Xray XB2 2WD Buggy Thread

You're on Page 72 of 365
Go to
  • Quote: Back from the race, the car was great, but as usual it took me a while to learn the track. I qual'ed 4th which is my best result in a long while, usually I make the bottom of the A or the top of the B, but this time I had a bit more luck than usual... until the mains. I broke in the first one (FHS3x6 went out on rear block grrr) and got taken out in the first lap in 2nd one and had to start from dead last, I could climb back to 6th or 7th but not any further.

    The car is surprisingly stable for a mid-motor design. the std 4deg rear toe plus 0 deg antisquat adjustment certainly helped. I did feel it hurt the mid-speed turn right before the straight though as I was kind of understeering there and it costed me a couple of tenths every lap as I couldn't throttle hard at the beginning of the straight. I didn't dare change it as I was too worried I'd lose the rear, although hi-grip, mid-speed corners is where the car should shine by design. I also went up from 4K to 7K in the diff and the car was better everywhere, esp. at the hard braking at the end of the straight (hairpin) where I didn't have to tighten my buttocks everytime I tapped the brakes. One of the other guys I was running with tried to move the pack to the front and he said it was undriveable there. Overall, nothing to complain about, the car worked beautifully for me. A bit more luck would have landed me a top5 finish probably. I just wished I had more wheen time and a track to practice at

    Just one Q though - I ended up adding 50g under the lipo to settle the car down a bit, and it worked beautifully handling-wise. However, as it lifted the shorty by about 1.5mm or so, I had to file the "fork" of the battery holder so it could fit under the waterfall brace... that was a bit of a hack, really. Any elegant solution you folks can suggest?

    Thanks!
    Paul
    You can put washers under the two front brace post and under all the screws on the waterfall brace. Or even get a bit of plastic such as lexan leftovers or thicker bits (plasticard) and make a spacer out of it for the waterfall brace.

    Jonathan
  • Quote: Where did you get the 50gram weight?
    Quote: Back from the race, the car was great, but as usual it took me a while to learn the track. I qual'ed 4th which is my best result in a long while, usually I make the bottom of the A or the top of the B, but this time I had a bit more luck than usual... until the mains. I broke in the first one (FHS3x6 went out on rear block grrr) and got taken out in the first lap in 2nd one and had to start from dead last, I could climb back to 6th or 7th but not any further.

    The car is surprisingly stable for a mid-motor design. the std 4deg rear toe plus 0 deg antisquat adjustment certainly helped. I did feel it hurt the mid-speed turn right before the straight though as I was kind of understeering there and it costed me a couple of tenths every lap as I couldn't throttle hard at the beginning of the straight. I didn't dare change it as I was too worried I'd lose the rear, although hi-grip, mid-speed corners is where the car should shine by design. I also went up from 4K to 7K in the diff and the car was better everywhere, esp. at the hard braking at the end of the straight (hairpin) where I didn't have to tighten my buttocks everytime I tapped the brakes. One of the other guys I was running with tried to move the pack to the front and he said it was undriveable there. Overall, nothing to complain about, the car worked beautifully for me. A bit more luck would have landed me a top5 finish probably. I just wished I had more wheen time and a track to practice at

    Just one Q though - I ended up adding 50g under the lipo to settle the car down a bit, and it worked beautifully handling-wise. However, as it lifted the shorty by about 1.5mm or so, I had to file the "fork" of the battery holder so it could fit under the waterfall brace... that was a bit of a hack, really. Any elegant solution you folks can suggest?

    Thanks!
    Paul
    Quote: You can put washers under the two front brace post and under all the screws on the waterfall brace. Or even get a bit of plastic such as lexan leftovers or thicker bits (plasticard) and make a spacer out of it for the waterfall brace.

    Jonathan
    Use the original Xray 50g weight plate instead.

    It's much thinner at 0.9mm.

    Part #326180

    They are shipping now from Xray

    Bent
  • Quote: What front and rear tire would u guys suggest for high bite carpet?

    Other then the proline tires..
    Shucmacher Cut Stagger Low Profile Yellow front

    Schumacher Mini Pin 1 Yellow rear with Schumacher Medium Blue foam.

    Cut inner and outer row of pins on rear tire.

    JConcepts carpet and astro tires will be out soon

    Bent
  • Quote: New to drilling Pistons, what are the drill bit sizes to do 1.6 and 1.7 holes?
    I bought this set a while ago and it's served me well for drilling pistons.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...on-and-details
  • Quote: Use the original Xray 50g weight plate instead.

    It's much thinner at 0.9mm.

    Part #326180

    They are shipping now from Xray

    Bent
    Thanks Bent. Couldn't find it yet. Any idea what alloy it's made of? I assume some kind of unobtainium Given that I want to buy a pair of ECS, I might be already broke soon anyway On a more serious note, even a 1mm plate wouldn't fit without a mod, the brace is a tight fit... how do you guys do it?

    Suby (you drive a rex?) I used these:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...r10014/p469224. As cheap as can be.

    Shannow, that's what I initially did (washers) but then one loses the "keying" between the parts...

    Thanks,
    Paul
  • Quote:
    Cut inner and outer row of pins on rear tire.
    no way... on 2wd?!?
  • Finally my XB2 is built. This weekend will be the first run. I am using Malin DHI Cup - Odense Carpet Setup as a starting point.

    Overall XB2 noticeably lighter than my RB6, just judging by feel. On medium grip astro how necessary is it to add the 50 grams of weight? What should I expect from the XB2 being a little lighter?
  • Quote: Thanks Bent. Couldn't find it yet. Any idea what alloy it's made of? I assume some kind of unobtainium Given that I want to buy a pair of ECS, I might be already broke soon anyway On a more serious note, even a 1mm plate wouldn't fit without a mod, the brace is a tight fit... how do you guys do it?

    Suby (you drive a rex?) I used these:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...r10014/p469224. As cheap as can be.

    Shannow, that's what I initially did (washers) but then one loses the "keying" between the parts...

    Thanks,
    Paul
    Weight plate is shipping to distributors who have them on order now.

    It fits with no modifications.

    The entire team has been running them for a while now.

    Bent
  • Quote: no way... on 2wd?!?
    Always......unless it's low grip.....adds rotation = corner speed

    Bent
  • Quote: Thanks Bent. Couldn't find it yet. Any idea what alloy it's made of? I assume some kind of unobtainium Given that I want to buy a pair of ECS, I might be already broke soon anyway On a more serious note, even a 1mm plate wouldn't fit without a mod, the brace is a tight fit... how do you guys do it?

    Suby (you drive a rex?) I used these:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...r10014/p469224. As cheap as can be.

    Shannow, that's what I initially did (washers) but then one loses the "keying" between the parts...

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Yep gotta 02 bugeye haha I love Subaru's. I contacted mckune about making a weight that covers the entire tray. I'm just gunna wait impatiently for the Xray weight to show up at RCAmerica.
  • is there a list of part numbers anywhere for the difference between the dirt and carpet editions?

    was thinking of getting them to be able to switch back and forth, but it its super expensive, i might just get the dirt as well...and throw in a gear diff ( I dont like ball diffs)
  • Quote: Yep gotta 02 bugeye haha I love Subaru's.
    Cool - I had a '01 WRX, now a '08 STi. Tanfastic cars

    Well, worst case, you can still file the battery brace like I did... I don't think McKune can stamp alloy... from what I see they can cut stuff, not stamp/mill.
  • just a heads up guys i seen the carpet edition car on a dirt track this past weekend running the 17.5 class. car looked extremely good with box set up. i may have to get one of these things
  • My standard size Orion 4500 shorty(ori14066) have close to zero gap to the battery brace.
    If the foam strips are removed from chassis I measure 0,8-0,9mm gap.
    You don't want the battery brace to be in contact/pressing on the battery, as that would affect the stiffness of the chassis.

    I use a 40g steel block(approx. 40x10x4mm) in front of the battery (battery currently in rear pos).


    Best Regards
    Morgan
  • Quote: My standard size Orion 4500 shorty(ori14066) have close to zero gap to the battery brace.
    If the foam strips are removed from chassis I measure 0,8-0,9mm gap.
    You don't want the battery brace to be in contact/pressing on the battery, as that would affect the stiffness of the chassis.

    I use a 40g steel block(approx. 40x10x4mm) in front of the battery (battery currently in rear pos).


    Best Regards
    Morgan
    The car is actually designed to have the battery brace clamp down on the battery.

    We go the opposite way of your suggestion and add foam strips under the carbon battery brace to ensure it clamps securely on the battery and then add an adjustable turnbuckle connected to the battery brace and the "waterfall" to further stiffen the chassis lengthwise and create more equal flex.

    When doing so we also remove the flex screws from the waterfall under the chassis.

    This works really good for us

    Bent