Wiki Posts
Search

2015 IFMAR World Championships in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cutting42
You don't need the alter the dirt, just the track markers.

Think they are upset to lose their track advantage
Considering there are 4 American drivers in the current top 10, three of which are in the top 5, it seems the advantage is skill and not the track. Not to mention all 4 rarely if ever race on astro/carpet. What's the next plan, force them to use stick radios?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpongeX
I was watching last night and that strip section looks awful. Why not go with a rhythm section in place of what essentially looks like someone left a garden hose on the track.
Had to have some way to deter people from running a Touring car
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
IFMAR is a worldwide organization. No matter what type of track you use, someone will be unhappy. But considering astro is a major surface type used all over the world, nobody should be angry with the decision. Just because you personally run on dirt in your city/county/state/region does not mean that's how things work in the rest of the world.

As far as Yatabe not using their "main" track for the worlds, I am sure there are other factors (like pit space, vendor space, and media space) that were factored in. It looks like a great facility to me, I don't see why people are crabbing about it.
Most sensible thing said of late!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cmgreen
Most sensible thing said of late!
Opinions vary.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricW
Considering there are 4 American drivers in the current top 10, three of which are in the top 5, it seems the advantage is skill and not the track. Not to mention all 4 rarely if ever race on astro/carpet. What's the next plan, force them to use stick radios?
Just kidding buddy, don't sweat it; just answering the ridiculousness of critics of astro with similar ridiculousness of my own.

The best drivers are still the best drivers and the US is the biggest market in the world of RC racing so logical it has the biggest number of top drivers.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Does anybody know how old the rule is for a track change between 2wd and 4wd? Did they change the track at this same facility in 1995 when they held the Worlds? Seems odd that at least all recent tracks have been able to pull it off.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
I agree.
Most people I've been talking to, texting, or on face book with all seem to not like the black rubber strips. The simplicity of them makes me like that section. Looks like it'd be pretty easy to get through easily and for many it appears to be anything but, though the AE cars do look to be some of the best at getting through that section when compared to the other cars. At least in the top heats anyway.
Some of the cars "double" the first two and seem to make up quite a bit of time there. That being said, Tebo wasn't doubling them nor was Rivkin in the heats I watched last night.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

I like every bit of this race. The Japanese spice or whatever they call those bumps, the astro off-road turf, the international flavor. All of it is good with me.

... just wish the pros would stop painting their cars with flames or zig-zags... those themes are tired and show no new creativity.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finalist
I like every bit of this race. The Japanese spice or whatever they call those bumps, the astro off-road turf, the international flavor. All of it is good with me.

... just wish the pros would stop painting their cars with flames or zig-zags... those themes are tired and show no new creativity.
Recently back in the hobbie after 20 years and I concur wholeheartedly with both points.

GO TEBO!!
Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

IFMAR is a worldwide organization. No matter what type of track you use, someone will be unhappy. But considering astro is a major surface type used all over the world, nobody should be angry with the decision. Just because you personally run on dirt in your city/county/state/region does not mean that's how things work in the rest of the world.

As far as Yatabe not using their "main" track for the worlds, I am sure there are other factors (like pit space, vendor space, and media space) that were factored in. It looks like a great facility to me, I don't see why people are crabbing about it.
I think the decision to run astro turf stinks considering at the time they were awarded the bid the rules stated a dirt track.

Carpet / astro is growing on me, but they totally slipped in it after the fact.

I was originally pretty uptight about it, then I watched my favourite scale one eight run their worlds on concrete and lightened up
Old 10-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Fully agree it's a great facility by all accounts. And obviously hard to make everybody happy, even with all the different classes already.

But space I don't see. It appears to be all but side by side tracks in the same facility. If anything it would be more practical to use the on road track for additional space if needed as many have done. According to one video the carpet was already pulled up for protection, although to be fair I'm not sure if that is accurate.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm guessing that the track being temporary was so no one could get an insider advantage. I would venture to bet that the track wasn't actually fully finished until just before people started showing up for practice
Old 10-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Devin
I think the decision to run astro turf stinks considering at the time they were awarded the bid the rules stated a dirt track.

Carpet / astro is growing on me, but they totally slipped in it after the fact.
I don't think they "slipped it in" quite in the sneaky way that you and others have implied.

What I recall, and please correct me if I get the details wrong, but there was meeting of IFMAR where Yatabe could put the proposal forward over changing track surface to Astro, However, this meeting was after the venue selection process.

As Yatabe had a Dirt track they could make a bid based on the old rules knowing that they could also change it to Astro if it was approved by IFMAR. Clearly IFMAR would have known about this once they asked to change to astro and had complete authority to refuse the request. Hardly slipping it in.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wonder why Hara isn't racing?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gooba
I'm guessing that the track being temporary was so no one could get an insider advantage. I would venture to bet that the track wasn't actually fully finished until just before people started showing up for practice
^This sounds like a very sound and rational reason to have a temporary track. Minimize the local advantage for the guys that would have been running on that layout and working on their setup for that speed bump section for weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.