Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Keep Blowing My Slash 4x4 Rear Differential Gears! >

Keep Blowing My Slash 4x4 Rear Differential Gears!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keep Blowing My Slash 4x4 Rear Differential Gears!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default Keep Blowing My Slash 4x4 Rear Differential Gears!

So this is my second slash 4x4 platinum I'm building. The first one was the original chassis eventually converted to rally use with a Kyosho IGT1 Subaru WRC body and sold. Power plant was just the stock VXL system only upgrades in it were servo, shocks, and RPM arms only.

This time I had a bit more cash so I decided to go all out for just a rig I can run anytime I want any weather condition. Got a new Slash 4x4 ultimate platinum again...sold off all stock electronics. Dropped in a self waterproofed MMP/Castle 2400kv system to run 4s at all times. RPM towers and arms added. Hinge pins never gave me issues in my previous slash so I didn't upgrade them.

I found it odd that this new more expensive rig had plastic hexes so I purchased Traxxas aluminum hexes along with their Traxxas bell crank steering and dropped in a self waterproofed Hitec 5645MG. Chassis is completely stock I see no issue with it being that I only plan to bash with it. Also dropped in a Robinson Gen3 slipper.

Upgraded the center to Tekno RC's larger driveshaft and reinforced cups. Upgraded Mip X Dutys on all 4. Of course being the ultimate knuckles and c's were already aluminum.

Dropped in a KHZ motor mount since I will be pushing tons of juice and can't afford to deal with a blown out bearing.

Tires are Trecher premounted...not very much ballooning unless I'm at top speed but u can never reach full speed before something breaks.

Last night I blew my rear differential again! Are there any upgrades I can do to the internals?! I think I must have punched the throttle too hard while in a sharp turn.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Lots of diff discussion in this thread..XO-1 diff seem to be the fix. Enjoy!

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...fferential-cup
Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you hitting the throttle when the car is on its side (on two wheels)? That pretty
much instantaneously blows out Traxxas diffs in my experience.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you hitting the throttle when the car is on its side (on two wheels)? That pretty
much instantaneously blows out Traxxas diffs in my experience.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

I took apart the rear differential just now. The ring gear has a good amount of material grinded down by the pinion gear. The internals are 100% intact and fine plus still heavily greased and the plastic diff cup was fine.

I only noticed slow acceleration many the motor spinning louder and louder as if it was not u he right gear. I did not to wheel the rig.,..I may have turned too sharp and gunned it too fast on th exit. I was practicing in the local street concrete. Turns out the pinion gear in the motor was also a bit chewed up...

Suggestions?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

I took apart the rear differential just now. The ring gear has a good amount of material grinded down by the pinion gear. The internals are 100% intact and fine plus still heavily greased and the plastic diff cup was fine.

I only noticed slow acceleration many the motor spinning louder and louder as if it was not u he right gear. I did not to wheel the rig.,..I may have turned too sharp and gunned it too fast on th exit. I was practicing in the local street concrete. Turns out the pinion gear in the motor was also a bit chewed up...

Suggestions?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Just ordered a pair of XO-1 diffs. Should I also upgrade the cups to FLM or Hot Racing? Or stock is fine?