Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Beginner questions - Arrma Mega - Good buy? >

Beginner questions - Arrma Mega - Good buy?

Beginner questions - Arrma Mega - Good buy?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner questions - Arrma Mega - Good buy?

Background:
I have no experience with hobby level RC car.
( Short story long. i wanted a hobby RC Buggy when i was a kid. But my folks didn't want to spend the $$$. Only had a 12.99 Walmart crap that I drove inside the house.)

Anyhow, here is what i am looking:
  • Father and sons fun activity/project - (9yr +6 yr boys)
  • Easy for my 9 yr to drive (my 6 yr is not very mature. Don't expect him to drive yet)
  • inexpensive for hobby level RC grade
  • Easy for me to set up and maintain

I have been checking out the Arrma Mega line.
  1. They seem to be great entry level RTR
  2. great price for 159 (buggy) to 189 (Short Course)
  3. Great site (i know this is silly but i just enjoy browsing their site and rewatching the Mega line promo video)

SO the Arrma Mega line just went on sale on TowerHobbies - www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&P=SM&C=CAI&V=ARA

I can get the Arrma Mega Granite for $135= $150 discount price - $15 coupon - No tax - Free shipping.

I really want to pull the trigger. Here are my questions:
  1. Is this a good buy? Let me hear your comments
  2. Is the mega line good? (not some super cheap trap that get me in. And i will be spending $$ keep it running) . I see tons of great reviews. Then lots of posts about breaking/replacing every parts within few weeks. What???? (is this expected for inexpensive RC??)
  3. Specifically it seems to get good online review for beginner start up. But is this brand reliablity ( i know about this brand is not popular in local hobby shops. Parts will be an issue. Need to go online for parts)
  4. Lastly i am choosing the Granite/Monster Truck because i thought i will be best for my boys and beginner to learn and have fun. Let me hear you if Short course or stadium trucks are better..

Thanks for helping this newie....

Chaos
Old 07-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

They're a hobby grade product that you will be able to find parts for. Maybe not at the local hobby shop but parts can easily be found online. Being so new to the hobby, they will get you "in the door" without breaking the bank if you decide it's not something you want to take further. There are MANY more higher dollar options out there. But if your simply looking to test your interest and see if you like it, they're a good place to start.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default thx

this is great feedback......
Old 07-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got back into the hobby with an arrma fury. It was a great truck for just getting started and with a few mods is actually much nicer than a slash. They are a part of the durango family which are very nice. Some of the characteristics carry over.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 PM
sac
Tech Regular

My local shop sells a lot of Arrma.There are some racing them ,Fury's and Votex's and do well with them .With that said its a great line to get started with and to get started into racing with without spending a lot.Also we have some of there 1/8th scale buggies running to and they go well for being a ready to run.
The local hobby shop carries ECX to ,but most chose the Arrma when compared side by side .