work. Example the TLR 22-4 Cab forward just looks awkward, but the JConcepts looks nice.

Performance #1, looks #2, realism #3, to scale . Since the 1987 RC10 nothing has been to scale so that subject is mute. No the SCT is not to scale, maybe the body is but nothing else.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Suspended

I should have been more specific a lot of the winged pavement sprints are hanging the front wing way off the nose now on the front bumper
These cars aren't on pavement. It's arguable that the current high bite clay and the amount of mechanical grip the cars make, it actually has more bite than asphalt.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Suspended

I would mention the current cars share a look more common to swamp buggies.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
I'd like it to be a bit more governed. I'm not too worried about cab forward and cab back, but I like some standards so that there is some sort of resemblance to a vehicle that 'could' be real.
What car is a F1 car modeled after?

This isn't "nascar" this is the leading edge of design.
F1 as I'm sure you know isn't modeled after anything, though perhaps they are modeled after each other since they're very similar - and they do have their own rules governing them. F1s are real cars, that real people can get in, to run real races.

However, note that I never said that the current vehicles couldn't be real, or don't resemble what could be a real vehicle. However, putting a massive wing in front of the drivers window is not very realistic. And you don't see a massive wing in the front of an F1 vehicle blocking a drivers vision - even if it provided a significant engineering advantage. Shock towers in front of the drivers window also is not very realistic, but I think is functionally necessary.

Cab forward (if I recall correctly) was basically introduced for aerodynamic purposes. So were front wings. As we push everything to the limits, my hope is that we keep some sort of boundary on it so that we don't lose a semblance of reality. There are no people in our vehicles to design around. F1 has at least that.

So, again, I have no issues with cab forward, but do appreciate rules governing some semblance of reality. The last thing I want to do is race a vehicle that looks like some sort of alien rocketship with wheels.

Hope that helps. Sounds like you were challenging my comments, but didn't understand my point.
Tech Fanatic

These cars aren't on pavement. It's arguable that the current high bite clay and the amount of mechanical grip the cars make, it actually has more bite than asphalt.
Yeah that's why I posted the pic just as a theory since the treated dirt and indoor carpet/turf tracks have way more grip than conventional dirt!
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

the whole bull dog body look of stadiums took a while to grow on my, now I don't mind them so much, or the whole cab forward deal on buggies.

If I was going to argue at all about the looks of the vehicles, I would probably want it to run more in the direction of driver figures, etc. but as someone already commented, vintage class or something similar. No need to change the current one.

It will all sort out what people like and don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.