Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy! >

Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy!

Like Tree76Likes

Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy!

Reply

Old 02-15-2019, 07:18 AM
  #1336  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 57
Default

I used a xray idler in mine....bearing od was smaller but the id was the same worked like a charm and didnt need to change gearing
ahe243 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 AM
  #1337  
mes
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,479
Default

Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
Mine is getting a little loud now and looked into putting this b5m idler but couldn't find it. All I could find was the hardened steel one....
AE91429 seems to be discontinued, but may be still available e.g. on ebay. IIRC the original Yokomo YZ2/YZ-4 idler #Z2-503I dimensions are identical.
By the way, the number of teeth on an idler gear does not matter at all. As long as the topshaft and diff gear are the same, the transmission's internal gear ratio will remain the same. Just take a look at AE's laydown and layback transmissions, they are both 2.6:1 and use the same internals except for the idler gear.
JRSlash likes this.
mes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:50 PM
  #1338  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 29
Default

I read that the stock idler gear is prone to breaking. Have you guys had the same experience?
Lukeman269 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM
  #1339  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 75
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lukeman269 View Post
I read that the stock idler gear is prone to breaking. Have you guys had the same experience?
yep it's the material it's made of i think. i never bothered using mine it sits in the box as a backup spare for the unlikely event of needing it. I have just picked up a spares car which was std internals and chewed up idler in place still so confirmed for me that it is a 'thing' stripping the std one.

Last edited by chrisimp; 02-17-2019 at 10:41 AM.
chrisimp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:39 PM
  #1340  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Default Idler gear

Stay away from the aluminum idler gears. They will sharpen the teeth eventually stripping the diff gear.
HBracingRy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM
  #1341  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by HBracingRy View Post
Stay away from the aluminum idler gears. They will sharpen the teeth eventually stripping the diff gear.
I use the sepernt idle gear. Comes with 2 in a pack. I run my cars hard and they still look new.
HBracingRy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:06 AM
  #1342  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,623
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HBracingRy View Post
I use the sepernt idle gear. Comes with 2 in a pack. I run my cars hard and they still look new.
Are they a drop in fit or do you have to mod them or run different bearings or ect?
party_wagon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:38 AM
  #1343  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 29
Default

Originally Posted by HBracingRy View Post
I use the sepernt idle gear. Comes with 2 in a pack. I run my cars hard and they still look new.
Could you post a link or the part number please?
Lukeman269 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:15 AM
  #1344  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
JRSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 974
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I just installed a Robinson racing steel idler for the b5 car. The gear is 1mm wider which I shaved the molded shims of the gear case and shimmed the idler as needed. Transmission is super smooth and quiet now. Note that the RR idler uses different bearings that are the same size as the top shaft.
JRSlash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:14 PM
  #1345  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Default Serpent srx mh 3 gear

Originally Posted by Lukeman269 View Post
Could you post a link or the part number please?
Serpent # SER500525. You will need new bearings. There the same size as a nitro clutch bell if you have any spares. I think there 5x10x4mm.
HBracingRy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 AM
  #1346  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
mustangkillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,088
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I'm trying to get more mid corner and under acceleration steering. What have you guys had luck with. I've tried shocks and alignment mods, and some weight on the front end. Anyone able to get this thing to swing around any better?
mustangkillaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 AM
  #1347  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 75
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Never had issues with swinging around the center point. What surface are you on? how is slow speed turning, can you afford to remove grip from the rear to allow the rotation to be increased (harder springs, roll bar 1.4, stiffer oil to stop the lean, top link position/washer spacing) battery inline or sideways. I mainly run on high grip and have to run a front roll bar to limit the amount of turn sometimes.

One thing at a time, each round and see what effect the change made, one thing Ive found about the d216 is the smallest change can make a great difference so easy to go to far one way or the other.

Another thing I found felt nice was to increase the width/track of the front by adding 2mm spacers to the wishbone mounting points on the bulkhead. also I run 20k diff oil pretty much everywhere now!.... Ball diff might be in for the weekend if it arrives in time for me to build it so that will be interesting to see the changes!


Edit: I also run the std chassis now with brace washers turned upside down and a b6.1D waterfall/chassis brace on the transmission which has locked down the rear end so not asmuch flex there allowing the suspension at the rear to do the work and the front flexes more for the front end traction etc

Chris

Last edited by chrisimp; 05-08-2019 at 05:18 AM.
chrisimp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:20 PM
  #1348  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
mustangkillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,088
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by chrisimp View Post
Never had issues with swinging around the center point. What surface are you on? how is slow speed turning, can you afford to remove grip from the rear to allow the rotation to be increased (harder springs, roll bar 1.4, stiffer oil to stop the lean, top link position/washer spacing) battery inline or sideways. I mainly run on high grip and have to run a front roll bar to limit the amount of turn sometimes.

One thing at a time, each round and see what effect the change made, one thing Ive found about the d216 is the smallest change can make a great difference so easy to go to far one way or the other.

Another thing I found felt nice was to increase the width/track of the front by adding 2mm spacers to the wishbone mounting points on the bulkhead. also I run 20k diff oil pretty much everywhere now!.... Ball diff might be in for the weekend if it arrives in time for me to build it so that will be interesting to see the changes!


Edit: I also run the std chassis now with brace washers turned upside down and a b6.1D waterfall/chassis brace on the transmission which has locked down the rear end so not asmuch flex there allowing the suspension at the rear to do the work and the front flexes more for the front end traction etc

Chris
Thanks for the input, Chris.
I'm on med to high traction clay. I'm now noticing that my vrp pistons have less blow by than stock and I need to do thinner oil. I'm using 15k in the diff IIRC, but am gonna put some heavier stuff in, that's helping swing the back out and around under power. I'm also gonna add a little more front droop, that might help mid corner, on power push.

I'm on the hb alum chassis. I also have the exotek battery bracket arm.

Cg changed with arms are pretty much my next move. May add a little more camber in the rear, too.
mustangkillaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM
  #1349  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 29
Default

I do enjoy the ball diff. I would recommend it if you have some extra cash. Feels really locked in on med/high bite clay. I have used it outdoors on loose dirt as well with good results. Feels like it has better forward bite with the ball diff.
Lukeman269 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service