R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Which 1:8 Buggy reigns supreme in 2015? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/897229-1-8-buggy-reigns-supreme-2015-a.html)

Houlester 10-25-2015 05:54 AM

Which 1:8 Buggy reigns supreme in 2015?

Hello,

Obviously new here being my first post. Just a short month ago I purchased a Traxxas Rustler VXL and then shortly after an E-Maxx. I've broken the E-Maxx several times bashing into things and have discovered I just love working on these cars. I had a bunch of upgrades added to the rustler and am just having a blast.

I would like to purchase a 1:8 Buggy and eventually get into racing. I picked up a Serpent 2.1 Cobra and was amazed by the quality which led me to the world of unassembled 1:8 buggies. I have been recommended a Tekno eb48.3 and a Kysosho mp9e tki and wanted to know the opinions of the forum. Which 1:8 buggy do you think reigns supreme in 2015?

Thanks!

0verkill 10-25-2015 06:33 AM

EB48.3 would be my choice.

coombes 10-25-2015 06:35 AM

It be a toss up between 3 brands tekno mugen team ae

LiL CeeZ 10-25-2015 07:50 AM

Question is so subjective..

The 2 cars you've listed are both outstanding and able to win in capable hands. Which one do you like? Which one has the bells and whistles that grab your attention? I'm a Kyosho guy but I'll tell you this, that MP9 is gonna cost you some money...

I have a Mugen 1/8th scale and love it, was super easy to build and drives like a dream right out of the box. My buddies are also driving everything else from associated to losi and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Just do your homework and check out which one has what you're looking for.

Houlester 10-25-2015 08:26 AM

In the offshore fishing world Intrepid and SeaVee make some of the best boats. They pay attention to every little detail. Over build in areas for strength and don't cheap out at all. You are really buying a very high quality strong boat with either. I was hopping to find that in an RC buggy. I was looking for that buggy that has a lot of thought involved in the parts and build. A car where the manufacturer pays no attention to cost and focuses on building the best 1:8 buggy money can buy. Thanks for the replies.

madweazl 10-25-2015 08:39 AM

I've been very impressed with Tekno's support, build quality, and the performance. The Mugen has been great as well.

IOP_Racer 10-25-2015 10:25 AM

Every buggy you have listed is a solid contender. I have the Serpent and really like it. It sounds like you are new to the hobby, and I dont think a different buggy will make you any faster right now. But you mentioned you love tinkering, and the Serpent has a lot of options to play with (as do other buggies). I would suggest learning as much as you can with the Serpent, and if you want to try something new after a while pick up one of the other buggies on your list.

Houlester 10-25-2015 12:45 PM

Other than a grasshopper as a kid I'm brand new. As others have said the car is the cheapest part when you need to buy everything and I'm learning already from the EMaxx I want to be in the best out of the gate. The serpent does look stout. I also thought the X-ray XB8e looked like it was great quality to.

RC Geezer 10-25-2015 12:59 PM

Tekno eb48 ... the toughest most durable competitive ebuggy out there

werner sline 10-25-2015 02:44 PM

well if you like mechanic and technic like I do, you may have a closer look at the mugen mbx7r eco :
I choose the mugen over the tekno eb48.3 because of :
- bigger ball bearings on all the transmission ( 16x8x5 everywhere on the mugen)
- bigger screws on the motor mount ( 2x4mm) and easier to reach
- more place on the chassis for the electronic
- centre of gravity no as much forward as the eb48.3
+ I think the shocktower on the eb48.3 are enormous. I prefer the smaller ones on the mugen mbx7r eco. I think they may breack less !
I also think the long center shaft on the tekno is a cool idea, but some say it wobbles. I didn't test it. but I had the hobao hyperstar E and it wobbled like hell...

download both user manual and have a closer look. Make yourself an opinion !

Houlester 10-25-2015 03:31 PM

Just spent the past hour on a plane reading about XRay because it happened to save on safari. Maybe I'll just flip a coin. I have read in multiple threads that Serpent and the Mugen were built like tanks so I will research the two further. With as much stuff that I slam into being built well is what I'm all about.

On a side note I'm a member on only two forums. The Hull Truth and as of today rctech. Lucky me they are identical in their formats.

Either way choosing an RC buggy is some excited research and I appreciate all the replies.

Brokenparts 10-25-2015 03:56 PM

I agree, it really is a toss up.... there are a lot of very nice 1/8 buggies on the market :nod:
Do you plan on racing? Pick up what the fast guys are running, you might be able to buy some parts at the track if you need em :lol:

I was really impressed with my old XB8, but it was my first and last 1/8 buggy so I might be a little biased.

gavsta72 10-25-2015 06:08 PM

I just picked up an Associated RC8.2e FT kit yesterday, it only cost me $360USD since they are now discontinued, awesome buggies, although they are hard to find now :)

werner sline 10-25-2015 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Houlester (Post 14237646)
Just spent the past hour on a plane reading about XRay because it happened to save on safari. Maybe I'll just flip a coin. I have read in multiple threads that Serpent and the Mugen were built like tanks so I will research the two further. With as much stuff that I slam into being built well is what I'm all about.

On a side note I'm a member on only two forums. The Hull Truth and as of today rctech. Lucky me they are identical in their formats.

Either way choosing an RC buggy is some excited research and I appreciate all the replies.

I think the xray xb9 uses 3mm screws on the sliding motors mount. i didn't like that... + xray steel parts are really expensive

Houlester 10-25-2015 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by werner sline (Post 14237863)
I think the xray xb9 uses 3mm screws on the sliding motors mount. i didn't like that... + xray steel parts are really expensive

It would be nice if there was an RC fair. :) I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got a few. Lol

What are the top 3 buggies? The Mugen looks awesome but I kinda wanted to get a kit first I could completely assemble so I can gain a better understanding how everything fits together.