R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default OS v-spec question.. need help

im trying to put the clutch assembly on my OS v-spec, its going fine, but the only problem im having is that it doesnt turn over by hand, it moves half way on each side back and forth. so i took the glow plug out and it turns over pretty good, but i can feel like grinding and binding in the bottom, im thinking its the bearing also feels like theres no compression? can anybody help me out thanx! also only has 1 gallon threw it ( got it 2nd hand) but was rebuilt and broken in b4 sold!
Pinnacle003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
gkb
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to gkb

i'm looking at buying one of these engines. please let me know what you find out.
gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The engine is not broken in yet. The grinding that you are feeling is known as "pinch" it is a tight fit between the piston and sleeve at the top of the travel, not the bottom. The piston kind of forges itself to the correct fit during break in and the first gallon of fuel.
You will have the best results if you heat the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer before attempting to start it (helps all of the metal parts to expand correctly). If it has been run before the needles should be in the ball park.
Run the engine for 3-4 minutes at a time EASY, no full throttle. Allow the engine to cool completely between runs and always turn the flywheel so that the piston is at the bottom of the stroke immediately after running. Leaving the piston up in the streoke will prematurely expand your sleeve. The temperatures need to be in the 200F* range to seat the parts.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.

Last edited by Davidka; 10-27-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Yep! What David said......Good advice!
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Tech Adept

i just talked to the guy and it turns out, it was never rebuilt, he says its just all the compression, because its so new. he never had a problem with it, so im not sure, the only thing he ever did as regarding taking things apart is that when he put the 30% shim on the head because he ran 20% in it... does this help??
Pinnacle003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
gkb
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to gkb

I have read that the bearings on these things go after 2 gallons, has this problem been resolved?
gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Yes there have been some that have had bearing problems. It is usually the rear bearing that goes first. You can tell when it starts to go bad buy the way the engines sounds. If and when it does go bad you can replace it pretty cheap with a new Boca bearing, 25-35 bucks. They are very quick engines if you take care of them and are very easy to tune.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:01 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

yea the V spec is great for the price only 350 at radio model supplies online and the best boca bearing will be $50AU a pair , front and rear
DaRaceMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you have any experience with nitro motors, you should take it all apart and make sure everything is good.

It would totally suck to have the engine self-destruct on your first tank.

I used to have a V-Spec, very powerful engine. I got rid of mine after the first gallon when I heard rumors that they don't last too long.
WeatherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

i run a v spec easy to tune have had bearin problems yet the motor is worth puttin in a new bearing in every two or three gallons. i run ten minutes on a tank during races use 30% no shim bling bling 1.o springs mugen black shoes
desdad is offline   Reply With Quote