Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which Monster Truck is the most competitive racer??? >

Which Monster Truck is the most competitive racer???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Monster Truck is the most competitive racer???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Which Monster Truck is the most competitive racer???

I am kicking around the idea of getting a monster truck to race. The class seems to be picking up around here and I don't know which one gives you the edge. I think the LST is the most impressive (probably because I'm also a losi fan) but I have seen some guys doing pretty well with savages and MGT's too. Let me know what you think, and what you have to do to these trucks to make them competitive. Thanks,Bob
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

i'm not sure about the lst . but the savage is easy to race . gearing but that's a given . tires / shock tuning / good pipe . mgt about the same . or check out the revo .
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

savages cant hang with a revo and lst's ahve WAY too many problems. Or you can go with a truggy, like the hot bodies ligtning stadium pro or the new jammin trucjk those are the best but the revo is the best standard mt and good for beginners.....but definetly not savage!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

The new LST2 is the biggest, baddest, fastest, toughest, best monster truck in the "Monster truck" class.

If you're going truggy, might as well consider the National Champion Jammin' X1-CRT!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would not recommend the Savage, I tried to build a race truck out of mine and it got slaughtered by the everything execpt the Tmaxx's, lol. The drive train is just way to weak, it breaks easily if you get some real power in it. And the centre of gravity is to high, etc, etc....

I would go Revo, it doesnt require many upgrades to be competitive. Just tires, eliminate reverse, starter box/pull start, and some suspension tuning.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

I see alot of Revo's at the track people love them.I never raced but i owned one and it was awsome
Old 10-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

the biggest advantage any monster truck is going to have is who is holding the controller. They all have their good points:
Savage - easily the most durable, just takes alot to be race worthy
Revo - Race ready right out of the box
LSP and Jammin - awesome, not always legal for certain classes
LST - best RTR electronics anywhere, breakage
MGT - handles great for a big truck
T-maxx - well, almost all have good points lol

I believe Scott Cramer won Production MT at RC Pro North this year with an MGT that had a box stock motor the first two rounds. Before going UMT, Matt Gosch did very well with his MGT also.

Matt Gosch didnt miss a beat when he went from LSP to Jammin this year either.

I currently own a Savage with what seems like a billion dollars in it, an MGT 4.60 with the FT steering and forward only, an LSP and a decked out Revo.

The LSP is the easiest to drive. Unless you bag the pipes it seems almost impossible to wreck it. The worst thing about it is club racing and having to listen to guys with REVO's whine about losing to it...

I just got my Revo the last couple weeks and havent got to race it but I can say in the driveway and yard it turns tighter than anything else I own. (Its got the RD Racing quick turn). Very peppy with the OS .18TM. Seems like it could use a longer wheelbase to be more stable but its a MT not a buggy.

If you plan on doing ANY bashing stick with the Savage, LST or MGT. The others are mainly for racing. No matter what, pick one and practice practice practice so you learn to drive it because they all drive differently.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bob_capo
I am kicking around the idea of getting a monster truck to race. The class seems to be picking up around here and I don't know which one gives you the edge. I think the LST is the most impressive (probably because I'm also a losi fan) but I have seen some guys doing pretty well with savages and MGT's too. Let me know what you think, and what you have to do to these trucks to make them competitive. Thanks,Bob
Hi Bob,

I taken up off-road truggy racing recently I am having a blast with my HB LSP (i have the Pro R edition). The truck is very durable and believe me I put it to the test (on-road guy trying to learn to jump and land in off-road is madness ) and I think as I spend more time with it and practicing, I can get down a setup that will work pretty good because the truck is easy to tune (suspension wise) and it reflects on the track what your adjustment did so it makes it easy to learn the truck. I also think this truck offers the best bang for the buck

I also driven a LST one time, one of the Losi engineer was kind enough to let me try his (forgot his name) so it was dialed in and hooked up, it was very easy to drive, plenty fast with the stock engine, and very durable (again, I put it to the test), so another good choice (probably go with the LST2 now).

The Jammin X1-CRT has been the most popular through our shop, but I haven't seen one run in person just yet, but it looks like a solid winning design

Steve Wang
Old 11-01-2005, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

hot bodies ligtning stadium pro
Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default re: mt

i have a race maxx. if oyu lower it and widen it w/rpm arms, it's extremely competitive.
my savage 25 is impossible to break, but it takes alot of cash to make it race worthy.
my revo is good from the box. i just put rpm arms on it.
if you want the best go with a hotbodies lsp.
mine has a wasp .28, and it kills any standard mt.
also, i had a tamiya tnx pro. very fast. easily hung with revos.
don't get the associated mgt. too big and heavy and fragile.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Consider Monster trucks to be 3 classes: Monster small block (.18 and under engines, primarily the Revo), Monster Big block (.21 and up, Tmaxx, MGT, LST) and UMT (Buggy based trucks, JAmmin CRT, Hot Bodies LSP).
The third category is very different. They run circles around the other types on the track and are much more expensive. Ironically, they require the least amount of hop ups to be top notch since they were intended for racing to begin with.
Check at your track to see what most guys run. If it's mostly MGTs, LSTs, and Revos then go that route. You will have more fun if you are running a similar truck to the others out there.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Can't forget the Tamiya TNX
Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

I am not a beginner. I have been racing electric for years and I started to get the nitro bug last year so I got and AD2 and I love it. Now after running at nitro races the MT class looks like a ton of fun so I think I want one. I love the looks of the losi but it is so expensive. To get it race ready you spend $599 on the truck then you have to put at least another $150 in tires, forward only conversion aluminum cases etc... And I have heard the break often. It seems at the tracks that I frequent everyone is racing Losi, Savage, MGT and I have seen Revo's but not too many. What does it take to get a Savage or an MGT race ready?? I saw a Savage 25 kit on ebay RTR for 379.99 and it looks pretty good. The MGT seems reasonable too but I have been told that the engine it comes with is crap.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah Matt the TNX is good, but parts support is WORSE than Hot Bodies!!!! I STILL want one though. Just have a few extra spurs around.
The MGT IS a very nice racer just have to put a little $$ into it. Like MOST trucks. Even Revos.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Davidka Is spot on.
locally we had a fairly competitive revo class(smallblock) but along came truggys(hot bodies& jammin) and devistated that class.
there wasn't enough of them initially so they put them all together.
Now revo's are almost extinct in our area.
Buy what is the largest class in your area. It makes it a lot more fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.