Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy! >

Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy!

Like Tree82Likes

Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRoach
It just dawned on my I need to get some pinion gears. I tried looking back through the thread but couldn't really find anything. Can I get some opinions on a range to get for 17.5 stock class? Running on Astro and Carpet. Thanks.
I am running a 7.5t motor and couldn't find any info on this thread but what I did find that the final drive is the same as an Associated B6. Your probably looking at a 28 pinion and a 78 spur.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
I am running a 7.5t motor and couldn't find any info on this thread but what I did find that the final drive is the same as an Associated B6. Your probably looking at a 28 pinion and a 78 spur.
When I had my D216 trying to find the final tranny ratio was a pain in the ass. I think when I had it figure out it was 2.37 to 2.39. In stock I ran 29/70 and 30/70.

Last edited by wyd; 01-19-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Originally Posted by wyd
When I had my D216 trying to find the final tranny ratio was a pain in the ass. I think when I had it figure out it was 2.37 to 2.39. In stock I ran 29/70 and 30/70.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wyd
Tranny gearing is easy. Top gear is 20 tooth. Differential is 49. 49/20 = 2.45.
wyd likes this.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone running this on carpet? I am running mine on CRC black carpet. The car turns in good but pushes hard on exit. I basically have a carpet setup from petit on the car. Wish I could get pics of the rear shock mod. Any advice?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just got the D216 and have the roller built. After reading this thread I probably should have passed on this car. Looks like I bought an unfinished project that has been scrapped by the company. I raced at a high level over 20years ago and was looking for a top notch race car I could build and go racing.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rlmxracer
I just got the D216 and have the roller built. After reading this thread I probably should have passed on this car. Looks like I bought an unfinished project that has been scrapped by the company. I raced at a high level over 20years ago and was looking for a top notch race car I could build and go racing.
So, what's your concern? Parts availability? It's a competitive buggy. In the end, regardless if HB abonandoned it or not, it will still perform the same.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Don’t think HB has abandoned this buggy its still being sold the kit and parts will be around for a while reguardless if they stop making the 2wd buggy with the stock parts some aftermarket.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just feel like this top of the line car should have been sold with a couple different shock spring options, a stiffer chassis (due to the rise in higher bite tracks), and a gearbox that is as bulletproof as the rest of the car. Then to hear HBs Star driver doesn’t even run it seems a bit concerning about the longevity of the platform and yes parts availability. Add to that the fact that HBs customer service is poor at best.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Prophet

I just feel like this top of the line car should have been sold with a couple different shock spring options, a stiffer chassis (due to the rise in higher bite tracks), and a gearbox that is as bulletproof as the rest of the car. Then to hear HBs Star driver doesn’t even run it seems a bit concerning about the longevity of the platform and yes parts availability. Add to that the fact that HBs customer service is poor at best.

Well I been getting parts mostly for rebuilds on the D413 for a good while and that’s a old buggy . My D413 is the same way on high bite clay I had to change a good amount of things but it’s better than it was on it . So you can get this buggy to work better on it even with the carbon chassis .

The two indoor clay tracks around me only one is pure clay the other are medium grip at best .
Old 01-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

I get your points. It really seems like HB's focus is on it's Nitro Buggy/Truggy team. They're in the process of making new revised buggies for the ever-changing conditions but I think it's on the back burner for now.

This car can be as good as the other cars if setup properly. I really like how it handles and is very easy to drive and was a great build.

There are several upgrades you can buy such as: aluminum chassis, aluminum top gear, aluminum top shaft, aluminum idler gear, motor mount, steering kit, etc. Exotek Racing makes all of these parts for this car.

Tuning options: you can buy different springs, it has adjustable castor built right in, multiple battery locations, etc. I don't think there is a kit that includes every type of spring for tuning. You have to buy those as option parts.

I run this car essentially stock with the exception of the transmission upgrades and it performs great.

The main reason anyone would buy this car is NOT for the "top of the line" status, but for the price. With how cheap this kit is, you shouldn't complain about anything. This is a great kit for the price. I only paid like $160 for the kit during a special and it was selling for $179 for the longest time. So you can pretty much buy two kits for the same price as an AE or TLR.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

We have to remember that 1/10 2wd is pretty much owned by AE. Even TLR who IMO is a distant number two in popularity just "Evo's" there platform. Same with AE. That's why people grumble about the next buggy from those two only have micro changes.
They are like an iPhone's. Good, popular but not really innovative.
HB is about in the same boat as Xray. Popular and niche in certain areas of the world. If you want not very innovative but has massive support and aftermarket options, get a B6 or 22 4.0. Well the 22 is quite a bit more innovative over the B6.
I have a B6 club racer and it's nice and there are 8000 posted setups for just about every track in the world. And just about every track there will be someone who can help you out.
I thought about getting a 22 4.0 for my mod car but at $350, it's hard to justify that kinda price when I got a D216 for $160. I'm no Brian Kinwald and only club race and the D216 is amazing even if it was over $300.
My guess is they are dumping kits to drum up interest and give people an option over a high dollar kit. Any manufacture who takes on producing a 2wd or 4wd 1/10 scale is going to see it as a loss leader but also see's it as being important to produce because they are the most popular form of RC racing.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
We have to remember that 1/10 2wd is pretty much owned by AE. Even TLR who IMO is a distant number two in popularity just "Evo's" there platform. Same with AE. That's why people grumble about the next buggy from those two only have micro changes.
They are like an iPhone's. Good, popular but not really innovative.
HB is about in the same boat as Xray. Popular and niche in certain areas of the world. If you want not very innovative but has massive support and aftermarket options, get a B6 or 22 4.0. Well the 22 is quite a bit more innovative over the B6.
I have a B6 club racer and it's nice and there are 8000 posted setups for just about every track in the world. And just about every track there will be someone who can help you out.
I thought about getting a 22 4.0 for my mod car but at $350, it's hard to justify that kinda price when I got a D216 for $160. I'm no Brian Kinwald and only club race and the D216 is amazing even if it was over $300.
My guess is they are dumping kits to drum up interest and give people an option over a high dollar kit. Any manufacture who takes on producing a 2wd or 4wd 1/10 scale is going to see it as a loss leader but also see's it as being important to produce because they are the most popular form of RC racing.
Don't get me started at who the iPhone is geared up for...haha.

As for the d216, they are purposely dumping it to the market to introduce it to the masses. The quantity that one vendor received and sold them for made it obvious. Now parts as obsolete as control arm bushings are in stock, parts are becoming fairly common and available for now.

If they gave us a tranny and diff option, there would be no other car on the market to look at for the price. Nothing can touch it at under $200.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Glad I picked up 2 of these when they were $150. Price seems to have risen up to $200 now.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soze
Glad I picked up 2 of these when they were $150. Price seems to have risen up to $200 now.
Saw that, I should of grabbed a few more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.