Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 e buggy choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 1/8 e buggy choice

Looking to get a 1/8 e buggy and trying to decide which.

It'll be a mix of bashing and racing, depending on how the local race scene unfolds over the next year.

I am looking at buying used to save some $. I see that team associated and kyosho make rtr versions of their buggies as well as the likes of duratrax, ofna and others. The cost of the rtr models is attractive however I feel that the kit versions are a better option.

I've already got a radio, servo and esc which means I'd only need to get a motor and battery if I was to buy a roller.

Locally I've seen people running the Losi, team associated, dex8 and a mugen nitro. I have no problem ordering parts online however want to find a solid buggy that doesn't break every run.

I had decided on the rc8.2e and just before buying did a bit more searching on Google. Needless to say I'm now second guessing my decision and can't decide which to get. I have seen seemingly good deals come and go on a Losi 2.0, an rc8.2e and a Mugen mbx6 Eco.

Any advice would be helpful.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You're going to get a lot of different suggestions since this question comes up fairly often and everyone has their favorite. From what I've experienced and read the top 2 are xray and tekno for durability. A lot of guys also put serpent up there too. Mugen I would put below them mainly for the front arms. They usually can't take a big hit without breaking. The kyosho drives great but is probably the most fragile of all the buggies I've had. And parts aren't cheap. The losi is also very durable but a lot of people don't like them because they tend to wear quicker than most.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

If your looking at a mugen I would go with the mbx7r. Very good buggy. I had the chance to drive a tekno eb48.3...that is going to be my next buggy. It is awesome.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Serpent mugen and X-ray are your best bets for all uses. Parts are spendy on all 3. I suggest buy one buggy for racing and another to bash.

I've broken enough tekno plastics to know they aren't going to be the best for bashing. Serpent has likely the toughest plastics around. I say a Vorza for bashing and a cobra 811 for racing.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand the idea of having separate cars for bashing and racing however to start I can only buy one.
So either a racer that I'll also bash or a basher that I'll race if/when the opportunity presents itself.

Thinking that I should start with something bash worthy rather than race worthy. If I race often enough and add a dedicated racer I'll be better off than wearing out a racer by bashing the heck out of it.

On that note I'm considering the rc8.2e as they come up reasonably priced second-hand and parts are plentiful and not too expensive. I've also looked at the duratrax 835e but am thinking that the rc8.2 will make a better occasional racer.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 AM
Tech Adept

My only experience in modern buggies is with Xray. Yet I advice it with confidence. I have it since one season and its resilience is just incredible. Design and materials are outstanding. They use a reinforced polyolefine plastic that still puzzles me. I basically never damaged it substantially in one season at the local circuit. And it's fast too.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with Tekno and Xray as probably the most Durable buggies on the market. Theyre both incredibly strong, very tune able, both have really good build quality and high grade materials used.

I have an Xb8e and love it! I had a Hong Nor sabre x3-e pro before and i really enjoyed and loved it. But needed a new buggy. I couldnt decide between the mugen and xray but settled on the xray and do not regret it one little bit.

The build quality is insane, quality of parts is insane and how it performs is even better. Im extremely impressed by it. Im yet to break a single part on it or have any wear. Its extremely tune able, handles very well on the track, responds very well to minor set up changes, doesnt require any hop ups at all, which cant be said for alot of other kits on the market... on the track it is a very nice car to drive! It responds very well in the air and in corners.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've had a factory team rc8.2 e and a tekkie eb48.2 currently. The Factory team rc8.2e is the way to go if you go with a rc8.2e its got allot of features that are handy for performance and durability. My favorite out of the two is the Tekno, it has more front weight bias so it steers like a champ, the buggy over all seems lighter and more nimble. Also both seem equally durable and capable. But i prefer the Tekno more.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks again for the feedback.

If I go with that rc8.2e I will look for a factory team. It does seem to have a few nicer features over the rtr. If looking used the easiest way to identify the factory kit over the rtr seems to be the threaded shocks and motor mount style.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

I have the RC8.2e FT and Kyosho MP9e and I have no issues whatsoever with these buggy. I race mostly and so far I didn't break anything on them. Parts are easy to get for both buggies if my LHS doesn't have it the net does. So any of these buggies would be a great choice.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
You're going to get a lot of different suggestions since this question comes up fairly often and everyone has their favorite. From what I've experienced and read the top 2 are xray and tekno for durability. A lot of guys also put serpent up there too. Mugen I would put below them mainly for the front arms. They usually can't take a big hit without breaking. The kyosho drives great but is probably the most fragile of all the buggies I've had. And parts aren't cheap. The losi is also very durable but a lot of people don't like them because they tend to wear quicker than most.
I'm surprised to hear you say that about the mugen. Maybe that was a problem before the R version mugens. I've never seen an arm break minus 2 guys that ran straight into the back wall at the track. Occasionally I throw some truggy tires on my mbx7r and have a backflip fest. I'd say mugen or xray, I personally am not a fan of Tekno but they do seem tough
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turtlex
I'm surprised to hear you say that about the mugen. Maybe that was a problem before the R version mugens. I've never seen an arm break minus 2 guys that ran straight into the back wall at the track. Occasionally I throw some truggy tires on my mbx7r and have a backflip fest. I'd say mugen or xray, I personally am not a fan of Tekno but they do seem tough
The buggy seems tough but I broke 2 front arms in 2 race days on my 7r eco. That's more than I broke on other buggies in the last few years.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
The buggy seems tough but I broke 2 front arms in 2 race days on my 7r eco. That's more than I broke on other buggies in the last few years.
Hmm maybe it was a bad batch of plastic. I let new drivers test drive my mugen cause I know even if they launch it and crash it won't break. Goes to show everyone's experiences differ
Old 09-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turtlex
Hmm maybe it was a bad batch of plastic. I let new drivers test drive my mugen cause I know even if they launch it and crash it won't break. Goes to show everyone's experiences differ
Could be. I haven't had any problems with my 7r nitro buggy.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ill vouch for mugen having too brittle of plastic, i have 6 broken left lower arms never broke a right. other than that they are tough as nails. i would say serpent takes the cake on plastics though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.