Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Stripped wheel hex? >

Stripped wheel hex?

Stripped wheel hex?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
skeasor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 1,089
Default Stripped wheel hex?

I stripped out the screw on the wheel hex on my XB4 and was going to drill it out but didn't know if anyone else had any other tricks?

This is the part I'm talking about: http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/exotek-...409blk/p441104

Thanks!
skeasor is offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 AM
  #2  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hawkes Bay. New Zealand
Posts: 292
Default

Tricky one that, I'd try to pry it off with a flat screw driver, when off it should loosen up if you push the hub together.
RossNZ is offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (140)
 
timannnn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,284
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

These work awesome. Used more than a few times and have always worked. Bought mine at Ace hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-4507P-Gr.../dp/B000Q60UOO
timannnn6 is offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
wittyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,884
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Have you tried a bit of heat first ? The aluminum will expand quickly enough you may be able to get the screw right out , or at least expand it enough to pop it right off the axle . Then you have plenty of room to work
wittyname is offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 08:22 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
skeasor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 1,089
Default

Originally Posted by timannnn6 View Post
These work awesome. Used more than a few times and have always worked. Bought mine at Ace hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-4507P-Gr.../dp/B000Q60UOO
I've been meaning to pick some of those up but always forget.

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Have you tried a bit of heat first ? The aluminum will expand quickly enough you may be able to get the screw right out , or at least expand it enough to pop it right off the axle . Then you have plenty of room to work
I may try that...Just use an old soldering tip?
skeasor is offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
wittyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,884
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skeasor View Post
I've been meaning to pick some of those up but always forget.



I may try that...Just use an old soldering tip?
I personally use open flame .... but a tip may work . I have a small pencil torch for plumbing that comes in really handy . Bic lighter , whatever .
wittyname is offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 AM
  #7  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
skeasor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 1,089
Default

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
I personally use open flame .... but a tip may work . I have a small pencil torch for plumbing that comes in really handy . Bic lighter , whatever .
Thanks! I got it off by heating it up with the soldering iron and prying it off...It took some effort but was able to get it off without breaking anything else
skeasor is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.