Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help: switching buggy brand >

Help: switching buggy brand

Help: switching buggy brand

Old 10-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have raced just about all of them (no yokomo). It is always good to try something different. If you sell your AE kits used, and buy a couple Kyoshos equally used, it won't cost you much money. Try to find a kit that a guy is selling that has roughly the same amount of spares that you sell when you ditch your AE kit. No big deal.

The first buggy I bought when I got back into offroad racing back in 09, was a B4. I have run the gamut of AE, losi, Kyosho, durango, and schumacher. Needless to say, I am back in an AE car loving my B5m. I think it's the best car on the market.

Some guys at my track love their 22s, or their RB6s, and will tell you THOSE cars are the best on the market. Most of it is personal preference, and unless you try them out, you won't know which kit fits you best. If you're going to try something different, I would try kyosho next. Not as durable as the B5 platform (but very close), and parts are more expensive, but it's a fantastic kit.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Cpt.america ^ thank you so much for that last comment means a lot for you to understand. And thanks to everyone else!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I am currently in the same position! I sold both of my B5M's this summer and am currently looking at either the Kyosho RB6, The Schumacher KF2, the Yokomo YZ-2, or maybe the B5ML. They are all great buggies from what I've heard. Just how much $ do I want to spend and how much $ do I want to spend on hop-ups? The B5ML will definitely be the cheapes to throw on the track! Mild mod set-up for me (9-10.5t). Indoor damp clay med-high bite.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Tech Rookie

This year i have changed my 2WD Buggy and 2WD SC to Serpent. Both a great cars. I have never used a spare part the full season on both cars. Serpent have a 4WD too, but i have never tested (I have a D413).

Why do you want the 2WD and 4WD from the same manufacturer?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

hobby pro prs1 v2 is pretty fantastic but parts need to be ordered online if you want to stay racing. i drive all tlr stuff right now but im running the exotek chassis on all of my cars so that jacks the price up. personally if i were in your position save up the extra dough and get the kyosho rb6. fantastic car, quality parts, and no shortage of parts avaliability (dont expect parts to be cheap though XD)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 AM
mes
Tech Master

So many choices out there, some of which may work or not for you depending on where you are racing. If Astro/carpet is your thing, chances are high you won't be happy with a Serpent car. If Kyosho offers decent support, their cars are an obvious choice. Xray built excellent stuff, but I would not buy it due to their race team's controversial conduct (too many incidents at international races for my liking this year...). My all-time favorite has been Yokomo: Great quality and design, durable, good prices and a pure racing pedigree, no weird RTRs here (exept for some micro crawlers ).
I never had any problems with getting parts in Europe, and before the dealer network was as good as it is today, shipping from Asia never was an issue.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by manumanrc View Post
Schumacher just release a new 4wd, the K2. The new 2wd is cooking, wil be out by december. You have options for rear and mid motor. The quality is like Xray or Kyosho, and parts are easily available in US. I'm in Canada and can have everything in less than a week in some cases.
If you look to the last worlds, the only production car in the A was Orlowsky with the K2.
the new 2wd is cooking? what new 2wd?
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by psycho02 View Post
the new 2wd is cooking? what new 2wd?
There is the K2 coming. Maybe a new mid motor. I see the SV2 in selling for cheap now.

Last edited by manumanrc; 10-22-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by manumanrc View Post
There is a new KF to be released by december.
KF3? Seriously the KF2 just came out not too long ago...
Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wyattander View Post
So you suggest not switching?
In my experience I always like to try new stuff, but I always come back to my AE rides. I have tried Losi, TLR and Kyosho for what its worth. Each time I go back to the AE stuff, it just works for me.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There's always the TRF 503 and TRF 211XM. Something different with absolute top notch quality! Very capable cars. I always stock up on things I know I will break or wear out and don't have trouble getting parts for any of my Tamiya buggies. Just another option.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lots of choices out there:

Kyosho
Xray
Schumacher
Durango
Losi
Yokomo

Think everyone had a car in the A with the exception of Durango. I love Schumacher's quality. That being said, they sure have released a bunch of cars the last 3-4 years. Yokomo has always been top notch and Kyosho has a cult following. I just ordered an RB6 because I havent raced a Kyosho in over 20 years and figured, why not? I'll probably grab their 4wd as well since my Cat is fairly old (only run a few times in the 3-4 years I've owned it).
Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Durango no longer has an official Factory Team. However, when it comes to the question asked here Allow me to make things difficult for you. LOL

A lot of the advice given here is sound and you can't go wrong with any suggestions here but…

In all actuality, today, almost all of the top kits are so close in performance one can do relatively equally well with most of them. Having said that, certain characteristics will appear to some more than others and when you find a car that fits your driving style and ability, you will know it.

I ran AE cars for 8 years in my previous RC life with the exception of my JRx2 which was equally fantastic and even bette that my RC10. After a 20 year layoff I returned to racing but I loved the 22 so I went with that and it didn't feel right to me from the first time out. I knew most of it was the crap slide-rack steering system but I though through upgrading vastly I could overcome it. I was wrong. After almost $500 in the damn thing the 4.2 was released and I got to try one at the track and immediately I was driving considerably better. The following day I traded my 22 for a 4.2 and it was the best thing I could have done.

HOWEVER, the 4.2 parts quality (or lack there of) was such that after a few times out the car developed slop all over the place (mostly up front) but I remedied most of it with QUALITY TLR Ball Cups and Studs all around and the car was even better. Still, the arms would develop slop and it bugged me enough I began to look around. I ended up pulling the trigger on the PRS1 V2 (I thought one of the coolest looking buggies ever AND No one here has one) and boy was I pleasantly surprised. From the build quality to the precision fit of components, I was sold. Then my first time at the track with it I was even more impressed on how stable the car was under braking and acceleration. The propensity my 4.2 had to whip it's tail end around was not present in the PRS1. I was a different driver and instead of finishing towards the back of the mid pack in the B's I was bumping up to the A's and eventually starting in the A's outright. It was so good I bought my son one and set it up MM and it too was really great, but with a tad more steering.

As for parts, I order from crpplus.com and Rick takes his customers and their needs extremely seriously and he is quick to send your order out each and every time and ALWAYS communicates with you. Simply said, cripples is the best online RC retailer when it comes to things they stock. Unfortunately Rick specializes in Caster Kits and HP/PR kits exclusively so unless you run those brands his stellar service is of no use to you, though the electronics he sells are universal so go to him if you need any electronics.

Anyhow I loved the PRS1 so much I decided to try something other than my DEX410 which is easily the best and definitely the coolest wheeler I've ever owned, and I went with the SB401. again amazing build quality and it's built almost as robustly as an 8th scale buggy. Having said that, the manufacturer reneged on the slipper and all I can run now is the center GD which I am not a fan of because I simply find… THEY FLAT OUT SUCK. LOL Just my opinion I was told, but all those who swore by the CGF are now developing Slippers (go figure) as well as HP/PR so eventually my SB401 might be just as perfect as it's 2WD brother.

Now, just like most people in the hobby, new cars come along and they catch your eye and for me it was the YZ-2 and now the Schumacher K2. The YZ-2 because what I've long awaited is a TRUE MM car where the entire vehicle is purpose built rather than a Stunt Double with the RM Read End flipped around to "make" it into a MM. Not only do I not like Rig Kit for being rigs, I also dislike how they look like hack jobs with he motor plate sticking out like that without any regard for aesthetics.

Yesterday I bought a YZ-2 and will be running that as my 2WD and if I feel my Wheeler isn't hitting the mark once the slipper is released, I will buy myself a K2 and try that. If the K2 somehow doesn't feel right to me, I will simply go back to a DEX410 and be done with it because I already KNOW that car so well and to date it has been the easiest and smoothest running wheeler I've ever driven (even though it's not whisper quiet it is smooth!) outside maybe the XB4 which is eerily similar in design.

Finally, when it comes to local parts support, I've said it countless times, local shops have dropped support for brands they pushed initially that I now longer go out of my way to support them and I order 90% of my stuff online. It takes a little longer but overall it's less expensive. No Taxes and shipping is still cheap enough that it costs me less than going to my local shop. I make sure I stock 3 sets of arms and a few other spares so I'm covered for a complete weekend of racing.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you race mod or stock? do you have b5m and b44.3?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wyattander View Post
So you suggest not switching?
The RB6 slays. Pure and simple it has the best shock package out of the box of any buggy on the market. Period. You can easily mod the car to run multiple battery positions, something the b5m can't do and the 2015 is nearly as light as the AE Lite car bone stock. I've owned almost every brand out there and the Kyosho stuff is just awesome.

Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
I will simply go back to a DEX410 and be done with it because I already KNOW that car so well and to date it has been the easiest and smoothest running wheeler I've ever driven (even though it's not whisper quiet it is smooth!) outside maybe the XB4 which is eerily similar in design.
You think the XB4 and Dex410 are similar in design? What?

Last edited by likea45; 10-20-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.