R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Front 1 way? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/88341-front-1-way.html)

Northynorthy 10-25-2005 12:34 PM

Front 1 way?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a front 1 way diff over a 1 way on the layshaft or prop in a 4wd? I've never used one so don't know.

Cheers

G

Platinum_Racing 10-25-2005 12:56 PM

Try posting this in the Electric or Nitro On-Road forum. Most off-road vehicles, with the exception of some old Tamiya's, don't use one way bearings. They make braking a real pain and give no power to the wheels in reverse. When they are pulling they pull both at the same speed and power, so there is no diff.

Northynorthy 10-25-2005 01:04 PM

I'd have said that most do have one ways.

Losi's
Schumachers
Preds
etc..

Which ones don't?

Cherrs

G

Derby Bros Racing 10-25-2005 01:06 PM

braking is really essential in offroad, so i don't know if the oneway will really give an andvantage. it's understandable in big sweeping onroad tracks where brakes are hardly used.

Scottmisfits 10-25-2005 01:31 PM

If the 2wd's can get around the track I don't think a 4wd with a one way would be much different. It is a different driving style and a different set up but it shouldn't be a problem at all.

o.s. power 10-25-2005 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Northynorthy
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a front 1 way diff over a 1 way on the layshaft or prop in a 4wd? I've never used one so don't know.

Cheers

G

some people will tell you that having a front oneway is essential for off road. I don't have one yet, but from what I have seen at my local track, everyone has a oneway front diff.

on road is another story. When on an asphalt track, it is truly essential to have a front one way, using one on carpet is a toss up. Some people say they are terrible, but mostly people have never tried one because everyone says they don't work. There is a good thread on here that links to the xray forums where a guy is using a oneway on carpet with pretty good sucess. here is the link: xray forums

Platinum_Racing 10-25-2005 01:45 PM

The only off-road truck I own with a one way is a Tamiya Bruiser. The one way serves as protection from high speed turning, as the truck has no differentials. The soft axles that feed spider gears can strip easily, so in 2nd or 3rd gear when the front axle isn't spinning the wheels the one way helps to protect the shaft and increase turn in slightly.The one way is located in the front left wheel hub, not in the diff housing as most vehicles.

I guess if you want a bit more turn in you can go with a one way, but I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons. Ask around at your track and see what the hot setup is.

LightningStruck 11-02-2005 07:10 AM

I've run both pretty successfully on my XXX-4. Track was high bite/damp. What really changes is braking, stability, and turning. The biggest handicap I found was that driving in traffic was much more difficult because you have to drive smooth and can't change lines as fast because you can't decellerate and throw the car into the corner because you will get loose. I had to change driving styles with the one-way to a smoother style, but lap times really didn't improve nor did I get slower. But this is also without changing anything in the suspension, so I'm sure there's a bit more to be had with the oneway since the chassis was optimized for the ball diff.

But FYI: Most drivers run one ways in 4wd

Scrubb 11-02-2005 07:25 AM

increases steering in an off-road 4wd application.

LightningStruck 11-03-2005 11:10 AM

Before you switch from a ball diff to a one way, try overdriving the front if that's available. Atleast on my XXX-4 I noticed more of a difference overdriving the front than I did with the one way. It also really depends on track conditions and the types of corners. If you have a long straight with a hairpin at the end, you probably will want to stick with a ball diff..

It's all in the combination though.

Mr-s413bt 11-03-2005 01:18 PM

Heya.

90% of 4wd competition cars come with a centre/front oneway of some sort and its been this way for years!!

I have personally used one in EVERY 4wd i have had since the yokomo works 91!!

Glenn

1 Xtreme R/C 11-04-2005 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by LightningStruck
Before you switch from a ball diff to a one way, try overdriving the front if that's available. Atleast on my XXX-4 I noticed more of a difference overdriving the front than I did with the one way. It also really depends on track conditions and the types of corners. If you have a long straight with a hairpin at the end, you probably will want to stick with a ball diff..

It's all in the combination though.

I run an overdriven front diff in my XXX-4 and my X-5, works great for me. I also like all 4 tires grabing when I stand on the brakes coming into a corner hard. Most of our tracks in the nothwest are loose and loamy, the overdriven front seems to pull through the corners well. I also like the front diff for jumping, if you get out of whack in the air its easy to correct.