TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Damn dude...not cheap.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
Damn dude...not cheap.
The Exotek laydown is also an option and it is only $89.95.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fantomdude
The Exotek laydown is also an option and it is only $89.95.
I'm curious about that kit and whether or not it moves the furthest rearward battery position forward. I'm running my stand up 3 gear shorty all the way to the rear against the waterfall on the outdoor track I run on. It gets moved way up into the normal range when I drive on our local indoor track.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I was sold a bi-metal diff recently and the rep didn't realize it wouldn't be compatible with the pucks system, however it does work fine with the stock shafts. Supposedly they will be releasing a bi-metal system for the pucks within the next few weeks. The bi-metal kit (#16020) comes with everything (including rings,balls) except the plastic diff gear. The rings are 100% identical to the stock rings in the kit.

I don't see any reason why you can't recycle the kit diff parts and buy the bi-metal outdrives (#16025) and bi-metal hubs (#16072) separately.
Just got the set, thanks Bill.

I don't have a 22 diff ring set handy, but I'm about 90% sure by looking at them that the MIP bi-metal drive diff rings are a lot skinnier than the TLR 22 diff rings. The TLR ones are quite fat:

and the MIP ones quite skinny. They look even skinnier than the AE diff rings.

I don't think they're interchangeable.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Frank, thanks for the quick response. Just wondering would the carpet laydown tranny work at that race? What do you recommend for high bite clay track?

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Dustin ran laydown with Dirt Tranny. Maifield ran stand-up 3-gear. I think Dustin's car was a little better, but the 3-gear stand-up fit Maifield better this weekend.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

I'm curious about that kit and whether or not it moves the furthest rearward battery position forward. I'm running my stand up 3 gear shorty all the way to the rear against the waterfall on the outdoor track I run on. It gets moved way up into the normal range when I drive on our local indoor track.
The exotek is just like the tlr laydown kit in that it moves the battery to the furthest forward position. In other words you get one battery position. The furthest rearward position is now the furthest forward position.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbracn
Frank, thanks for the quick response. Just wondering would the carpet laydown tranny work at that race? What do you recommend for high bite clay track?
I've mostly run the carpet laydown in stock at OCRC, and qualified 2nd at Stock Nats with it, so it definitely works just fine.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Team Pink
The standard laydown raises the diff height +3.5mm and the axle height 3mm at the rear hub. This essentially raises the roll center and to match the rear we are using the HRC front pivot plus raising the axle height to match. To be honest the car works really well on all the surfaces, but requires you to run a slightly lower rideheight for example 20-21mm on dirt.

The dirt laydown has personally for me been my favorite. It lowers the diff height back down to standard height which allows for the standard rear hub, but also to use the standard front LRC pivot. I felt the car rolled through the corner better, jumped better, and was a little less edgy on dirt. Overall both are great options and offer several options for a variety of tracks.
Not sure if the laydown is the answer to all. Just like Maifield I was at Rainmans for the JBRL race. I tried the laydown and it just felt uncomfortable and I didn't have enough time to tweak it. So I got the standard 22 3.0 out and it was gold. But when I went back to OCRC last week I ran the laydown and took a 1st. The laydown was fast and yes it did jump and handle well, but I also ran the standard during practice and it felt a little more in control when making mistakes.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fantomdude
The exotek is just like the tlr laydown kit in that it moves the battery to the furthest forward position. In other words you get one battery position. The furthest rearward position is now the furthest forward position.
Gotcha, that may work at our indoor track in central MN but that definitely won't work at the outdoor dirt track I like to race at during the summer. I have my battery all the way back against the waterfall in standup 3 gear configuration right now for outdoor dirt.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Gotcha, that may work at our indoor track in central MN but that definitely won't work at the outdoor dirt track I like to race at during the summer. I have my battery all the way back against the waterfall in standup 3 gear configuration right now for outdoor dirt.
That's what is nice about the Exotek. You can use it for your indoor track then swap gearboxes and battery hold down and your back to a stand up.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

You really like the Exotek I'll have to give it a shot when it comes back into stock. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

i finally got out and drove my 3.0 with the exotek laydown and it was amazing. so much more corner speed. if the driver behind the wheel was better it could have caused trouble for the fast guys. some of the previously fast guys who refused to buy into the koolaid are getting kinda left in the dust. im pretty surpised as i thought the car was going to be all over the place but its more locked in than it ever was before.

i just made up a setup sheet for the car. It feels really locked in for me so this should work well as a baseline for anyone who has similar traction to TRCR.

click here for setup sheet

Last edited by gokarter64; 07-21-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is that a 3.0 with an exotek laydown and exotek 2.0 chassis? Did you have to mod any of that?
Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Is that a 3.0 with an exotek laydown and exotek 2.0 chassis? Did you have to mod any of that?
That's one of the chassis I made. Glad to see it's working well for him
Old 07-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bought a used 3.0 with no spare parts, new to racing, what are some must-have spares to have on hand to keep me going at the track? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.