TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmag5000
If I cant modify the chassis to run a stick pack I'm ordering this car in march.
Hopefully if no dice then ill have to get special packs for this car.
If anything ill get brick or "Square packs" because I like those better than shorties.
Get a 4400 mAh shorty pack from SMC ($34) and the brass rear hinge pin hanger from Exotek (I think $20) or the heavier one from TLR (more expensive). You could also get the brass plates from SMC that stand up in the battery compartment, set of two and they're 30g each.

Just some alternatives to modifying for a stick pack. I've been running the car over a year and I would definitely go this route. You have to invest in a new battery and accessories, but you would get more weight further to the rear than you would with a stick pack.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:49 AM
Tech Adept

Do you need a laydown transmission to run the shocks on the front of the arms?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by offroader47
Thanks
I believe so.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks
Yes, laydown transmission is needed to run shocks in front of the tower/arm. With the stand up transmission (3gear/4gear) the gear cover will interfere.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First Club Race of the New Year and all I can say is OMG!!!!!
I can't get over how well planted and smooth this car is, Seriously, I am not a long time driver but It just felt so easy to drive, all I had to adjust was some steering Trim on my radio and Off to the races.
It lands so nice and even when I got a little throttle happy on a jump it took little work to correct and land smooth
I had no traction rollings and I totally feel that there is more grip there, I just have to man up and hold the go trigger a little longer.
I did ok-ish, out of 25 drivers I got close to the top ten, and I am more than happy with that on a buggy I just got, that I haven't done anything to ( a front mounted Proline wing...that's it) and actually had to add 7 grams to just make minimum weight.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks
Yes, the shock and top shaft interfere in stand up configuration.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LBR_Frank
Interested in a response too

I was going to do the exotec servo mount which according to their website is only 6.5g making the delta between plastic and this alum one pretty small, I would think. The alum belcrank I'm sure adds way more but I'm not sure I need it, as my steering mechanically is fine. I am getting a bit of understeer but I need to finish breaking in these tires before I make a decision.
Got mine to the track today and also had a major push. Frank pointed out on FB that the Transistors I was running tend to understeer. Is that what you are running as well. Anyway I went to 2.5 toe in, took 1mm out from the inner front ballstud, and went up to 35 in the back. I think the 35 probably helped the most as it seemed to land better as well. Bets of all nothing broke. Popped one ball cup on the last pack trying to miss a slash parked on the sweeper, didnt miss.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Thanks
Flipping the shocks is an insignificant adjustment compared to laydown vs. stand-up.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey guys- I just installed a Dirt Laydown on my 3.0. I am having a lot of issue at my local track (medium) with rear traction. I can't seem to go around without spinning out around a turn. I asked a few local guys, a lot of them are telling me its the laydown, find it hard to believe though it cause I have seen other guys running it fine. Just put on some new tires, changed the ride height and changed the camber a bit, nothing really helped. Any thought or suggestions?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Changes

Originally Posted by lim202
Hey guys- I just installed a Dirt Laydown on my 3.0. I am having a lot of issue at my local track (medium) with rear traction. I can't seem to go around without spinning out around a turn. I asked a few local guys, a lot of them are telling me its the laydown, find it hard to believe though it cause I have seen other guys running it fine. Just put on some new tires, changed the ride height and changed the camber a bit, nothing really helped. Any thought or suggestions?

What shock oil do you run and what springs? What holes do you have your shocks in on the arm and on the tower?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

There is a few things you can try to get more rear traction. First thing I would look at though however is your spring choices. Personally I have found the Yokomo Green spring in the rear to be a very good choice along with anywhere from an Associated White-Blue up front. Secondly if not running weight in the rear the Exotek rear brass block helps lock the rear in. From their I would look at things like toe, antisquat, and front droop depending on where the car is losing traction.

Also if you just put on new tires the car will feel loose for some runs in till the tires completely break in.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

RC Cheat Sheets is an app that you might find useful, I did.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randywhite30
What shock oil do you run and what springs? What holes do you have your shocks in on the arm and on the tower?
I think Im running stock 30 shock oil along with stock rear shocks.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

I think Im running stock 30 shock oil along with stock rear shocks.
If it were me things I would try

1. Move the shock to the inside of the arm
If that doesnt help
2. Move the top of the shock to the outside of the tower
If that doesnt help
3. Verify your camber is what the other locals are running. I run at HobbyPlex in Omaha and we run -1
If that doesnt help
4. Start looking at your diff.
A. Ball Diff or are you running that new gear diff? Are you sure its not too tight?
5. Are you sure your slipper is not too tight?
6. Brand new tires will almost always feel loose.
7. Are you using traction compound? I like Liquid wrench penetrating oil(Yellow Cap).

I run the laydown on my RB6.6 and love it but I had to change the things I said above.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by randywhite30
If it were me things I would try

1. Move the shock to the inside of the arm
If that doesnt help
2. Move the top of the shock to the outside of the tower
If that doesnt help
3. Verify your camber is what the other locals are running. I run at HobbyPlex in Omaha and we run -1
If that doesnt help
4. Start looking at your diff.
A. Ball Diff or are you running that new gear diff? Are you sure its not too tight?
5. Are you sure your slipper is not too tight?
6. Brand new tires will almost always feel loose.
7. Are you using traction compound? I like Liquid wrench penetrating oil(Yellow Cap).

I run the laydown on my RB6.6 and love it but I had to change the things I said above.

I love the laydown tranny on my RB6.6, I have my two boys running the TLR 22 3.0.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.