Cheap spec 1/10 rtr racing car choice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap spec 1/10 rtr racing car choice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Cheap spec 1/10 rtr racing car choice.

My friends and I are want to have a racing series with a relatively cheap rtr. I'm curious what you would choose to race. I'm partial to either a tamiya frog or traxxas bandit. The idea is to all have the same cheap brushed car and have a $25 claim rule. If you think someone is cheating you can trade cars for $25. This keeps all the cars even.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what is the price range you are looking for? you dont want to spend more than 25 on the car? is that what you are saying. i dont think you will find much for 25 if that is what you were saying
Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

He wants a car that can be raced box stock for a reasonable price. He wants it so if you feel someone has done something to there car that's an advantage you can trade cars for $25 so if you're following the rules, the recipient gets $25 for nothing. I'd look in to the team associated cars, they're race worth and a good package deal. The traxxas cars would be ok but avoid anything tamiya
Old 09-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

The SC10 is a pretty good truck. But it is brushless. Out of the box it is pretty well balanced.

Why do you want brushed? brushless are so much easier to deal with
Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would assume this is a group of neighborhood kids wanting to get together and race/bash?! If this is the case, I understand why you are going brushed.....cause it's cheaper initially.

The cars you have already chosen are perfect for what you want given the idea that you want to bash and race each other. If you decide to race at an organized local track, they are bad choices.

Let me offer my opinion from experience. I have had Tamiya products since the 80s; still running them today. From my original grasshopper to the TRF211 that I race at the tracks.....They do the job well from bashing to racing. The Frog is going to give you guys great experience building a kit. It will allow you choices for your battery, charger and transmitter that you wish to use. You will also be able to customize you car in the paint scheme of your choice. The kit will come with an electronic speed control and a very durable 540 motor. The downside is that the ESC is not waterproof and who knows how much longer parts will be available because it is, after all, an older design and being offered as a re-release. However, it does share some parts with a few other vehicles so you should be able to find what you need for another 5 years or so.

The Traxxas Bandit; I had one of these back in the 90s when it came out with a mechanical speed control, stinger motor and was still in kit form. Today, they are pre-assembled with everything you need to drive. They are faster than the Frog, more robust(the chassis), have more hopups available and share a lot of parts with their cousin(Rustler). The ESC is waterproof and the battery/transmitter that come with the car work fairly well enough as long as you take care of it. Parts availability is definitely abundant and these things have been around forever....I would be shocked if Traxxas decided to discontinue the Bandit/Rustler/Stampede line of vehicles. The downside of the Bandit; the Titan brushed motor(although faster) is not as durable. I've burned these out within months of being new but they are fairly cheap to replace. You can also fit a Tamiya 540 in it's place...again, slower but last longer. You can only choose the color of what they offer and the battery, charger and transmitter(while decent) will be what you receive in the package.

If it were me....I would do whatever possible to get together a few extra bucks for the Traxxas Rustler. In my opinion, probably the most versatile bash/race truck available. We have a few of these running in our sportsman class and they perform quite well. They are super tough and have more ground clearance for bashing duty. If Traxxas put a better brushed motor in their vehicles(like the old Stinger), they would have a bit slower but more durable product.

This is all based on assumption....and in case you are going to race at a local track on an organized level.....then the Bandit/Rustler is going to work better IF they offer a sportsman/beginner class. Otherwise, none of the vehicles you mentioned are going to be very competitive.

Either way, I like what you guys are doing and hope you can successfully pull it off. It warms my heart when kids are getting out and enjoying REAL experiences rather than relying on video games. Good luck and I hope I was able to help

Ob1n
Old 09-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This would be my choice. Comes with what you need and isn't to far off from decent if you take it to a local track.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...y_To_Run_.html
Old 09-28-2015, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

I like the rustler idea, I forgot about stadium trucks! BTW we are all grown men with all kinds of cars from 4x4 sct to 2wd buggys. I just think it would be fun to race slow cheap cars that no one would have to work on, or even bother cleaning I considered the hobbyking buggy but I don't know about the belt and I want a vehicle that supports my local hobby shop. Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by likea45
This would be my choice. Comes with what you need and isn't to far off from decent if you take it to a local track.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...y_To_Run_.html
There you go. Has all the qualities of today's top end cars really except that the transmission is belt drive, which I've never seen on any 2wd buggy but this would be a great choice if all you guys wanna do is race a "spec" car for fun.

Edit: Although because it's something from Hobbyking, I would suggest ordering spare parts for it if you order the car. Suggestions would be front and rear arms, maybe turnbuckles, shock towers, and transmission belts.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
the transmission is belt drive, which I've never seen on any 2wd buggy
Schumaker KF2
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh...ougar_KF2.html
Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

I've never seen that car before. I guy I race with used to run all Schumacher stuff but he never had a 2wd that was belt drive, just his 4wd car was.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtthebiggafigga
My friends and I are want to have a racing series with a relatively cheap rtr. I'm curious what you would choose to race. I'm partial to either a tamiya frog or traxxas bandit. The idea is to all have the same cheap brushed car and have a $25 claim rule. If you think someone is cheating you can trade cars for $25. This keeps all the cars even.
This is a great idea... But only if the money you attach to the trade rule matches the cost of the kit you get with the trade. For example, lets say you have two racers, and each have spent $100 total on their inexpensive kit.

- Racer #1 keeps his spec kit in pristine condition. It's flawless in every way. It's faster, because it's better maintained. The rig has zero issues
- Racer #2 keeps his car like garbage. It's bent, it's rusty, it doesn't run very well, it's never maintained, and because of all this, it's slow around the track

All racer#2 has to do is claim racer#1s car for $25, and vuala.. he has a brand new car!! WOOOPIE!! Racer #1 then has to go spend $75 more bucks to get his car back. This system will not work. In order for it to work, you need to make the claim cost match the cost of the kit. In this example, $100.

-Cpt.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It sounds like it could be fun, but I agree with Cpt. Make it the price of the kit for the trade, that way expensive upgrades would be uneconomical, but you wouldn't end up with someone else's junker. If you've ruined your own kit, you can just buy a new kit before you take your fellow racers.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
I've never seen that car before. I guy I race with used to run all Schumacher stuff but he never had a 2wd that was belt drive, just his 4wd car was.
Interesting. It's more popular than both Losi and Associated at my local track. Maybe even more popular than both of those combined.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by s1a1om
Interesting. It's more popular than both Losi and Associated at my local track. Maybe even more popular than both of those combined.
Most popular at our track is Associated, though it helps when we have like 5 Associated sponsored drivers. The Schumacher car is mainly designed for what they race on in Europe, which is mainly carpet. That car is designed for super high bite tracks.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Do your research on those HK cars, a lot of the time they cross over with other cars and replacement parts can be had for next to nothing. I bought a Quantum Vandal from HK as a cheap 4wd buggy, not a bad car and it was pretty durable. I stumbled on to a place in Ohio that sold a car very similar that shared all the same parts..... but the parts were dirt cheap.....I think a set of front control arms were like $2.50. the down side was if it broke you had to order it.

My choice would be a brushed RTR Slash, you can get parts everywhere, it's inexpensive and works pretty good right out of the box. Plus if you are beatin and bangin with your buddy's the body covers the tires and they wont get hung up as easy. There is also like ten different bodies so you don't all have to have the same one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.