Wiki Posts
Search

Insurance on RC collections?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Insurance on RC collections?

So I'm about to renewing my home owners policy and it appears I'll need to purchase additional insurance to cover my RC collection as it exceeds what my homeowners insurance will cover for these items should the house burn down, tornado strike or a burglary.

I currently estimate that with tools, vehicles, parts, radios & batteries I have 10-15K worth of stuff.

Just curious if anyone else carries additional insurance on their RC stuff and what decent coverage costs per year.

Thanks,
Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mine are covered under my home owners insurance I didn't need to add anything additional. I just had to give a list and pictures of said items.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was just thinking about this the other day too. I have personal articles policy on my music gear besides homeowner's insurance on the house. I should add my RC gear onto the personal articles since I too am easily over $12K on my RC gear.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snwchris
Mine are covered under my home owners insurance I didn't need to add anything additional. I just had to give a list and pictures of said items.
I'll have to talk with an agent to see, but items worth more than a few thousand like jewelry, guns, coins and computers require an additional clause on my current policy. I'll have to do some shopping, maybe there I can find a better policy with another carrier?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Had mine stolen out of my car while it was in the driveway, packed the car the night before cactus this was years ago but none the less homeowners covered everything we argued a bit on values and replacement cost but in the end I ended up turning out ok. I have been thinking of contacting my insurance to update as cost have risen
Old 08-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Had all my stuff stolen, like the guy above, in the driveway. I estimated about $1500 in replacement cost. Well, insurance deductible is $1k, and agent warned me if I file a claim my rates would go up. So, ended up eating the cost.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mick33b4
Had all my stuff stolen, like the guy above, in the driveway. I estimated about $1500 in replacement cost. Well, insurance deductible is $1k, and agent warned me if I file a claim my rates would go up. So, ended up eating the cost.
Ouch... Back in late 2000's, a buddy who kept EVERYTHING in his trailer had it "disappear" while he was on vacation. Insurance said because it wasn't hooked to a vehicle, they could only cover the trailer (had his home and auto thru same company) no matter what he proved was in there. They gave him full price for the trailer ( 3500ish I believe) and he had to eat the other $15-20K of tools, cars ( about 10 of them from 1/5 to 1/12), electronics, batteries, pretty much everything you could ever want, need or used over the span of 30 years in RC. He was a pack rat and kept everything except worn out/ old cars.

About 5 years later, he noticed it heading down the freeway ( had a custom double hinge drop gate) and followed it. Turns out some Coyotes stole it and were using it to haul illegals from Nogales to Phoenix at about 100 at a time.

Point being, keep an inventory with pics and prices of everything you have. No matter how small or insignificant it may be, it worth money. And you spent your hard earned money to get it. Why let some low life take YOUR stuff.

Your insurance should be able to protect you but you might pay an extra $5-10.