Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is rear motor dead? >

Is rear motor dead?

Is rear motor dead?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Honda civics are extremely popular in continental tire series and scca and do rather well as FWD cars. While I vehemently disagree with FWD is better in snow, on a road course in the right hands they are very fast. However I don't see this thing taking off here in the US. Overseas on astro they may take off
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are plenty of fwd race cars that work well. Here is Chris Rado's 1200hp time attack record holding Fwd Scion tc.

That being said, what works for full size cars has absolutely nothing to do with our off-road 1/10th scale cars. I just can't understand why people can't grasp that the two have NOTHING to do with one another.

As for the Fwd buggy, ROAR rules stipulate that Fwd cars run with 4wd cars, so unless you live in the Netherlands (where that fwd buggy is made), good luck being anywhere near the pace of a 4wd buggy.

Unless you run somewhere with loose dirt, and a spec tire that sucks, a mid motor will be able to work at least as good as a rear motor, likely better. Mark my word, this is the last generation of buggies that will have rear motor options. Racing is about evolving to go as fast as possible. The surfaces and tires have made it to the point where we have enough traction that mid-motor work better. For those that don't like it, Boohoo.

[/THREAD]
Old 08-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I thought BK was the first when he raced for x-factory. Regardless, someone probably did it "first" in the 80's or 90's anyway.
There were mid motors in the 80s, but most were conversion kits or home made. I was watching a Vintage race last night and I saw a RC10 that was converted to MM.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Although I really like the unconventional look (and the thinking-outside-the-box) of this project, I doubt it will be much of a success. After all, the conversion kit alone is 350€ - and you still need a Durango DEX210v2 as donor car (or DEX210 with some additional parts) - so we're already talking about more than 600€ to get this little thing together. And that's still only the chassis - electronics come on top of that. So, unless it outperforms all other buggies by a lot, I don't think many people will put up that much money for it.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gooba
Pssshh Mid motor and rear motor are so last year Front motor is where its at.

I could imagine misjudging a jump, nope diving and doing some damage with the motor so far out front...
Old 08-16-2015, 08:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Anyone try taking a 22-4, removing the front belt and running it as a 2wd?

I would think that it would be better balanced than that conversion kit.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
Anyone try taking a 22-4, removing the front belt and running it as a 2wd?

I would think that it would be better balanced than that conversion kit.
you mean the rear belt? maybe, but the whole idea of that car is to pack all the weight on those two tires as those dictate turning and forward traction
Old 08-21-2015, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There is a pic of Ryan Cavalieri testing & running his 2wd buggy in rear motor configuration at an off-road track today.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Schumacher KF.
From what I saw the motor was still mid-mounted, it was just further up than most other cars, making it probably closer to true center on the car. Still, very cool car.

My suggestion/idea was based on real cars, with the rear wheels being powered by an engine in front of or over the front axle. As someone else mentioned though, not all full size car dynamics scale down to RC cars. I think such an RC car would still be interesting to see though.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Another large difference is that our "fuel" is the heaviest component. Moving the motor around doesn't have quite as dramatic an effect as in a full-scale car.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

We tested rear motor on the track used for the euros over here in the UK. That day the track was fresh and slippy and both mm and rm turned a similar lap time, but the mm was easier to drive. MM does one thing say oversteer a little, but the rm can oversteer then push through the same corner.
When the Euros ran we used extra calcium and a bit of sugar to bring the grip up so it was different to the warm up race, so everyone ran mm.
Maybe an extra class is needed, I do like the look of rm cars.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4wd Racer
There is a pic of Ryan Cavalieri testing & running his 2wd buggy in rear motor configuration at an off-road track today.
He ran RM at one of our local outdoor tracks this weekend, as did nearly all of the racers. Watching the the few MM cars that did show, I doubt most club level racers would benefit from switching between RM and MM for different track surfaces. I think dealing with basic tuning and finding the right tire and foam combo has more of an influence. The MM cars looked just as dialed, and most were able to run laps on par with most of the RM cars driven by drivers of similar skill. I really like the feel of MM, so will likely stay with that layout and work with suspension setup and weight bias. It's come down to personal preference.