Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cpt.America

Acceptable motor end play

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Acceptable motor end play

Figured I would get better response here. What is the general rule of thumb on rotor end play of the motor? Where is it developed from ie. bearing wear or the end of the rotor wearing down? And how about a adjustment procedure? Is it acceptable to just add washers to remove it? Seems to me most motors come with about .015" of end play. What is the max to be "acceptable" Thanks for your time. Hopefully this can be helpful for other people as well. I had a hard time finding anything in either section. -Tim
Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 AM
Tech Champion

Novak recommends 0.010-0.020" or 0.25-0.5mm of end play for standard 1/10 motors in one of their cleaning guides. If I remember correctly others have mentioned 0.02" 0.5mm as a target. Want some play for thermal expansion I think.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Novak recommends 0.010-0.020" or 0.25-0.5mm of end play for standard 1/10 motors in one of their cleaning guides. If I remember correctly others have mentioned 0.02" 0.5mm as a target. Want some play for thermal expansion I think.
There should be very little. I know 3 people including myself who have had to return Reedy Mach 3 motors due to improper shimming of the rotor causing it to start squealing like a stuck pig. Never had an issue with any Hobbywing, Orion, or even Trackstar motors being built wrong. Kinda disappointed that I have to spend money to send a brand new motor back.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
There should be very little. I know 3 people including myself who have had to return Reedy Mach 3 motors due to improper shimming of the rotor causing it to start squealing like a stuck pig. Never had an issue with any Hobbywing, Orion, or even Trackstar motors being built wrong. Kinda disappointed that I have to spend money to send a brand new motor back.
Squealing because they were too tight?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Or you could just shim it correctly yourself, and not bother with sending it back. Takes what... 2 minutes? Always check how the rotor is shimmed before installing and running the motor, no?
Slashripper likes this.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

From my research and according to a novak article I just read .010"-.020" is ideal.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've had 20+ brushless motors and none were so bad that they would be so tight or shimmed wrong to the point that they would "squeal"

Honestly odd for a brand like Reedy to have a situation like that..