Wiki Posts
Search

The Truth About Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default The Truth About Springs

So I was bored at work and decided to measure some springs on our Instron material tester. I always hear people say stuff like "so and so's spring is more progressive" or "this company's springs are junk" so I decided to get some numbers to prove or disprove those claims. Attached are a couple of pictures of plots of what I found. I can send the Excel file if someone wants to see the numbers behind them.

I was surprised at how similar certain companies springs are. Also, most springs appear to be slightly progressive except for the TLR springs. I would like to test the TLR low frequency springs and some Avid springs. I'll do it when I get around to borrowing them from someone. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails The Truth About Springs-rear-springs.jpg   The Truth About Springs-front-springs.jpg  
Old 11-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Is this 1/8 or 1/10 springs?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Interesting.....................
Old 11-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great share thanks !
I usually do my own measure with a simple digital scale with some setup to have the same compression length on the springs but nothing as good as this.
I'd love the excel file please .

ps: I'd love to see several sets of the same spring, to see accuracy. Normally a good spring is around 10% C rate. The ones I measured are about 5 to 12% out of the C given rating.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

1/10th springs.

Attached is a link to the Excel file. There are four tabs in there, KyoshoPinkRear, KyoshoPinkRear2, KyoshoRedRear and KyoshoRedRear2. After measuring, it looks like they are all pinks. All four are very close to each other.

Data File
Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you, good work you got there.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scrubnick
1/10th springs.

Attached is a link to the Excel file. There are four tabs in there, KyoshoPinkRear, KyoshoPinkRear2, KyoshoRedRear and KyoshoRedRear2. After measuring, it looks like they are all pinks. All four are very close to each other.

Data File

Wow, wonder what Kyosho would have to say about that? As a consumer I'm happy that an independent is doing some testing to enlighten us on different characteristics. I would like to see a larger sample size of the reds and pinks to further verify your findings and then I would like to send Kyosho a letter with the findings and start demanding answers for their stupidly overpriced springs