R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to smaxxman

Mgt has a lot of engine problems, You get what ou pay for....the onlygood deal is maybe the new mammoth st by xtm, its cheap and runs decent but they do break a little that your best bet for price vs. quality. Savage is a rip off they arent good even if they are 370. DO yourself a favor spend the extra money and get a good truck like a lightning stadium pro or jammin they are unstopable but at some tracks they may not be allowed in the standard mt class, i had a revo and was putting almost 5 laps on the rest of the field after i put a considerable amount of time and money into it but then i bought a lightning stadium pro which is a little bit more than the stock revo and put 10 laps on everyone and broke all of the lap records made by the 1/8th scale buggy class. Also at ROAR region 2 pro driver Chris Crews brought out his lsp for the second time ever racing it and almost qualified faster than his 1/8th scale buggy. They are sooooo awesome i cant say enough about them. If you arent into the whole unlimited scene then go to the revo, stock vs stock on all of the standard mt's the revo will win most of the time with the right drier, i have never lost to an lst or anything for that matter except another revo and lightning stadium pro's. Revo is very durable and rarely breaks...and not much is needed to make it a-main material.
smaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The track that I would want to race it at doesn't allow Truggy's. What's up with the Revo's slanted motor, and horizontal shocks?? seems odd.
bob_capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

F1 tech baby! (just kidding)
I don't know about the slanted motor but the rocker driven suspension is the real deal. The shocks are much smaller and the quality of travel is very good. It allows for a smaller, lower body which looks good. The shocks are tucked up under the body which keeps them from getting broken in crashes too.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to richb3

No truggies!! Arggggg. I just gave up my savage to get a jammin CRT and couldn't be happier. I can't tell you which to get, but I could not keep the drivetrain together on the savage: broken driveshafts, stripped spur teeth and melted slipper pads, and blown 2nd speeds all the time. The thing handled nice and could hang, but it couldn't finish a race! My recommendation, and i really liked it so I wish I didn't have to say this, is to not get the savage...
richb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #20
Tech Regular

im not sure why the motor is tilted and never really though of it but it probably hasto do with ballance, the f1 styled shocks make a hugdifference lots of travel, and the revo is the lowest sitting mt in the class.....which is very important, you dont want a top heavy car look at how low buggies and truggies are.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Thats true about how low they sit. I seem to be hearing alot of good things about the revo. It's just is against everything I know to even consider buying a traxxas product. Makes me shiver r r r r r
Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #22
Tech Regular

yeh i was the same way but they definetly thought theres through. I haveone that i dont use and its set up for racing and i am keeoing it as a backup because i know it is sooooo reliable.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Id definately recommend the Revo....if you want to run "Small Block". With a select few mods, silcone change for the diffs n shocks, and an O.S .18 TM or TZ yer good to go. At my track this summer, Revo's equipped in such a manner turned faster times than Big Block MTs...IMO, if you want to go BB, get a truggy....Jammin, HB or maybe the new TTR-ST1
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to never lift

the only problem i had with my savage was the rear center shaft . and that was my fault .when i upgraded to the truckzilla kit .. i have the three speed in mine with the .46
never lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:21 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default YOU CAN MAKE ANYTHING A RACER

you can make them all racers.
out of all of mine, i like driving the savage the most(?????).
i have no problems with the drivetrain.
just lower it, put a pipe on it, and some dirt bonz, and you will
have a blast. that would get you in under $600.
now, that doesn't mean it is my fastest around the track.....
it is a fun, on the edge, drive.
my lsp, revo, and racemaxx will all beat it around the track.
but if i put a little more into it, it would be right there.
the best thing to do is practice with your set up and practice driving.
and have fun........
CHAVAN30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Talking

I would say a revo or the MGT. I have raved a revo a couple of times and race my MGT allot. The revo is a little lower and does pretty much come race ready after you buy some real tires for it. THe bummer about the revo is that is SOOO difficult to work on. You have to have tiny hands and everything is always buried under tons of other parts. The MGT on the other hand is a breeze to work on. You can remove the whole tranny in under 3 minutes. The motors are about the same, the MGT being slightly easier to tune. I don't know what that guy is talking about above when he says the MGT has a crap motor. The TT has lots of power and can take a merciless beating.

You have to figure that with any truck that new rims, tires, and 23mm nuts are going to run you $120.
themanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you have to get a montster truck, get a Revo. Sure everyone has one but that's for a reason. The motor is slanted inward to get it lower in the chassis and closer to the center of gravity.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I would say Revo and not just so you can run our body, but because the truck is a great all around performer that will be easy on your wallet compared to others and it is very capable.

....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Thats funny you bring up your bodies. I just painted a J concepts MF2 body for the Mf2 that I am getting rid of to finance this whole monster truck project. LOL If I get a Revo I will be ordering one. I am going to PM you about an issue that I had.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Bob, I sent a response...thanks.

Btw, the MF2 is an awesome truck "in it's class", i've won a bunch of state series races this year with mine, .......Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote