Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Possibly Trading in Truggy for new one >

Possibly Trading in Truggy for new one

Possibly Trading in Truggy for new one

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I've been doing some research concerning the Tekin T8 2250kv Truggy motor compatibility with the Mamba Monster X ESC. There may be a major problem concerning amperage, in fact there may be a problem running anything other than an RX8 system with this motor.

Apparently, the Tekin RX8 Gen 2 is capable of 220 Amps continued operation, and the Monster X is only rated at 120 Amps continuous. I figured 200+ Amps was overkill, and maybe thats why RX8s burn out so often; it is after all an INSANE amount of power, but then when looking into the motor amp draw specs, I saw that this motor is capable of pulling 125 Amps continuous.

Im not sure the paring of the T8 with the Monster X is a good idea. Do any of you guys have any idea if it would work, does anyone have any experience with a Castle-Tekin pairing?
Old 11-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
I didn't know that you were interested in the Castle Creations electronics, I would have suggested the Sidewinder8 for that extra sensorless truggy torque. I think the monster X would be wise
See last post ^ I forgot to quote you so you could see post.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

The tekin motors will work fine with other ESC's.

The quickest guy at our track in e-buggy runs a 2100kv tekin motor on a Hobbywing XERun SCT Pro ESC, I also run the SCTPro in both my 1/8 truggy and buggy with no issues. if you want a reliable, semi waterproof, bang for buck ESC, you can't go past them, last time i looked they were $89 on Amain.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kartyboy94 View Post
The tekin motors will work fine with other ESC's.

The quickest guy at our track in e-buggy runs a 2100kv tekin motor on a Hobbywing XERun SCT Pro ESC, I also run the SCTPro in both my 1/8 truggy and buggy with no issues. if you want a reliable, semi waterproof, bang for buck ESC, you can't go past them, last time i looked they were $89 on Amain.
How about compatibility with the Castle Mamba Monster X? Its on sale but is only rated at 120 amps, and after doing some searching I found this may be an issue with how much power the T8 Draws. See 2-3 posts previous ^^^.

Im mainly interested because all Castle products are on sale until Nov 22. You can get one for ~$135.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri View Post
How about compatibility with the Castle Mamba Monster X? Its on sale but is only rated at 120 amps, and after doing some searching I found this may be an issue with how much power the T8 Draws. See 2-3 posts previous ^^^.

Im mainly interested because all Castle products are on sale until Nov 22. You can get one for ~$135.
It will run great, take those ratings with a grain of salt. I have a 230A motor and a Mamba Monster Extreme, and the ESC handles way more power than your Tekin motor just fine.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is crazy ....

Tekin will replace that trashed esc for $130.00 . It will be new , and come with a warranty . The rx8 esc may not be the best at $200 , but it sure as heck is the best $130 esc you will get , and It will come with the wire you need . You certainly don't need a soldering station , A $6 hobbico iron and good solder will last you a long time . You will never in your lifetime see a 1/8 system draw 100 amps continuous. It may be time to reach out to some locals for a little help .
Old 11-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
This is crazy ....

Tekin will replace that trashed esc for $130.00 . It will be new , and come with a warranty . The rx8 esc may not be the best at $200 , but it sure as heck is the best $130 esc you will get , and It will come with the wire you need . You certainly don't need a soldering station , A $6 hobbico iron and good solder will last you a long time . You will never in your lifetime see a 1/8 system draw 100 amps continuous. It may be time to reach out to some locals for a little help .
^ words of wisdom! Heck find a local and give him $10 to solder it all up for ya! No immediate need for a fancy soldering station. But it comes in handy down the road for sure!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Everyone I know that I race with run the hobby wing esc with a tekin motor. Makes for a good combo.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ajnelson2 View Post
Everyone I know that I race with run the hobby wing esc with a tekin motor. Makes for a good combo.
Nice man, that comment right there pretty much has convinced me to by the XR8. Here is a link to the official Serpent Truggy Thread I started, so you can see the build. If you can see any issues, let me know:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...lp-thread.html
Old 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
This is crazy ....

Great idea...

Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
^ words of wisdom! Heck find a local and give him $10 to solder it all up for ya! No immediate need for a fancy soldering station. But it comes in handy down the road for sure!
I'm positive you could go to the track and somebody would do it for free, I know I have soldered many people's stuff and would freely do so anytime....
Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
Great idea...

I'm positive you could go to the track and somebody would do it for free, I know I have soldered many people's stuff and would freely do so anytime....
Thats cool that you do that man, I appreciate any good people just willing to help people like that, but I just moved here. I know nobody and have been to the track once. The shop guys were helpful and lent me tools, but nobody just brings a soldering station to a track around here, unfortunately.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Thats cool that you do that man, I appreciate any good people just willing to help people like that, but I just moved here. I know nobody and have been to the track once. The shop guys were helpful and lent me tools, but nobody just brings a soldering station to a track around here, unfortunately.
Ask the Electric racers, you may be surprised. When I was racing, I ALWAYS had a soldering iron in my tool box, and most of the guys I knew at the track had one in their box too. One of my buddies could not solder worth a darn, but had still had an iron in his box, so he could get someone else to use it for him... LOL

Really, a $5 iron will handle 90% of the tasks you need for RC. Roll it up, throw it in the bottom of your tool box, and a year from now when a motor lead un-solders itself on the second run of the day, you will be glad you have it.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JerryRigged View Post
Ask the Electric racers, you may be surprised. When I was racing, I ALWAYS had a soldering iron in my tool box, and most of the guys I knew at the track had one in their box too. One of my buddies could not solder worth a darn, but had still had an iron in his box, so he could get someone else to use it for him... LOL

Really, a $5 iron will handle 90% of the tasks you need for RC. Roll it up, throw it in the bottom of your tool box, and a year from now when a motor lead un-solders itself on the second run of the day, you will be glad you have it.
Ya, I'm planning on getting something, I just want something good enough to handle Lead-Free Silver solder, and have some temp control to make sure I dont damage posts on ESC's or Bullet Connectors for my LiPo's
Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have to believe if you go to the track you will find some good people who are willing to help you, to solder you wires and to check over your stuff. If racers in your area aren't willing to do so I feel bad for your racing scene. I wish you luck, go to the track with your stuff, make sure to have enough quality wiring to get it all soldered up. Ask around if anyone is willing to help . I know my friends and I are always willing to do stuff like this to help the newer guys.... if we can't or won't we should never expect the Hobby to grow locally.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

"Well, I already ordered it, I've been discussing this issue for a few days now, I went ahead and went for it, while I was at it, I got a Good Solderation Station for $80, and a brushless servo upgrade for $100 (Savox Tessman Edition). Ended up Spending $600, but this thing will be next-to indestructable when I am finished with it "

I think I see why you have so much money tied up in your truck . Good luck , its a fun hobby , but spend wisely ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service