TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Are there any premounted tires available for the front and back?
Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)
Default Laydown install issues

I am installing the laydown kit on this truck and cannot get the motor installed, how much did you guys grind away / cut from the side guard?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan-o
I am installing the laydown kit on this truck and cannot get the motor installed, how much did you guys grind away / cut from the side guard?
I installed the motor before I installed the tranny the first time. From there I basically remove the side guard to get the motor out or change gearing.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I installed the motor before I installed the tranny the first time. From there I basically remove the side guard to get the motor out or change gearing.
All you have to do is remove the 2 waterfall screws on the chassis and rotate the waterfall up. The motor will come right out. This also works great when u sho-goo a fan on the chassis next to the motor.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Access to the bottom screw is difficult. Not getting the motor out.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Access to the bottom screw is difficult. Not getting the motor out.
I always take the last screw out of the mudguard on that side and put the allen driver under the mudguard. Still kind of a pain but it works for me.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Installing rear sway bars ....... Help

Ok so I have a 22 3.0 SR with an exotek laydown.
So now the issue is how to install a rear sway bar kit without throwing out the exotek and starting from scratch.
Before you say get a 4.0. I have 2 of them but I want something my grand daughter can drive on turf.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anybody tried using the 4.0 stiffezel parts on their 3.0? I'd be interested to know if they make much of a difference.

I'm still not sold on the concept of a laydown transmission so I'll be sticking with my 3.0 for the time being.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I was looking for some advice, I normally race 5th scale gas cars, this TLR 22 3.0 is my first buggy. I'm setting it up for 17.5T class, but I got a question about gearing.

I noticed the stock slipper pad has a octagon shape to match the HDS spur gears. The recommended gearing for 17.5T on the manual states 70/31, but the smallest HDS spur I can find is only a 76T

The other spurs have a circular inner design, I'm assuming I can use those spur gears if I change the slipper pads to match?

Or stick with a 76T spur and go with a larger pinion, though I suspect there won't be enough room to fit a large pinion with a 76T spur?
Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone point me in right direction with this?

Brought it second hand

https://youtu.be/CcM7sH82UzI
Old 09-03-2017, 04:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NITROBUSA
Can anyone point me in right direction with this?

Brought it second hand

https://youtu.be/CcM7sH82UzI
First thing I would look at are the Anti-squat & Toe inserts also that the 1mm shim is on the inner hinge pin.

If that doesn't sort it out new rear arms.

There will always be some movement but that's a little excessive.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

So getting my 3.0 SR ready for the indoor season and just looking for a good starting point.
The Track: Tight indoor Ozite with a 1 big jump, a medium, and a few bumps. Layout changes every week. Fast lap times are between 11 and 13 seconds depending on layout.
The Cars: 17.5 with Slicks

I got the 3.0 SR last christmas and buying a 4.0 isn't in the cards so don't say buy a 4.0 (I like my marriage, I say I need a new car this soon...dead man walking ) I ran it last season bone stock with the kit setup, but have been collecting a few parts to get it ready for this season. I have the carpet laydown kit, a gear diff, front wing, Xfactory kit to relocate the shocks to the front of the rear arms but other than that, nothing (honestly I don't think you need much else, but if anyone has a must have part suggestion please tell and explain why).

Any one got a good setup sheet to start at? most of the setup sheets are Turf running pins or mod class...but nothing that matches what we run on and class we run.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bmans5
So getting my 3.0 SR ready for the indoor season and just looking for a good starting point.
The Track: Tight indoor Ozite with a 1 big jump, a medium, and a few bumps. Layout changes every week. Fast lap times are between 11 and 13 seconds depending on layout.

I got the 3.0 SR last christmas and buying a 4.0 isn't in the cards so don't say buy a 4.0 (I like my marriage, I say I need a new car this soon...dead man walking ) I ran it last season bone stock with the kit setup, but have been collecting a few parts to get it ready for this season. I have the carpet laydown kit, a gear diff, front wing, Xfactory kit to relocate the shocks to the front of the rear arms but other than that, nothing (honestly I don't think you need much else, but if anyone has a must have part suggestion please tell and explain why).

Any one got a good setup sheet to start at? most of the setup sheets are Turf running pins or mod class...but nothing that matches what we run on and class we run.
Sounds very similar to the track I run at during the winter with slicks on carpet, I found this setup to be pretty good with laydown:http://site.petitrc.com/setup/losi/s...ceway20160320/
Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bmans5

My son still runs a 3.0 on carpet. The only other things I would recommend that you don't have listed would be a HRC front pivot the plastic one from the 4.0 don't have to be the alu. one. Then the new front spindles raised all the way up with a #2 arm. Then AE 0 offset spring cups for the rear shocks. (dermal the rear arms for clearness) All the parts allow you to get the car down to 17mm ride height.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Cool, thanks guys. It's coming together, just got word opening night is October 6th so crunch time is on.
It is going to be an interesting season, last year it was like 15 drivers, and there were only 3 or 4 or us running something other than a B6. This season it will be like 20+ drivers and there will be pretty much every make will be represent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.