R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-07-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default Electric MT for my 5 years old doughter ...

Hi,

Finally i decided to give a electric RC to my doughter (5 years old, always at the workshop giving me companion and helping me with the tools when i work on my 200mm nitro cars) ... she is always asking me when she will have her own RC Car to play with, and asking to my wife (she paint my bodies) if she will paint a pink barbie body for her ...

So, i think this christmas will be ... and i need your opinion, which will be the best model to give her ?, i was thinking hard over the Associated RC18MT RTR (and i will buy extra onroad tires), cause i think she can use it on our apartment and on the track.

Othe models to look for i think :

- DuraTrax Evader EP ST w/ESC RTR
- Tamiya Mini Cooper '02 RC RTR
- Associated TC4 4WD Touring RTR (maybe this is too much).

So, if its up to you, which model you would buy ?

thanks for your cooperation,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Tech Regular

i would wait till the Losi mini LST comes out in the next few months.
its already on the losi website.
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih
i would wait till the Losi mini LST comes out in the next few months.
its already on the losi website.

Thanks but ... my main source of parts is Towerhobbies (im in southamerica) and they do not sell LOSI ...

any other opinion ?

Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if anything should decide your choice, make sure that the car/truck is 4wd. they are easier to drive than ANY 2wd car/truck. i would recommend a mini sized car/truck. i think an Associated RC18T FT. it is 4wd, has all of the factory team hop-ups(you will want the added durability for her) included already. if she has enough experience, let her help you build it. she can look at the manual and tell you where everything should go, and you put the truck together for her. it will be a great bonding experience, and she will learn alot along the way too.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Tech Adept

My duaghter is just about to turn a year old and I'm itching for the day I get to buy her first car. She already kind of plays with mine, like grabbing onto the antenna tube and pulling, or grabbibg on to the back of the truck and moving it back and forth.

If it's her first one, I'd go with something small and easy to maintain. An RTR would be good first choice. It seems like you run on-road cars mostly, so then I'm sure she'll want to run with her dad. I'd probably go with a RC18MT RTR and get foams for running on-road. Get another body so your wife can paint it for your daughter. That way she can with you on or off road.
briansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I went through this a few years ago with my daugher - bought her a Mini T two years ago for Christmas (she was five, too). Something to consider about any micro vehicle is that they're very limited in where they can go, but they're usually fast enough that they'll cover a lot of ground. The Mini LST is going to be a great truck, but you may as well buy her a 1/10th scale truck at that point. First time around, I'd suggest looking at the Traxxas Stampede with the electronic speed control. I honestly can't think of a better "beginner" vehicle. It'll go most anywhere, can pop wheelies, is very durable, and has enough hop-up potential to grow with your daughter's driving skill. It's got enough ground clearance to keep if from getting hung up on obstructons that would high-center a stadium truck or buggy.
And I'll tell you from experience, if you buy her a vehicle that's stricly on-road, she'll be bummed that she can't jump it or drive it offroad.
If your intent is to get her in to racing right away, than an Evader or even a Losi XXX-T would be a great choice.
Sorcerer001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to primusblowsgoat Send a message via Yahoo to primusblowsgoat

I dont have a daughter but a younger sister, and she wasnt 5 but still this may apply.

I got her a rc10 T3 RTR when she turned 9 i think, shes 14 now. Pretty simple for her to take apart and rebuild, not the most durable but realy the only thing i ever had to fix were servo gears and popping ball cups back on.
right away i put bearings in the whole car and that was the only hop up other than someone giving her a carbon shock tower at the track. she raced the thing untill she was 12 or 13 before she got into high school, with band and cheerleading, and golf team she just didnt have time for it anymore. but that truck was raced everyweekend by her for 3 years, and then for another year by me.

before the truck i tried a tc3 and she broke that alot and hated it, i also tried an rs4 rally, that couldnt run in the grass and there was no rally class at the track, so she didnt like that either.

so my suggestion to you is to get her a car similar to what you already have or get two of whatever you get so the two of you can do it together, otherwise she may loose intrest, cause daddy is running onroad and she only has offroad.
primusblowsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

My vote would be the evader or the mini cooper depending on what type of terrain you have around you. I'm sure she will love the way the mini cooper looks, but depending on whats around your house it might end up becoming on offroad vehicle anyway. I would stay away from mini stuff, they are harder to control than a 1/10th scale and the thought of a 5 yr old running a little car around in the house like that makes me cringe (think about what she could break)

Good luck I can't wait till I can get my future kids into this hobby
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I just took a detailed look over the DuraTrax Evader EP ST w/ESC RTR from www.towerhobbies.com and i think thats the way i want to go with my little dougther ... its 1/10 th scale so its "good for the eyes" ... i dont know if the extra US$ 30 worth the pro version ...

So, what do you think guys ? (how its the quality of the truck ?).

Now, its possible to mount onroad tires on it ? ... and in case of "YES", its possible to mount other bodies (not truck ones only ?).

ps : - The only bad thing on all of this, is that she saw a couple of weeks ago one of those little MT's and she fell in love with it ... its THAT HARD to learn with a 1/18 MT 4WD ?.

thanks,

Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
Tech Elite

i personally think that the mini's are very easy to drive, especially compared to ANY 2wd or TC. definately get her something that is off-road capable, and 4wd. a 2wd is too "squirrely", as in they tend to spin out if you don't have good throttle control.

yes, you can mount foams on a stadium truck, and you can mount pretty much any body you want, just with a little customization with the fitting. the good thing about the Associated RC18T FT, is that you can choose the paint scheme, go through with the very educating building process, and choose the suitable electronics. honestly, RTR electronics are pretty much crap. get a good quality(for her) radio and speed control, and match that to a "suitable" motor.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

If she really wants the RC18MT get her that, Nuff Said, I'm sure she will be ok, just limit the throttle at first and don't let he drive it inside if you like your stuff

Kids are amazing I'd be more worried about giving a car to my wife than a 5yr old kid. I let my 3 yr old neighbor kid handle the wheel while I throttle and he does pretty good till he gets distracted and starts pushing all the buttons
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Hey
Kudos to you to get your daughter involved with your hobby!

I would suggest the Team associated RC18T RTR. Mainly because its got everything you need to run and it goes pretty quick too. I like mine a lot because you can turn the throttle endpoints down and run it inside quite easily. If you are running inside and good upgrade to get is the RPM Wide bumper, it protects the weak plastic shocks from head on collisions. It replaces the stock bumper and has a lifetime warranty.

The Evader is also a good choice. I got the RTR w/ESC for Christmas last year. The stock motor is pretty weak as well as the ESC. I found both to heat up a lot while running it. I got a 27T stock motor, and the ESC couldnt handle it, so I had to get a new ESC too. The 1 year parts warranty is great (Stress Tech Guarantee). I used it as a spare parts generator, so as I broke something I would buy a replacement and send the broken part in and got a free replacement part in case it broke again.

I don't know much about the Stampede, except that it looks awesome as a first truck.

Good luck with your decision.
rd4015
rd4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
Tech Elite

i don't know about the stampede, it's pretty low quality. i agree with getting the RC18MT with a RPM bumper.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

I think the RC18T would be best in this situation. It would be easier for your daughter to carry around and such. The Evader is quite a strong R/C, but it would be way too fast for her. Jep-RC make a RPM styled bumper for the Evader by the way.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote